NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 81 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    My guest would be that Dino will be used for the v6 line

2. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #2002 boobernackle, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    No, I was referring to market dynamics. There's a reason why the 812 SF, Lusso, Portofino and F8 are easy to obtain, it's because the demand isn't there to catch up to the 50% production increase. Look at cars like the F12 and 458, both were absolute legends and they had wonderful sales throughout.

Why isn't the demand there when compared to a Pista? Very simple, us buyers aren't liking them as much for a reason, they lack the Ferrari special sauce.

3. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Long hood/ bonnets are not a providence to only Ferrari, many cars, including American cars had the same design philosophy. Generally, if you had a big engine in the front, that hood is gonna be long, very long like in the case of the Mercedes 300 SLR/Uhlenhaut Coupe, with its straight 8 engine. And so, with the C2 Corvette and it’s 327s and 427 engines, you are gonna get the design look, even though Zora wanted a mid engined car, and believed that the 427s were too heavy.

And no, most Americans don’t see a Corvette because of that. If there is any criticism of “it looks like a Vette”, it’s usually because of the rear lights, the quad lights in the back, which the Corvette had starting in 1961.
    And I really think that is a stupid criticism as well.

You want to really look at something, look at the rear half of the 68 Corvette and the Dino....

4. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    lol so you are basically saying all front engine gt cars look similar. or for that matter you can say car like one-77 looks similar to tdf as well.

i mean that's basically stating the obvious.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The Dino name was not received well in relation to a “Lower” model (Entry level) vehicle well.

This name is something special.

We will see it again.

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Its very special. The Dino has such a presence in person. The V6 Dino doesnt have to be an entry level model. Would be a great way to bring back the V6

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #2007 Ferrari 308 GTB, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Long hood/ bonnets are not a providence to only Ferrari, many cars, including American cars had the same design philosophy. Generally, if you had a big engine in the front, that hood is gonna be long, very long like in the case of the Mercedes 300 SLR/Uhlenhaut Coupe with its straight 8 engine.
    Interesting you posted a 1953 375 MM, the same year as the first Corvette

And no, most Americans don’t see a Corvette because of that. If there is any criticism of “it looks like a Vette”, it’s usually because of the rear lights, the quad lights in the back, which the Corvette had starting in 1961.
    No, I am not saying that. You are. Again, as said before, there is a convergent design.
    One has to think about the design philosophy/language, and packaging as well. And weight distribution. Putting a big V12 in the front will mean you have to design around that—-long hood. Having a 6.2 liter V8, albeit compact as the LS engine is, it does take up space.
    The One-77 has a large V12 up front. It complies with the classic long hood, short deck GT/sports car look. And with this classic look, there will be cars that look similar, due to packaging issues. You cannot get around having that big engine in the front, and the need for cooling that engine, and if the car is a two seater, or a 2+2, and the fact that’s for a sporting ride, so less need for luggage, which means a short deck. Ye have their own design DNA. Aston Martin goes by the Golden Ratio
    http://mathsguideonline.weebly.com/blog/golden-ratio-the-secret-behind-design-and-engineering-of-aston-martin

https://www.goldennumber.net/aston-martin-golden-ratio/

That’s just it. A jaguar and Leopard are both big cats, both can roar, both have spots, both can have high melanin coats (black panthers) . But, they are different—the Jaguar is bigger, built heavier, bigger skull, different killing style. The Rosettas are different, the leopard is more adaptive, has a long body with short legs, and is more arboreal.

9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I really can't wait for the car to be released so we can commence with the traditional new thread that discusses the following, as is tradition:
    1. the name, where people proclaim they like it/don't like it
    2. the appearance: where people claim it's amazing vs derivative, followed by the standard "it looks better in person and doesn't photograph well"
    3. the performance, which will initially be bench-racing followed by claims that it's not about the 0-60 or X lap time, and then later a youtube review where people pick sides regarding validity of said opinion
    4. the hybrid component, and whether it means the end of an era or the continuity of innovation
    5. the volume of production, and how it ties into global trade/environmental regulation/brand legacy/second hand market value
    and finally...
    [spoiler alert]

depreciation.
    ;)

sorry for the rant. I'm just stoked to finally see the new shiny toy. Christmas never comes quickly enough and this thread feels like we're all shaking the same wrapped gift beneath the tree and enjoying the thrill of the unknown and speculation of what we hope it will be.

10. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    So on the money lol

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This is a good list. The standard "it looks better in person and doesn't photograph well" is true of every Ferrari I've seen in person except the F40 and the Pista. Both to me look better in photo than real life especially the F40. The knockout is the Enzo. It will capture your soul and the F50 is also remarkable. So much better than any picture.

