LaFerrari Off Road in the Rain | FerrariChat

LaFerrari Off Road in the Rain

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariFR33458, May 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  3. stocky

stocky Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Bolton , England.
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looks like "Tax the Rich" are making movies again.

luigisayshello and Albert-LP like this.
  4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Two things come to mind:

1. Money doesn't buy class.
    2. You can't save people from themselves.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yes, can clearly see Harry Hunt as the driver. Seems like he uses his rally racing experience on whatever he can drive on that Heveningham Hall property...

luigisayshello likes this.
  6. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    his house, his cars. So the la ferrari got some mud on it which was washed off and bemused a few sheep in the field, who cares about class when you're just having some light hearted fun whilst hurting no one -at least he actually drives his cars.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    As you can do whatever you want with your properties, why not driving your Hypercar in the mud and gravel. Ok. But, please, don't show me that in a video!! ;)

ciao

joe sackey likes this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Of course he can do what he wants with his or his daddy's property.

A person can drive his cars off a cliff for all some people care, it's entirely the owner's prerogative, we all understand this basic concept.

That said, many Ferrari owners manage to use their cars the way Enzo intended, on the road & on the track, not on muddy fields, and IMO the latter is just foolishness borne of boredom.

We are talking about dream cars, the objects of lifetime goals of hard work for most people, valuable pieces of automotive art, multimillion-dollar Supercars that will sustain significant damage from rocks & gravel if used as such, they are not off-road vehicles or rally cars, and they ought to know the the difference and show some respect to the cars and to those that hold them in high esteem.

Personally, I view all their videos as quite childish and without any redeeming qualities whatsoever, for their next act they can drive their cars through a wall of fire for all I care and they're still not going to get a thumbs up from most people who actually know what these cars are and how they can & should be used.

IMO, where these cars are concerned, class matters, respect also.

Makuono, Caeruleus11 and ag512bbi like this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a damn car. Made by man, with nuts and bolts and some fancy plastics. There is NOTHING special about it, other then how it is marketed to its client base. Sure they have "limited" production, but at any point in time, the car could be reproduced, the design sold to Toyota, and all of a sudden, you have a million of the things on the road.

Neat car, but if the guy wants to kill it, fix it and kill it again..that's up to him. Jack up the vin number and drive a new car underneath..that's how "special" this car really is.

10. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #10 ASK328, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    One man’s treasure is another’s man’s trash. If that’s his house he drives by then perhaps the car isn’t important at all monetarily - blow the motor, order a new one.

When I see a LaFerrari I personally couldn’t even imagine driving it never mind owning it.

Also it being the owners son presumably driving, makes it very easy to dislike.

11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    #11 willcrook, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Yes, you are fully entitled to drive your car off a cliff whereas he clearly would rather keep the tyres closed to the ground- their La Ferrari has clocked up over 20,000 miles which as far as I'm aware is more than every single publicly listed car for sale's mileage combined.

RE: dream cars - If you want the general opinion of what people who dream of and hold these cars in high esteem then look at the youtube comments for the various taxtherich videos, they aren't perceiving these acts as needless destruction of beauty but rather applauding the fact the cars are actually being used instead of sitting idle in a collection as an investment.

There's no doubt the videos are childish but I still standby it's light hearted fun and a world away from defacing the Mona Lisa.

"IMO, where these cars are concerned, class matters"
    Completely disagree and that sounds quite snobbish I think.

These are sports cars designed to be driven and enjoyed by anyone lucky enough to have the money. I'd rather see someone without class win the lottery, buy a La Ferrari, put loads of miles on it having fun than some wealthy collector just stick it in the garage with delivery miles forever.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I liked the Enzo video as there was some skills in that. Here, it looks like the typical pedal to the floor and that's it. The last portion is just pathetic.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No matter the so-called general opinion of many misguided people out there, I just don't buy that trashing these cars is somehow better than driving them occasionally on the road & track, and the notion that they are to be saluted because nobody else is using their cars is BS, I have at least one client with a LaF with @ 10,000 miles used the way the car was designed on road & track, and several of the LaFs on a previous Cavalcade had over 5,000 miles and are used as often as possible. The notion that they are the only ones driving their LaF is nonsense, my local dealer has one in there for service with 7,200 miles.

