My father passed away recently. Photos of his classic Ferraris. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My father passed away recently. Photos of his classic Ferraris.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4thGen, May 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    The Chassis Number is 2469GT, but I have no further information. Maybe Marcel can help.

If You have more pictures of the cars, I think, all here enjoy seeing them.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The pictures, wow. RIP.

FourFiveGreat and Island Time like this.
  3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    100% true. Mr Massini is THE Ferrari historian of the world. We are very fortunate that he is an active and participating member of our Fchat community.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    2469 GT was badly crashed by first owner Alvin E. Goldschmidt and then sold as a wreck for US$ 1'000 (one grand) to Chinetti Motors. Rebuilt, outside fuel filler cap protruding thru trunk lid added, sold. 1966 to Tucker. Original engine ended up in a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta. Car later sold to Greenwich.

Marcel Massini

F142George, rdefabri, Bisonte and 3 others like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pic 1 and 2 in post #1 are 0223 EU.

Pic 18 in post #1 is 06885 (Preston Henn).

Pix 20 and 21 in post #1 are 0808 TR (rebodied, owned by Hisashi Okada in NY, at the time).

Marcel Massini

FourFiveGreat and of2worlds like this.
  6. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Thank You very much. So the car ist still around?

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Photo 2 in post #41 is 0064 M at Jacques Swaters' garage in Brussels (166 MM Barchetta Touring).
    Photo 3 in post #41 is 002 C (with Motto body).
    Photo 5 in post #41 is 8851 (365 P Tre Posti owned at the time by G.E. "Bud" Keeney of Newport Beach/CA).
    Photo 5 in post #42 is 250 MM Spider Vignale with headrest #0390 MM of Joe Pendergast being chased by Gerry Sutterfield in 166 MM/53 Spider Vignale #0342 M.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and gt4me like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Gordon Tatum of Kensington/MD sold 250 LM #6233 to Tucker who used the LM with a 275 GTB/4 engine as one of he cylinderheads of the original engine was unrepairable. In 1971 Tucker sold 6233 to Steve Griswold in Berkeley/CA.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Smiles like this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    January 1972 shown at the Montreal Motor Show in Canada.
    Then to Tucker. Later in Santa Monica/CA with a man in the film business. Thereafter restored by Junior's House of Colors and Tony Nancy's shop.
    See also "Forza" magazine, issue #10. And "Car & Driver" magazine 1998.

Marcel Massini

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    best fchat thread EVER

SVLT, modena82, F142George and 13 others like this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pic 2 in post #61 is 0194 ET.

Marcel Massini

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #63 Nembo1777, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Very intrigued by the photo of the lady in pink and background, the car is not a Maserati Ghibli or Indy but a very rare Monteverdi 375S, the venue I believe is the Spanish GP at Montjuich the park on a Barcelona hill in 1969 on the weekend of May 4 (photo is labelled June 1969).

Any Spanish viewers having lived that era will hopefully be able to recognize and complete for us the partially hidden ad banners.

WilyB and of2worlds like this.
  13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Hear Hear! I'll second that! :)

LARRYH, Dolcevita and 4thGen like this.
  14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm delighted you have identified the location as Montjuich as I was thinking the same (honest!) but trying to find something to prove it. The partially hidden ad banners are surely just Marlboro, Lucas and Girling or am I looking at the wrong part of the photo?

The last picture is Jack Brabham leading Graham Hill into the Gasometer hairpin at Monaco 1969. I think the picture was probably taken during Saturday practice as Brabham retired early in the race and Hill's car does not seem to have the rear wing it carried in the race (the high rear wings having been banned after Thursday's practice as a result of Hill and Rindt's accidents in the race at Montjuich).

of2worlds and G. Pepper like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #66 Nembo1777, May 17, 2019
    Lucas yes I was thinking it was some Spanish sponsor. In any case the BMW at left seems to be from Madrid, this city circuit is not Monaco or Pau (which coincidentally has its annual races this weekend) and the palm trees eliminate any northern European venue.

What intrigues me with the two Monaco hairpin photos well at least the first one with Stewart is the public at right BELOW the level of the track, it means at some later point they had massive construction reconfiguration of that zone, had not known that. Probably connected to the construction of the swimming pool in years right after that which modified the course.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes it is more-or-less where the swimming pool was built a few years later. I think (from memory, so I may be wrong) that Tabac corner used to be a little further along and so the current track effectively goes along the "below" section now and what is left of the old track is effectively the pitlane now, bearing in mind that the Rascasse restaurant is roughly where Brabham is turning in.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #68 Nembo1777, May 17, 2019
    Yes spot on:)

There is a statue of Fangio with a 1950's Merc F1 within the area behind the restaurant just inside the current last corner.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Very sorry for the loss of your father. I saw this post when it first went up but I withheld comment until Marcel came along. Thanks very much for sharing.

4thGen likes this.
  19. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    What a thread, magnificent pictures, and I can only imagine the stories he could/would have shared!

Your father sounds like a 1/100,000,000 kind of man, condolences on your loss :(

4thGen likes this.
  20. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Amazing history captured in those pics. And some amazing memories I’m sure. Thanks for putting them up. Your father must have lived an awesome life.

LARRYH and 4thGen like this.
  21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Sir, allow me to buy you a beer next time I am in Atlanta, which is often.

4thGen likes this.
  22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hope that the "caretaker" of that special-to-you California will see fit to sell the car back to you or your heirs someday when it is time for him to part with it. Everybody loves a happy ending!

of2worlds and 4thGen like this.
  23. 4thGen

4thGen Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    L. Kitt Tucker IV
    Thanks for the kind words. I would love to own that California one day.

I was too young to remember anything of significance outside of Dad driving me to school and to friends' houses. And then Mom destroying the transmission of her red Dino because she could barely drive a manual. I don't think she drove much after that. I can still remember the orange glow of the tachometer, the feel of the leather seats, and the force it took to push down on the stick to put the car in reverse. Dad used to let me change gears and I can, to this day, remember the feeling of each gear engage. I can also easily recall the rumble of the engine on the 512 and the sound the doors made when they open and close. I even keep a blank Ferrari key on my keychain just to remember those days. Good times.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

omd78, BigTex, steved033 and 23 others like this.
  24. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Best read I’ve had since The De Vinci code,
    My condolences to you and yours.