JagShergill, REALZEUS and G. Pepper like this.
  12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #2012 Albert-LP, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    I'm quite confident about the look: Flavio Manzoni, the Ferrari styling boss, owns a 208 GTB turbo, which in my opinion is the best looking Ferrari after 275 GTB/4.

So I think he has a good taste and likes the beauty lines that can combine a good balance of purity and aggressivity, without copying old shapes.

Ciao

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Exactly, F173 should open a new design language era for Ferrari ( F171 etc ..)
    I have no doubts it would be brilliant.

stavura, foreverh and Albert-LP like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    You have been talking nonsense. No problem if you don’t like the current cars, but that’s an opinion not any kind of fact. Here are some facts; Ferrari are producing more 812 than F12, more Lusso than FF, more 488 than 458. And if you want a new one you still have to order it - dealers don’t order cars for stock (I have no idea if your dealer is an idiot who does but that does not happen elsewhere). As all three of these models are a few years old so the wait list may be reduced but it is still between 6 months and probably 2 years for F8. This means that if production is higher, so is demand. Whether a Lusso or F8 is easier to obtain is irrelevant (in fact they are not easier to obtain - even 458 Speciale could be bought as a first time purchase in the last 18 months of its life because I did just that). Pista, which you spent many words trying to tell people will be produced in enough quantity so that everyone who wants one would be able to get one, you now seem to acknowledge is the only current car where demand outstrips supply.

I just drove my Speciale in the Mille Miglia and what can easily be said is that the love and passion for these new cars - 488, Lusso, 812 - is as strong as for any previous Ferrari. The 812 is fast and looks and sounds amazing, it was loved and admired wherever it went (there were about 6 812s out of 100 cars) and the same was true for the 488s. Having driven among all these cars for many hours and miles over four days, my first opinion about the 812 is undiminished, it is wonderful and, to me at least, because this is a subjective opinion, clearly nicer than the already wonderful F12. It looks lower, meaner, sleeker and more taught than the F12. Your views are clearly set against the newer products. Fine. But live and let live. If you don’t like them don’t buy them. Ferrari wouldn’t be pleased about that but they wouldn’t notice either.

15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    This type of conversation promises to be more polarised than ever. The BB really is an opportunity for Ferrari to rewrite some rules, will they do that? Is that even smart with your first true hybrid product? I have heard, third hand, that it is 1,100hp and has a very unique human interface. Who knows? But there is certainly the possibility of some very innovative thinking.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I just hope first factory official pictures will be better than usual ..
    Not optimistic on this one.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I hear you. Given this is a higher price-point, I suspect Ferrari will really have tried hard with the car because if the reaction from the VIP preview is not what they want, this could be an expensive exercise for them. I suspect they will need to sell a certain proportion of production to meet their emissions aspirations, but are probably forced into the higher price because of the technology and power. A big risk for them, but they are the best at what they do. It is also a big help for the rest of the industry because they will learn a lot from how this new Ferrari is received.

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Very likely no, as all Ferrari new models will be hybrid within three years (except some limited production series, maybe).

Yes! Very likely the car combined power is around 1050 hp with several engines and required a very long work to tune them all to increase drivability and to lower lap times without killing anyone. They spent a lot of money.

You got the point.

ciao

PS: Congrats for your 1000miglia tribute here!

19. Andrew97

Andrew97 Rookie

Sep 14, 2016
    Ciao Alberto. So the BB its going to have even more than 1000 cv?

20. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Have you driven any of these cars much? Ferrari makes better cars than they have ever made before. And that is an objective statement, having driven most of what they produced since 1963.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The current numbers doing the rounds are 1050 - 1100

Albert-LP likes this.
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I don't know, but no less than 100-130 hp on the front electric axle and something around 150-180 hp electric boost on the rear, plus 720 hp from the V8... So from 970 to 1030 hp. Those are the expected figures.

But I don't know the real one.

ciao

F2003-GA likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No doubt this will be an epic Ferrari,just hope it doesn't look anything like 458/488/F8 ;)

24. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #2024 4re4ever, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Im thinking 710 on the V8, 2 x Electric motors at 100 - 120 on the front and 160 - 180 on the intergrated rear electric unit

Albert-LP likes this.
  25. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    In my opinion the engine should have at least a small power increase over the F8/Pista, even 5 PS/HP, just to say "it's not the same engine" (ok, we know it won't be in any case, but sometimes numbers makes marketing).