Where to live in the UK...help requested | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where to live in the UK...help requested

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by arizonaitalian, Apr 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ahhh ok . Well ,Ealing is nowadays quite a busy place with traffic a hassle. Plenty of pubs/restaurants etc. I had friends living there going back 15 years.Green space Ealing Common but its surrounded by those busy roads!Good fun if you are 20/30 and want a busy life.Don't go anywhere near Acton/Southall area,unless you want to near a Mosque.

Ruislip is a bit further out of course so if you can find a place not too far from the station that would be my pic of the two,but i do not know it well .Plenty of nice smaller villages not too far from there.There are buses of course but it is often a hassle especially when the weather not too great hanging around waiting for one. .much nicer to drive/park at the station.If it's walkable then great!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ealing really is part of London and quite urban whereas Ruislip is more rural (not a lot but enough) and from its location you have better access to roads getting you out of London - also compared with initial suggestions you are simplifying the commute which is no bad thing

Keep asking we're glad to be helping

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks gents. We are back in Poland now and then off to the USA for summer. So we won't be back in the UK for house hunting (rental) until August or September (her start date is Oct 1). So we are relying on Google maps and web searches - and you guys - to help us develop a picture of those suburbs.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Jesus...sorry to hear that!:D

Better be one fing big pot of gold at the end of that.

Bas likes this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's the plan! The grim north, definitely not for me:D:eek:

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Newport itself is not that nice a town, but the surrounding area and countryside is lovely and only a short commute, 20 mins drive and its stunning.

If you like rural then property North and East of the town is fairly priced, if you prefer urban then head to Cardiff, again only a 20 min commute and you could be living in Penarth where I am, voted best town in Wales to live recently. You are then only an hours drive from the Gower with its amazing beaches or Brecon for mountain views and walks. Its no wetter here then the rest of the UK.

Avoid London at all cost, vastly overpriced and gridlocked most days. You can add at least 2 hours to your working day just crawling along in traffic.

7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I'm probably biased as I've been here all my life. It's not that bad. We do like to moan about the weather a little but even that seems to be improving lately (the weather not the moaning :p).
    That said I've never been to Portugal. Keep saying we will try it but currently haven't got around to it.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't get me wrong, I'll manage ;). But the weather is ****e. Especially for someone like me whose so used to living in places with sunny climates :D:eek:.

I like portugal but underestimated the temperature of the ocean. Or lack of temperature, rather. I've lived in Spain as well and the sea was warmer in May than it was here in August! Deal breaker in the end, for me. Fantastic surf, ruined by the temperature.

MalcQV likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Heheh, you should come further north Bas, it's a bit colder! But of course, real northern men such as i don't mind about it! :)
    Really, we do have amazing beaches but to get decent temperature on the water you must go to Algarve. But despite the cold water, beaches are still a very nice place, last year for example the weather was so good that even the water was nice up here.
    And ate least you can always count on good food and good beer :)
    I'm actually thinking of going to London in September with my wife and daughter, never been there and it should be nice for a couple of days...will ask for directions if i do decide to do it!

MalcQV and Bas like this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If I where to do Portugal again I would go to Algarve indeed.

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Funny as it's one of the least atractive places for me to live in...i go there almost every year in vacation, i did it before with my friends and it was a blast, then i went with my girlfriend for several years and it very cool, than we got married and took our daughter, but prices started to increase like crazy over there and we have a flat in the beach just 30min from our house, water is obviously a bit cold, but the beach is greta, and we have bikes and lot of places to use them along the coastline, and i prefer to use the money to go abroad and visit other places. Algarve is nice to visit, but a bit boring when yor're not on vacations.

Bas likes this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Count yourself lucky. Could be worse...could be north of Hadrian's wall ;)

MalcQV likes this.
  13. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Acton varies depending which part. The bit my brother lives in is actually quite nice with a couple of parks nearby, but very urban otherwise. And Southall is full of Sikh temples - not mosques! But great if you like a good curry :)
    But agree, Ruislip is the best bet.

14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I was born in Bradford..........don’t go there lol

Ferrari 308 GTB and Bas like this.
  15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :D I worked in Bradford. However it is the shortest ever job I have had - 9 months and it was a staff position.
    Actually I did not mind Bradford. I was on the edge of the city but had to walk in to the centre twice a day (storing offline data on tapes) but the the trek from Manchester up the M62 and M606 with traffic and back was crap. Along with me getting bored with the job I gave it up and came to work where I still currently reside. That was 2006.

Oengus likes this.
  16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Traffic is/was horrible
    I was born at St Luke’s hospital.... things have changed lol

17. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I live in Central London. In the last six months, I've taken the tube out to the Ruislip area, visiting friends. I'm amazed and delighted by the village community/small town feel to the area,

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That’s great to hear! We didn’t have time to get out there during our time in London, so everything we know about the area we learned from google.

She is scheduled to start work in September, so we will go to London for a house hunting trip in August. Will likely even stay out in ruislip area to get a feel for the area.

19. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    I live about a mile away from Ruislip and have lived in the area for over 25 years. So shout if you if see something you like and want me to take a look.
    There’s a couple of parts to Ruislip most are really nice and one or two spots that aren’t.

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thank you for the wonderful offer. I’ll take you up on that as we start to look for a home a bit later this summer.

21. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    No probs. Just let me know. As a headline avoid the following : Ruislip Gardens, South Ruislip.
    If you DM me I will share my email address.

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the real question is: for how long?

if it is just for a few years, go to london (chelsea area).

everything else will get old fast.

if it is for the rest of your life, i would still choose london, and have another place to go to outside of london.

london is expensive, and a pita......but like oscar wilde said: when a man is tired of london, he is tired of life.

flying there on sunday.....

23. Don_Alexander

Don_Alexander Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    London/Dubai
    Barnes in SW London is a great place to live.

I was stuck deciding when splitting my time between Dubai and the UK.

I was first looking at places outside of London but soon realised how secluded it would be. I also looked at central London but the massive lack of parking was a big issue for me.

London is a difficult place to tick all the boxes, Barnes however did.

Very nice houses, with off-street parking. It feels like you are not in London, you are surrounded by commons/wooded area's.

Very nice restaurants and pubs. Small family owned and chains.

Very safe, although everywhere has its bad parts.

Lastly, SW Trains, Barnes to Waterloo passing Vauxhall etc in about 14 minutes. From there you can get anywhere in London fast.

Although the Hammersmith bridge closure is a pain, you are still central to Chiswick and Putney Bridge when driving.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yep, hole up in the rural SW. You will at least get time to aim when Corbyn's commissars come marching down your lane.

Bas likes this.
  25. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    you'll enjoy it in Manchester, the city is on a growth spurt at the moment

it's easy and cheap relative to London to live in the city here and a few hundred k gets you a nice apartment with a couple of car parking spaces.

I lived in London for awhile, lots of opportunity and money to be made but the price of living there is crippling for most. Live as close to central as you can afford or the commute just makes an already exhausting day even worse

Bas likes this.