82 GTB #41561 on Ebay | FerrariChat

82 GTB #41561 on Ebay

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinoart, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    There's a 82 GTB on Ebay red/tan with all the books & tools. It looks like a nice original driver 29K miles with a few modification but correctable. It has original TRX wheels and tires. Seller mentioned a belt service is needed. The price has been reduced twice to 45K with OBO but no taker. Can someone do some explanation? I did some research from other threads on Fchat. It looks like there are only 141 GTBs made for the 82 year and 494 total for 80-82. For these numbers it should be very rare IMO. Is it because the lack of power on the 80-82? or just the market is dictating the price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113723984601?ul_noapp=true

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The market always dictates the price; the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    ...sorely tempted! Seems an unreasonable discount for not having carbs or 4V. I'll show it to my wife just so that I can say "told you so" in a few years :)

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's a 2Vi. That - and the fact that they are my favorites - aren't enough to create an increase in value based on the low production number.

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Yup the 2v’s are the mondial 8’s of the Ferrari world. Also seems to me the 308 market in general is down a bit. I’ve seen what appear to be decent examples of 4valve cars being listed in the 50’s and it is spring prices usually tick up a bit.

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    ... and it's gone

7. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Shoulda coulda... I thought about it. But import to Ca will cost an extra 16K. 10k for belt service, "while you're in there" extra stuff, passing smog which is not guarantee. 6 K for license & registration out of state cars assuming you re not passing 30 days window and then there are hefty fines. Suddenly it's going to be 60k $ car assuming motor and trans are in good order:(.

8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Uh forgot another $1k+ shipping from TX to CA.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I really hope you aren't paying 10K for belt services

Ryan... and 308 milano like this.
  10. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    This is not a helpful response. There ARE certainly reasons beyond generic statements like "things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them."

He's asking for your help deciphering those reasons. Your insights are appreciated and can help the group! Do you have any thoughts on the subject?

Newman likes this.
  11. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    No. Belt service around here is about 5k, and then water pump, valve adjustment, new plugs and wires, water hoses etc. I can go on on and on my last 85 QV GTS imported from Maryland two years ago.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    One of my least favourite statements that I don't swallow. You could have a buyer at the time that is cheap and their timing is right. They scored a deal but if you have two motivated buyers does that mean suddenly the car is worth more? No. It just means it sold for more. Has nothing to do with "worth" because worth is a moving target based on countless variables but based mainly on the personality of the buyer and the sellers circumstances at that moment.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Belts alone should be a grand, tops.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Or how much two rich guys focusing on the same car at Auction have had to drink.

derekw likes this.
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I can't tell if you're being snarky towards me, or seriously asking my opinion. I'll go with, and hope for, the latter.

I'll stand by my statement, despite some (hi Newman - btw, huge respect for you and your work) may not care for it: It's worth what people will pay for it. I saw a thread last week in another model's sub-forum, where someone was bemoaning the low prices being offered to an owner. They staunchly declared "it's easily worth $X." I beg to differ, as I found 3-5 comparable models on eBay selling for $20K less. It's true an owner might value their OWN car for $100K, but that doesn't mean anyone else does. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $85K, but it's certainly not insured at that value; the market - I promise - wouldn't pay $85K for my car. What it would take for me to sell it isn't anything more than what I personally value it at.

In any case: The initial question implies it's a GTB, made in relatively smaller numbers - and therefore, should be "worth more". But worth what, exactly? I don't know what the previous ask was, but I'm guessing it was over $45K and didn't sell. So it wasn't worth more than $45K to anyone who 1) saw the ad and 2) is in the market. Perhaps the right buyer hasn't seen the ad, or perhaps it hasn't been listed at another auction site with a few drunks bidding in excitement. Who knows? But on eBay, it's not selling for that price.

I've not seen the car in person. The pic quality - the few that there are - is sort of poor. I'd like a lot more images, including the interior and underside of the car. Perhaps other buyers feel as I do, and aren't bidding because they haven't gotten a proper idea of the full condition. I can't, at least. If you want the best results in an auction, present the car better than this.

Beyond the condition of this particular car - to be completely honest, I don't like saying what I believe a particular Ferrari is worth (on this forum) because it might belong to someone I consider an online friend, and I don't wish to potentially damage their sale. Secondly, I err on the side of caution deciding to not make a negative statement on a particular model of car. Sometimes people take offense, and I like the harmony this forum generally has.

But as Tommy (2 valve lover as he is) has opened the door, I'll second his opinion: It's a 2 valve car, and that in itself makes it worth less to many shoppers. It did to me, at least - a QV was the only 308 I was considering when I was shopping. The GTB variety might add value in terms of rarity, but my opinion is that most people prefer the GTS due to the open-roof experience. Feel free to disagree, of course. Finally, someone mentioned the market is soft right now; it might be, but that's not something I study and follow now - as I did when I was shopping for one. IE, my opinion of the market isn't current and informed.

So... long answer, but you asked for a better answer. Hope that provides some insight into my thoughts on it.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove and rob like this.
  16. damntall

damntall Karting

Jun 15, 2018
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Wright
    This is awesome! Thank you for your thoughtful response!

No, I definitely wasn't being snarky... sorry if it came off that way. I really wanted to hear your opinions, as (clearly from your response, I was right) I felt you might have a lot more to add to the discussion. Thank you!