My 550 has been written off | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My 550 has been written off

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Taz. So, forgive my graphic illiteracy - the 550 with straight pipes has around 300 kw= 400 hp at 7220 rpm, right? The 575 has around 445 at around the same rpm, correct? So (I think) that means an 11.25% power increase. Assuming everything else is the same (which it's obviously not), an 11.25% power difference in quoted power over the 550's stock 485 would give the 575 540hp, rather than the quoted 515. All very speculative, but interesting. Does anyone else with experience of both feel that the quoted power increase of the 575 is less than it feels?

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I did love the 458. But it would need to be a Spider. And I have a gated 430 Spider already. And for the occasional blast, once you're out of town, that's more fun for me..

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Affirmative, which is coincidentally the same hp Ferrari claims for the Superamerica and the 612, both with straight center pipes. The Superamerica engine was hot-rodded, but the differences in the 612 engines were just manifolding and ECU updates.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    that's interesting - the 612 has straight centre pipes, yet it is still so quiet. There was an obsession around then with Ferrari muffling its V12! Shame.

or is this engine just naturally quiet, if that exists? Like the Jaguar 5.3 V12 and the BMW 6.0 V12, and, for that matter, the V12 in the 250 Cali SWB, which I found very gentle on the ears.

My F512M sounds like a monster by comparison, as does the F12/812. Are some engines just quiet naturally, or is it all about the exhaust, or.....?

6. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
  7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- It is all about the exhaust. I put a Novitec Supersport set of mufflers on my straight center pipe (OEM) 575M and they had 90 mm tailpipes vs stock 72 mm or so and it was deafening. I sold it to a 550 owner who loved it, but it was way too loud for me. Probably because I did not grow up with continuous loud music blaring in my ear.

Themaven and F456M like this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wow.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I saw a ringer for my (ex) 550 driving along Eaton Square towards Sloane Square in London on Sunday. Beautiful red 550. Does it belong to anyone here?

I only glimpsed it in profile, but for the first time, I thought the Maranello shape was beautiful.

10. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi Darius

Jaguar V12 quiet ?
    That's good
    ;)

Tom Walkinshaw's legendary Jaguar V12 Pole lap at Bathurst Australia
    One of the best V12 sounds ever !!!

Daniel

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Darius, Your deceased 550 being recycled.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That will cause you to shed a tear.

17. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    What a sad ending for such a beautiful car...

How about a Vanquish S (the last made at Newport Pagnell)?

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Heartbreaking video, Darius, until one thinks of all the folks waiting with desperate hope, for a heart or kidney or liver donor to save their lives - your so beautiful Maranello will create such happiness for a lot of Maranello owners needing a --- you fill it in --- fender, front clip. steering wheel, driver's seat, transaxle, or complete engine! - to put their joy back on the road. At a cost far more acceptable than a factory replacement would be. :)

BigTex and MAPS like this.
  19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was one clean car...….to me, you REALLY have to manage the insurance companies, and recently I have learned they really don't like "fixing things" past a point.

You needed the roof and metal panels and ALL that glass. Sadly they use retail parts numbers for cost and you are rapidly "done", when maybe there was a salvage car out there that could have provided the donor bits. I suppose we make our own reputation as Owners, though. Because more than once a rep has said:

"Well it will never be perfect again.."..to which I recall my long dead friend at this shop: "It wasn't perfect when it left Maranello!"
    Of course he meant the early cars, like mine where hammer marks can still be seen....
    Somewhere in between lies the truth I suppose.

Built by man, rebuilt by man.
    I surely hope you find a comparable one, it's "out there"....

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Doesn’t the 550 look cool in the first frames as a proper Barchetta? So clean!

Oddly, the video made me quite happy. The car wasn’t sent to the crusher, as Seth says it donated its parts to other Ferrari owners. And how sustainable! Very on trend. The saddest demise a car can have I think is to go rusty and worthless and be crushed because it’s not even worth stripping.

As Taz suggests, I would shed a tear...except I have the gated FHP 575 as backup. Lucky me.

But yes my 550 was so pristine. A garage queen, all its life, including during my brief ownership.

I’m glad parts of it will go to good homes. Maybe even yours. Thanks Alan for posting.

As to what to buy instead, I think I’ve spent much of the insurance money on wine. With enough left over for something fun..maybe a 991.2 GTS cabrio. Or a 997 GTS. Something with more back seats than a 550 so I can drive my kids around.

Jürgen Geisler and 21ATS like this.
  22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Darius, want to consider this? Very comfortable back seats depending on the size of the kids! and the length of Dad's legs.

Here's my #62361, auto, blu sera/beige, approx 90K km/56K miles. Sold in Suisse/Schweiz/Svizzeria to first owner the Contesse Gerlinde di Picciotto 9 years, then to a French owner for 9 years, then to Bernard Dalle, Vice-president of the Club Ferrari France, from who I acquired the car. The car has clearly been meticulously maintained by all three. And by me [all service records]

In the process my wife Judith and I became good friends with Bernard and epouse Catherine with whom we spent a lovely long weekend at their vacation home on Lago Maggiore on our way to Maranello to visit the factory. And they visited us in New York City where we had a special guided tour of the Intrepid Sea/Air/Space Museum - I served as Intrepid's legal officer and added underway officer-of-the-deck duties, in the mid-1950s.

Presently at Ferrari New England, annual service, new exhaust and instructions to make the car flawless - well, as flawless as a lady a third of a century old can be. Knowing you might be interested I've considered commissioning a RHD conversion ;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I stumbled on the perfect replacment this week completely by accident. I was watching the story of Jean Todt's Miura (on YouTube - VinWiki) in the background of one of the images was a shell awaiting restoration - it was a 400GT - I Googled it then discovered it's replacement the Lamborghini Islero s.

V12, manual, 4 seats - what's not to like? Well maybe the price if you can actually find one.

Damn this a pretty thing:-

This is one of five RHD and was used on screen by Sir Roger Moore.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    maven, are you looking for another car?

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Seth, Alan, they are pretty but they look like they would be as expensive to run as a hooker in a Monaco jewellery store.

Ross, I think everyone here is always looking, who doesn’t browse the classifieds? Not that actively in my case. I’ll probably sell one before I buy another. My next purchase will be a convertible, for sure.