NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 74 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Sadly, the bike guy delete it!

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not quite, but the BB might indeed be quicker.

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    "What's more, FerrariChat forum members speculate that the car may be called "BB," an abbreviation of Berlinetta Boxer and not "baby" as seen in countless misguided Tinder messages."

Wonder where they read that?

jamesdouglas1436 and of2worlds like this.
  5. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Stupidity knows no bounds, BB mean Big Boobs you idiots, Ferrari Biggi Boobbaloni.

6. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Has there been any discussion about which car (BB or LB) will be the platform from which the next Challenge and GT3 cars are going to be based on? At 600k and 1000hp, maybe there will be less bumper cars in the series. Saw some real miracles get worked getting cars ready to race after practice or qualifying contact. Add hybrid repairs and fire risk to the mix, could be some tall orders.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    There it is! If your following along that's the enthusiast pitch about rarity and buy one quick before being sold out. Phase III is the likely upside discussion to confirm first deliveries. All without a word from Ferrari. Great product and great brand. Its a wonder to watch what the competition could never achieve.

8. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Imho, the current 488 GT (3/E/D/Challenge) models will keep racing until the V6 LB is unveiled, while the BB might be the base of a hypercar/prototype for the '21/'22 WEC series (pure speculation). Speaking of the hybrid element in their powertrains, I don't think it will be a problem for endurance racing.

G. Pepper and Senna1994 like this.
  9. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    and the Portofino coupé engine?

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Ferrari have recently increased cost of LaF KERS Battery.... Price of a replacement is now 153k Euro (171 USD)... . with labor comes to circa $200k. Have battery technologies advanced so much that the LaF KERS Battery is now obsolete, and the BB battery will be that much less expensive?

11. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    I think that makes sense. Ford and Acura went with the 6 cylinder as well. Bop wouldn't be kind to the specs BB appears to have I wouldn't think. And yes, I don't think hybrid systems will impact the endurance guys near as much as the Challenge series which is who I primarily was considering.

Senna1994 likes this.
  12. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    LOL!

13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Cars are developed 3years ahead mostly.
    So the battery we are seeing today in a car is 3 years old tech.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Roland1688 likes this.
  14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes and no. The LF system no doubt has a juicy halo-car premium built in to the price, but it also likely wasn't designed for anything but the very limited LF application. Times have changed and the LF hybrid setup is no longer sufficient for what the market wants and what regulation demands. Super short range electric augmentation has no place in the near future and zero place at all in the more distant one. IIRC, the LF more or less couldn't even operate on pure electric power and wasn't designed for it. That likely isn't the case anymore and so I'm guessing the entire system is different. I'll be shocked if the BB doesn't have something like 20-30 miles of pure electric range for city driving.

Also, there is no way the system in the BB is going to be tailored solely for the BB like it was for the LF. They don't create bespoke engines for every model and they aren't going to create bespoke electric systems either. It would make very little financial sense. The electric potion of the BB will likely be very similar to the electric portion in all future cars, from Portofino up through 812, or whatever those replacements are called.

So yes, the new system is likely much different and much cheaper. They aren't going put a $200K electric system in a $200K Portofino. If you want to guess the cost, look at the Acura NSX. The NSX is a hybrid supercar with modest BEV power and the entire car cost less than $200K. There's no reason to assume Ferrari's cost is vastly higher than anyone else in the segment.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Excellent post as always!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think something else that probably confirms this is that the point of Ferrari using hybrid is to get a lower CO2 rating on the WLTP test. Therefore the hybrid needs to be of the plug-in type (I.e. runs for 20 miles on electric only) to meaningfully achieve this. Otherwise, the electric system is only there to augment the way the car drives, which is quite un-Ferrari because you add lots of weight to get a little bit of power. This is fine in the LaF because it is a full carbon tub and the weight is not so high even with the battery. But I still suspect there are some that prefer the ‘slower’ Enzo to the faster but more complex LaF. Would Ferrari be using electricity even if the emissions regs were less stringent? Maybe, but I’m not sure they would be.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Uk only allowing single invites, no partners (maybe some exceptions but not from 3 dealers I know). Fatal error IMHO and a bit cynical, and bound to cause some discussion. USA , know a few who are with partners , so hard to say if all invites will translate into individual sales potential, possibly country dependent.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    reading of the weight that some sources are talking about (very low), I'm wondering if the electric front axle will be on this car: maybe my sources saw it but it will be on later models, who knows. In any case impossible to weigth less than the F8, even if just RWD. In the video with the bike the car went away the Yamaha Tracer 900 (11.5 s in the quarter mile) very easily and with no movement on that bad surface road: if it's just RWD, it has a great TC-ESP and grip!

ciao

of2worlds and F140C like this.
  19. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Did anyone else notice that in the video when the mule accelerated away it was quiet, such that we know the ICE wasn’t even on?? Looks like it’s capable of insane acceleration without the ICE engine, which means, as speculated here, the BB is able to run on electricity alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F140C likes this.
  20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Ferr9000 on a Spanish forum ( forocoches.com) said the BB front axle will be electrified so we can assume there will be two electrics motors on front axle .

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you very much: let's see if we both were right.

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  22. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    also in my case (FR) the invitation is only for one person.....I asked to bring one partner but no way
    but the good news is hotel is included:D

of2worlds and F140C like this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are lucky: so you need a partner that is suited for the hotel room only… ;)

ciao

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    In my opinion it was accelerating with 4wd. (for what I know) the car car run also in electric mode.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017

circa 700 people each day
    F wants to sell much more than 1.000 cars in these 3 days since the budget is more than double
    they want to sell ALL :)

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.