Is the Monza selling? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Is the Monza selling?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by BarryK, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    ... everything is different post Montezemolo...

Bhh likes this.
  2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Beautiful model, but I also declined a friends offer to use his allocation on my behalf. Future value is uncertain to me, but more importantly, I'm a driver not a collector, can't see investing that much in a shelf car (but certainly understand and respect those that do).

Jim

of2worlds and LARRYH like this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes, it is about percentages and not absolute values...but you know this.
    An "average wealthy" person may not give a second thought about steak dinner and good wine, vs getting better "value" with NY Strip and beer. :) (Obviously you all know I say that tongue in cheek...yes, pun intended. Bu you get the point.)
    A mega wealthy person certainly may approach ultra-rare Ferraris with the same disregard for financial impact.
    For God's sake someone paid $91M for a stainless steel balloon rabbit "art piece" yesterday.

stavura, Caeruleus11 and anunakki like this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Not exactly true.
    If you want a beautiful home of modest size overlooking the water near me..get ready to shell out >$5M.
    Spend $2-3M and you will NOT get what you want.
    If you have $25M in the bank...get the $5M house...why not?
    You can be perfectly humble in that transaction.

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds like the Monza is going to be the sleeper investment

Bret Curtis, LARRYH and Tenney like this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Many members are passing. Which is a first i think. Compared to the LaFerrari. I wonder if anyone passed on that one.

The driving part could be solved by keeping the car in Europe and flying to drive it. You could put 2k miles per year with 2 trips. Im probably not being objective bc i love the car so much but that would make each trip to Europe something to look forward to, that much more...You could do the Cavalcade, follow the Tour Auto event, follow the Mille Miglia or just drive it from France to Italy or to Austria..best roads in the world and safe.

elmadi, Stradalelover and Shack like this.
  7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If I were wealthy I would buy it just because its beautiful. Ill just look at it every time i enter my 20k sq ft garage and go to drive my LaFerrari Aperta

spyderman, JagShergill and crinoid like this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Which is saying something especially when the two cars have similar MSRPs.

Going back to the "is the Monza sold out" question, it looks like when Ferrari announces a car as already "sold out" there are different levels of sold out, meaning:

Level 1: LaFerrari: it means what it says on the ticket - sold out.
    Level 2: Monza - it will be sold out eventually , just need a bit more time, and a few more punters
    Level 3: 70th anniversary cars - pretty please, just buy this, once, please..

amenasce, roma1280 and anunakki like this.
  9. 3COL

3COL Karting

Jun 12, 2017
    I’m not entirely sure why there are people on this forum who say (with a perceived certainty) the car is not sold out.

The car is sold out. Ferrari achieved 100% of their sales volume in the form of non returnable €500k deposits. This is a fact published and not open to interpretation.

Whether the car will command a premium is of course the unknown element, where all opinions are valid. I can state I know directly one person who is willing to pass their allocation for a very modest (in percentage terms) premium, almost worthy of considering it a break even position, and another who has formalised an agreement to pass ownership of their Monza once the restriction period is over. This deal was concluded for a fee in excess of the deposit amount. I assume the first owner will allow the eventual owner to use the car often.

Both examples are mainland Europe based.

I personally believe the car will command a healthy premium, as they say, it will all come out in the wash.

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It was not sold out when the car was introduced at least. I dont remember if Ferrari had said so then but I know a few people who were offered one from a dealer in the USA after the official intro.

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think a real issue is if it cannot be licensed in the USA and sure you could throw a tag on it and drive it but it would be at your own risk the liability would be a concern to me... and besides I would rather have a F40 or a LUSSO (not the new one) or one of several others ...

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    It was announced as sold out:

from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-02/ferrari-picks-499-lucky-clients-for-its-1-85-million-monza

which doesn't fit with people here saying no afterwards. Of course a few people might have changed their minds after the launch, but there are quite a few who seem to have said no when offered afterwards,

The same was said about the 70th anniversary cars when they were first shown at Paris in Oct 2017. My dealer was still pushing them in the summer of 2017.

As for deposits, Ferrari has shown €170mm of cashflow in Q1 2019 which equates to approx 340 cars out of 499. May be they took in some before and some more in the second quarter, but that doesn't prove much beyond that.

13. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    In the US we made deposits of $500k US not Euros. Other currencies probably used other currencies so 500 cars could have deposits depending on exchange rates. Also dealers and other friends and family probably don’t require a deposit even though they have a purchase commitment.
    My dealer had more than double the requests compared to their allocation and I know several people who were turned down. I don’t understand why people keep insisting they are available. PM me if you know of an availability I know several buyers who will buy at list price maybe even pay a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and daytona355 like this.
  14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Want to create value for the new Monza? Take your allocation only if they agree to let you option it with a manual gearbox, even for an extra $200,000. (Just gravy to Ferrari) One of those few, or maybe only one, will be the one to own.

I like it and I am normally not crazy about new Ferraris. I think the standard models should be as raw as the Monza.

The price does seem very high, especially since it is based on the 812. I guess Ferrari has finally priced out the flippers.

15. 3COL

3COL Karting

Jun 12, 2017
    Does not include revenue from the Americas

16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And I’ll store the cars here at my place for free, I’d love to just sit out there with a nice cigar and take in the sights. Wanna base in the UK for your car with a trustworthy tifosi, contact me!