By "class" I meant discerning maturity, good judgement etc, if anyone is being snobbish it is them! By making these videos they seek to convey "Look I am so rich I can trash my Ferrari Supercar and I don't care!" the epitome of snobbery.

Yes these are sports cars, but they were designed to be driven on road & track, not on gravel farm tracks and on fields.

IMO, despite today's political-correctness, if someone voluntarily decides to act like a bit of a ****, we should be able to call their behavior as such, just as when some one acts admirably or commendably we should be able to say so too. Accordingly, if someone posts something with controversial content in the public domain, they are going to get a reaction, and not necessarily the one they want.

To Albert's point, if all this Supercar offloading ad nauseum was truly just about sneaking a bit of private fun because he can, you & I would never have seen these videos! The fact that the videos are published publicly tells you everything you need to know.

The two words Attention Whore come to mind for me.

ag512bbi likes this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    And may I add (in case you think I'm being a bit harsh), ag512bbi is a La Ferrari owner, see what he thinks as posted above.

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I just feel it's such a privilege to own some of these cars, And you all are correct. To each his own.
    Joe, Your comment: "The fact that the videos are published publicly tells you everything you need to know." Hit the nail on the head. He is getting the reaction/attention he is looking for. NOT FOR ME!

joe sackey likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Exactly.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Not his house and not his car, but as evident in the video no one seems to care.

18. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    Whether or not the general public is 'misguided' or not is irrelevant, you claimed that those who aspire to owning a car would find the video offensive and I'm simply pointing out that's not the case and is quite the opposite.

Just because you can provide examples of a few people who actually use their cars it doesn't change the fact that most aren't. I wasn't claiming they were the only ones but simply stating 20,0000 miles is many more than most owners and is a good thing.

I think it's subjective as to whether or not the videos are snobbish, I personally think not and most agree, it's almost perceived by most as an antidote to seeing hypercars solely driving around London at 10mph in traffic for most of their lives.

I'm genuinely surprised you think they're acting like a ****, their video(s) are really not that controversial and no one was harmed or endangered.

I'm aware it's not his house or cars but with it being within the family I think it's practically equal.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #19 joe sackey, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    We're still talking about this? ;)

Look, you have your thoughts on this and I respect them, I really do.

I feel differently, as described above.

I've actually felt this way for years, and the way I feel about this subject just isn't going to change.

FWIW, I view Ferrari Supercars from the perspective of an owner, and from the perspective of a professional who specializes in them.

I speak to a lot of people in the Ferrari world offline and their views on this topic mirror mine, the difference is, unlike me, they're generally not inclined to state their views publicly, that said there obviously is room for contrary views also, which is why these videos are made and published.

We can agree to disagree like gentlemen.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    agreed.

joe sackey likes this.
  21. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Not to bring it up again, But I'd love to hear from ONLY LaF owners on this subject. I just can't see many of the fortunate few doing this to their car.

TG likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As you know, a fair number of my clients are fortunate to own one, and fortunate is indeed the operative word which they consider themselves to be, having worked hard over the years to be in a position to be able to afford one.

The ones I have spoken to about this topic had a private reaction that mirrors yours as stated above.

As a simple matter of economics, anytime you take a low-slung Supercar and abuse it by racing off-road through gravel & mud as if it were a rally car, the damage done by rocks, debris & mud to brakes, suspension, under-trays, lower body-work and more is not insignificant, we are talking five-figure thousands of dollars in repair costs.

I'd also be interested to see if another LaF owner condones using their LaF as an off-road rally-car, if anyone else does, I can arrange participation in a proper rally event down in Baja with a Pro Rally driver at the wheel.

ag512bbi likes this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    once something has been posted on the ol' interweb, it NEVER goes away.
    Video of your 'questionable' (trying to be polite) behavior deserves to be preserved for all time.

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe a sheep dog next time?

25. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #25 Makuono, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Well...I guess its up to values.

What does and individual values/respects the most: the asset, money, heritage or social media's likes and comments.

And from those, which are the ones less ephemeral?

I wouldn't do it in a million years - even if I could afford a LaF. I can't do it on my current cars even.