MORE DIY SHARES: $100 Stick-on (no drilling) rear wing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

MORE DIY SHARES: $100 Stick-on (no drilling) rear wing

Discussion in '360/430' started by _JERRY_, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Heh. It’s not just cost, how you overlook not requiring drilling holes eludes me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I have already removed it twice to readjust, before settling on its final position. You are not familiar with how 3M adhesive works ? Maybe some actual DIY and hands-on not on your car body first, so you can see how it will come off nicely.

3. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Some people comment and pass judgement with little to no facts , but hey, we’re on the internet!

No one has asked about actual weight or dimensions it’s ok , I Guess looking at something is all the science that is required these days.

4. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I’m sharing an alternative , which doesn’t cost much. I think the bottom line really is, if you don’t like it or don’t think it will work, don’t do it!

I’ve already done mine, going into 3rd week, and it’s still stuck on nicely. Sorry to disappoint the “it’s gonna fly off” bandwagon.

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    C'mon guys, give him a break! Each to his own. Go out and drive your Ferrari more.

_JERRY_ likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Alright dude, I was being nice, but really? I've torn my engine apart and do all my own work, I have several threads here detailing that, and have done a ton more that I don't create threads on. Congrats on putting a sticker on your car.

brookliner7 and frank320 like this.
  7. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    All that work and you’re worried the adhesive damages the paint? I’m sure you’d know how to remove it nicely with all that experience.

Being nice ? I don’t see anything “nice” other than the starting of this thread lol

And thanks for the congrats

8. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Heh. I realised there was nothing constructive or objective about the comments after the 2nd response.

I should be more careful posting Low cost diy fixes and alternatives. People WANT to spend thousands on their 100k+ cars.

9. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Come on, you put a non-functional fake spoiler on a Ferrari, and as a direct result, degraded its original actual performance. As mentioned above, this thing will fail at higher speeds. It’s a road hazard. For what? Just to look good and score points with onlookers as you drive by?

Sorry for sounding harsh, but this makes people question what else you added that is fake and degraded performance on your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    #35 _JERRY_, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    I’m sorry, as it stands from having driven thru weather and testing it with temperature expansion , contraction, it has held within the speeds I’ve driven it at.
    As I’ve said earlier, to drive fast enough for this to be a road hazard , your speed in itself is already potentially way more dangerous than worrying about a rear wing flying off.
    I hope u find some logic in this .

NB: from start to finish , I have stated for the record this is only for aesthetics. It’s so light it will hardly impact anything. If you think this will alter or hinder performance , perhaps a little, and that’s only if ur a min maxer.

As to what else is fake. The engine is untouched. ALL my DIY are only aesthetics, god forbid you’re gonna say stickers will reduce performance. *gasp*

I’m having trouble understanding why my sharing an alternative at Low cost is generating so much hate lol.
    If you don’t like it, don’t do it. None of the comments here are gonna make my wing fly off, cause from where I stand , it’s still stuck on nicely. It will and it may is left to be seen, and then again let’s try to cover the infinite “what if”s?

It really is as simple as , don’t like it, don’t do it .
    For those that like rear wings, and don’t want holes in ur cars, this might be viable , and then again everyone’s install is gonna vary.

My 2 cents.
    Thanks for all the “concerns” though.
    Cheers

11. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The standards for a Ferrari should be much higher than just: “I drove it at low speeds, it didn’t fall off, so it is good enough.”

If your standards are that low. I guess to each his own.

You meant to say it hasn’t fallen off YET. If it does, is it worth causing the accidents behind your car in a city that is congested with traffic? You will state here publicly that you will take responsibility for any accident caused as a result of your DIY vanity “wing” falling off on the roads in Singapore?

12. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    That’s as good as me telling you , you’re gonna die one day , just not yet. Did I anywhere, say Low speeds? Then again what’s fast to me or slow to you will differ. I’ve definitely tried this above 100 mph and this hate-generator has held.

Let’s keep this more objective ? If this is just a bash catalyst, pm me, I have a LOT of time to entertain you with my wit.

13. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    What are you doing speeding in a congested city traffic environment?
    I’m not doing that, are you ?

14. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #39 frank320, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    I know the 3M adhesive and I also know the weather in Singapore. The 3M adhesive is not rated for the temperature if the car is parked under the sun. The adhesive will degrade rapidly with elevated temperatures, especially with it placed above the engine/exhaust and Singapore weather. Hasn’t failed yet for you, but it will.

I don’t drive at speeds in the city. FYI, I have a bunch of sports cars that I take to the race track with the various marquee clubs, including racing with Skip Barber on the East Coast when they were still around.

15. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Your worry is duely noted. Rest assured there is due diligence to make this a non road hazard. My intent is not to have it fly off. This has gone thru sun, rain plus the direct engine temp. The tape works up to 90 degrees Celsius, as stated by 3M. Your FYI doesn’t make any statement or comment more right or wrong. Holds no weight with me.

16. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Will this hold on a track, with the car pushed to its limits? Maybe not, probably not. For congested city driving with traffic as you so eloquently put it, the speed and the kind of driving you would require to get this thing to fly off, you would already be breaking a couple of traffic laws.
    And thats an "IF" it flies off.

I'd hate to have to do speed/temp tests on a track to validate a general share for an alternative to bolt on rear wings for aesthetics purposes. This really is a simple thread, lets not make it any more complicated than its intention was originally designed for.

17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Would you trust your life with 3m tape?
    You may be trusting someone else’s life with it. God forbid that thing flies off at highway speed and hits another car.
    Foolish, for such a petty thing.

18. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Maybe u should ask the guys at 3M
    We’re trusting someone else’s life just by being behind the wheel.
    But I’ll agree god forbid it flies off, if and when it ever does.
    Highway speed within traffic regulations has not made this thing budge. Just sharing .
    You are entitled to your opinion, but there’s a vast ocean to cross before your opinion becomes fact , anyone else’s opinion here for that matter.
    I like how all of you can deliberate without even seeing or touching anything live or in person.
    I’m not the authority on how well 3M adhesive works against temp and air resistance , perhaps you are?

19. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Have any of you actually stuck a wing on with said 3M adhesive , driven on a highway and have it fly off?
    Perhaps there’s just some figment of imagination hurdling you from doing it because somewhere in your soul, there’s a deep belief it’s just impossible that it would be remotely viable?
    Just saying...

20. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    And while we’re here, people everywhere are hanging stuff on their walls in their homes in excess of 10, 15 even 20kg via these double sided tapes, and we are extremely comcerned something under 10kg is destined to “fly off”

21. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    In any case, I’m not endorsing 3M tapes Nor am I advertising for them.
    I will post and update if and when this fails and I think it’s no longer viable.
    Cheers!

22. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I be surprised if anyone else here is dumb enough to try that on public roads and risk other’s lives on an experiment. You are one hell of a selfish ******.

This thread is proof that money can’t buy common sense, or good taste.... and that stupidity continues to exist even in the face of multiple advice against this poster’s idea - case in point, not a single reply in this entire thread thought this was a good idea.

Everyone stated that this was a bad idea and distasteful - and rightly so. As they say: “you can’t fix stupid.”

brookliner7 likes this.
  23. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    If only your IQ was as high as your ego , you would be able to keep yourself from making this personal They are sadly , inversely proportional.
    When one runs out of anything half intelligent to say , they turn to personal attacks on the net. You won’t be the first or the last, no shame in that buddy.
    And you’re right , I can’t fix you.

24. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Jerry, I take it you are the owner of the company that sells them?
    I can't think of any other reason you would defend the stupid spoiler so vociferously.
    Just my 2 cents.

25. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Definitely not. I could say the same that you’re all affiliated to a garage that does bolt ons and this will affect business ?

What I still don’t get is, which part of this is a share and if you don’t like the idea , don’t do it, do you not comprehend?

I’m transparent enough to admit it’s possibility to fail and what it could possibly withstand and what it might not . Fact is , it’s still holding. Your usage and installation may vary.