17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    It is interesting that some people compare the MSRP to that of the LaF or the LaF Aperta. We could have done the same comparing the MSRP of the LaF to that of the Enzo! Or the MSRP of the Enzo to that of the 288 GTO! Same result every time
    Apart from the fact that the Monza is not a hypercar, you cannot buy a LaF now for 1.5m EUR. If fact you cannot buy any of the HyperCars for that. You can buy a F40 but then there are 1300+ available. If the F40 was made in 500 pieces I have no doubt it would be 2m+
    Ferrari certainly did not „leave money on the table“ with the Monza, but i don’t think they are selling a car that will drop like a stone either. TDFs sell between 800k and 1m and although they are a super-desirable car, it is less rare, less beautiful and arguably less bespoke than the Monza.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bret Curtis, Bundy, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  18. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I don't think that is correct. The €117 million of Monza deposits (not 170 , my typo earlier) is reported inside Ferrari's reported Q1 free cashflow number is a global figure. They do not break down operating or industrial cashflow at a regional level as it would be meaningless.

See

https://corporate.ferrari.com/sites/ferrari15ipo/files/2019_05_07_-_ferrari_-_q1_2019_results_presentation.pdf

and Camlieri's opening comment

https://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/call-transcript.aspx?StoryId=4261133&Title=ferrari-n-v-race-ceo-louis-camilleri-on-q1-2019-results-earnings-call-transcript

Based on that, and the reported $500k deposits. you can say they collected 260 deposits for the Monza in Q1, with no significant collection in the previous quarter reported.

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #94 Albert-LP, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    1,8 M for an 812S based car is an out of mind price. If they already collected 260 deposits (a 500 K euro deposit!!), they are marketing Champions and the Ferrari brand is more powerful than ever. The car is simply stunning and evocative, it's one of the best shapes ever seen. The fact of not being steet legal in the US (the best Ferrari market) can be the reason why (maybe) they aren't all allocated to the final customers yet, while I think they are already all allocated to dealerships.

ciao

BarryK likes this.
  20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Same results as what? I compared it to the Laf to say it's the first time i hear people passing on a super Ferrari. I dont think it happened with the LaF. I think the main reason is bc of the car is not US legal not because it's not a special car. It's not special in its construction (it's a 812s with a different body..) but it is special by its beauty. But not being able to get down to your garage and go for a drive at any moment you wish (in the USA) is a huge let down.

21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes 100% correct. I have heard many say to me privately thats it’s a shameful grab at profits, selling a €300k non road-legal, not-safe for the track “812 barchetta” for $2m clothed in a body that some say looks like a long bar of soap. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard the phrase “emperors clothes”. Not a single person in the universe was saying any of these things about the LF Aperta.

95spiderman likes this.
  22. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    “Same result” as in the new vehicle having a substantially higher MSRP than the previous one. I remember many people thinking that the LaF MSRP was too high (including myself)...

The Monza is not a car in the same category as LaF or Enzo. It is inbetween the Limited Series and the hypercar category and as a result it is new to Ferrari owners.

It is a very difficult car to price but the same applies to other similar cars: Alfa Romeo made 1000 8Cs (coupe and roadster) and when I got mine the seller practically begged me to take it off his hands. The car was outdated the day it came out as it had a slow gearbox, was too heavy and handling was mediocre. It was painfully beautiful and now they are trading stronger than ever as people recognise it for what it is: a stunningly beautiful Alfa. BMW made 5000-or-so Z8s. I bought and sold mine for the princely sum of £57,000 from Hexagon. Stunning car -still is- dynamically challenged and now highly sought after despite lack of rarity...And the list goes on: Lexus LFA (had one, awesome, but not 500k+ awesome), 2005 Ford GT, Aston Vanquish Zagatos now trading at or over 750k EUR, lots of Jaguars and Aston Martin remakes of classics (not road legal) for £1m+ etc...
    The Monza is stunning, I have no doubt it will be dynamically excellent and it is a Ferrari. Shouldn’t it be worth more than all of these cars?

I agree that not being road legal in the US is a major issue though.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

elmadi, Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  23. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I sense there is an under-current running through this thread which is fundamentally unfair to Ferrari. And it's about upside profit. Let's be clear; the tdf is arguably the last in the line; those days are rapidly disappearing.

Because Ferrari is facing, like all auto makers, a perfect storm.

But for Ferrari, the challenge is even greater. What is a Ferrari in a connected, electric and autonomous driving world? The giants like VWG etc are spending squillions on new technology. The entire business model is changing too.

Add to this huge political pressure as urban centres apply ever stringent tax-based emission controls.

Ferrari has to fight on many fronts like never before. I think what they're achieving is brilliant under the circumstances.

The Icona series, and its pricing, therefore makes hard-nosed business sense. A series of LE cars based on existing mechanicals at a price point in previously hypercar territory. Do the Math.

The Monza is exquisite (although launching with it when not road legal in the US seems strange). The next Icona will be jaw-dropping if rumours are true. The next hypercar will probably be moved up by at least 1 million USD from Icona. Ferrari is a business protecting its future and shareholder value, shock horror.

elmadi, stavura, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  24. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    $200,000 for Ferrari to add a manual gearbox? Which gearbox would that be? You don't just drill a whole in the top of a DCT box and stick a fork in it. A completely bespoke gearbox would have to be created from scratch, and then the car - and all of the integrated electronics - reworked to fit it. The days of swapping a manual and auto are long, long gone.

Bret Curtis likes this.
  25. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well said. May I ask you if you confirmed your allocation ?

of2worlds likes this.