mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 95 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Valid concern, I'm trying to think of the american car, ever, that was prasied for its steering. But still we're in the 2ks and vettes have come a long way. Based on my most recent german (mercedes and Bmw) experience its not as though the fatherland produces cars with great steering either. Perhaps its going off topic, but seems today most cars are wired to be semi autonomous and islolated. Manufactuerers figure no one knows or cares anymore.

We are seeing some interesting diversions though. Some ports car manufacturers, proche ,mazda to name two have also figured out that at least some sports car buyers want a sportscar, stick great controll feel, tactility as opposed to yet another GT car masquesrading behind paper specs. So theres hope, its a real viable market niche. Wheter the vette team can make one this platform dance two tunes is an open question, wheter they even care is another.

Back toy our seerign point. In 07 I was at the lotus factory gettig their verion or the maranello tour circa 1960. I asked what life ahd been like at Lotus under GM,
    The lead ride and handling enginer told me of the different culture. Namely that GM wnated torque specs for steerign feel, as in how much resitance/torque a good steerign should have. Nick Adams response was I dotn know, go out and drive the car uses your arms and hands to feel the steering and egineer it to be right, each car is different.

We talk of the art of driving, the feel and experince of it. Thats something specs cant design in, its the huma component. I'm sure the team has peopel who understand and know exactly what this is, whether they are allowed to do ti, whether its evena goal is a question. But thats ONE difference between great paper number AND AGREAT CAR.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^^
    Two points:
    I have said for many months that we have NOT seen the final scoop shape and this seems to confirm there is a lot of material under the camo to hide the shape.
    I pray that the "wing" spoiler is NOT part of the Z51 package but rather a shockingly ugly "camo" item to throw off the render guy's renders of the rear end.

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Every time it see that rear spoiler I am reminded of this view >

Image Unavailable, Please Login

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^^
    Now you're being cruel to steer horns....:)

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    In regards to steering the best car I have owned/tracked from a steering perspective was the C5Z. That car communicated to you through both the steering wheel and your butt. Once you got to know the car it really communicated to you. Side note: was watching a youtube last night of a F355 being driven and I was surprised at how much wheel input you had to do in order to do basic turns. A lot more than I have done previously. Would this have anything to do with steering feel and feedback is my question?

7. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Sorry for going off topic, and not to pee all over the 355 - because I own one and love it - but the 355 has no steering feel, none. It's so over powered that it's numb. In no way does it compare to the electric steering in my Mustang or Boxster which both have great feeling and feedback. The steering is the only drawback I find with the 355, luckily the engine sound more than over compensates for it.

Back on topic. I'm eagerly awaiting July 18, while I debate with myself about buying a C7 now to have one of the last front engined Vettes, been discussing some numbers with Kerbeck but feel I should wait to see what the C8 finally is, although by midJuly I think the inventory of manual transmission C7s will have dried up. Tough call.

Eric R and of2worlds like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The trend in general has been for less turns lock to lock steering. This should not effect the feel though the feedback seems to be something of a black art that EPS has a hard time replicating compared to the old hydraulic steering. Ferrari was criticized for too fast steering in the F12. McLaren rejected electric steering. Porsche has continued to improve their EPS feel but everything is a tradeoff where you gain in one area and feel cheated in another!

Eric R likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    355 was the first me Ferrari to go to power steering. Some people way prefer the later versions of the 348 because it had manual steering. The 348 also had a far less maintance intensive 4 valve motor.

Have no idea what a video showing some drivers steering inputs means.

Imo the best by far of any power steering system I ever drove was the one ina 997.2 gt3, that steering the accuracy and flow of the throttle coupled with the shift feel made that car one of the truly greats. For sure it had other flaws as all cars do, but those 3 key elements were spot on.

It’s rumored that when the first Miata was being designed they benchmarked an Elan,
    Steering feel, shiftvquality and engine sound , then engineered those same traits into the mx5 as well they could.

I would say any car manufacturer would do well to benchmark the 997.2 gt3 o. Steering shift and throttle response/accuracy. Even porche today can’t get there.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    So...there's no perfect car....who knew?

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    au contraire; there is the 1967 Corvette!
    well except maybe for the drive-in :D

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And there are a few great cars that are ruined by a few mistakes in engineering or judgement.

But if you look at the most important factor it always comes back to styling.

13. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    As an incredibly important person once said: design - it’s important!!!

14. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Here it is! Oh, wait... that's the new McLaren GT! Just watch - The C8 will be a near visual clone. Given the impressive stats and comfort capabilities of this new Mac, it looks like they have beaten Chevy to the punch and at their own game (albeit for a far greater amount of money).

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Chevy better really be taking the side scoop off the C8. Otherwise, McLaren might scream plagiarism! :D

SAT4RE likes this.
  16. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    I'm sure all the McLaren owners that spend 3 times the price will be thrilled to have their cars mistaken for a chevy..

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wow...thats a boring design

boxerman and CK7684 like this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  19. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    They have out corvetted-corvette. Great design given its mission.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    WOW does that look like the C8!

jm2 and SAT4RE like this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, this is my favorite Mac design so far. Very nice.

I still can't stand the 80's Pontiac "sunglasses" taillights.

Such a pity they cover up the engine but that's the way of things today.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. FerrariF430boy

Sep 22, 2007
    orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    gustavo
    Motor trend’s rendition of the new C8.

I think it looks fantastic. If we’re going off by the assumption that GM is still throwing a curveball with the “faux” side vent and instead wraps around the edge of the door line, then I’d think we may have a great looking car on our hands.

k wright likes this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby