bleed f430 F1 system | FerrariChat

bleed f430 F1 system

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Thomas Ruland, May 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    Can the system be bled without using a computer? The system only holds 1 quart of fluid if I am reading the manual correctly. Please direct me to the procedure if available, Thanks, Tom

VAF84 likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You need the scan tool.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What are you trying to accomplish. Symptoms?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    Well, The paddles started responding intermittently. I checked fluid level when hot and running and the fluid level was pretty much level with the plate in resevior. I think that I need to add fluid, it may have sucked a little air. But the fluid also looks dirty in my opinion. I plan to suck out the fluid when cold and not running and do this a few times until I get the clean fluid and then fill to proper level.to see if this cures the problem. No obvious leaks anywhere that I have seen. 25K on the dial and I think the fluid is original. I do not plan to open any bleeders. Thanks for responding, Tom

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    For a true bleed you do need some type of diag tool that is capable .. not many that do that cheap

If you just want to change out some fluid ..you can open some connection joints near resovoir near clutch and near esiff ..it will automatically be pressure on it if key is on

Just don't let it go low to suck in air

6. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    Another early bird, I am in Fl. I do not plan to run the pump with fluid sucked out of resevior. I probably will let it settle over night a few days and suck it out each day for the refill.when cold and not running. Thanks again , Tom

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you so it a few times you will change probably 80 percent of fluid ..just a guess

Actually in Italy ..just left lambo factory and now heading to Ferrari factory

8. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    I visited the Ferrari Factory a few years ago. Fantastic tour can't wait to go back. Venice was our fav. Have a great trip. If you get the chance I would recommend the Fiat 500 excursion in Florence, lots of fun. Travel Safe, T

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The "full" fluid level is only 5mm above the plate. This is measured with system ON and pressured up. If you add too much (it doesn't take much), it will gush out all over when it turns off. The reservoir is poorly designed. It should be a lot bigger.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Does it rise when turned off ?

12. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    Yes it does.

2NA likes this.
  13. Thomas Ruland

Thomas Ruland Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ruland
    Yes, the fluid rises in the reservoir after it is shut down, I have sucked out and refilled the reservoir three times and I will do it once more time after it rises back to the top. I only add fluid when not running. I drove the car each time, shifts fine when cold ( up and down), but when it is up to op temp, it has trouble down shifting from 3-2. It just forgets what to do, (dementia) then I stop the car and it will go to 1 as normal. It appears to only have the trouble during this shifting scenario.

14. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Let us know the results after bleeding.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What you are doing is great for keeping the fluid fresh between the recommended 3 year services, which was Ferrari's last recommendation on F1 Ferraris. It will not, however, get rid of air in the system. She needs to have all the fluid replaced, system bled, leak check, PIS check, and self-test/relearn done with an SD3 or equivalent every three years.

My techs change out half the fluid every year with a turkey baster and do the full fluid change, bleed and systems checks every three years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2NA likes this.
  16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Notice that there is no spec for replacing coolant. I recommend doing this at least every 2 years. Heat exchanger failures (and resulting destroyed gearboxes) on 360s are likely a result of old coolant.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- Affirmative, Ferrari has never had a coolant change in their maintenance schedule for modern Ferraris. This is ridiculous since even the modern ELC coolants with OATs only last 5 years according to the manufacturers. I still use G05 and swap it out every two years.

2NA likes this.