NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 90 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    As we are still in the speculative phase of this upcoming reveal, it may be interesting to hear peoples thoughts about the market segment this “bb” will be joining.

If the price point is approximately $800,000 and the powertrain is hybrid, with the mission being more sport than GT, are there any direct competitors at present the check off these boxes? I can’t think of any. Does this mean that Ferrari is creating it’s own new segment? If so, very clever.

Koenigsegg partnering with NEVS to produce a sub $1 million hybrid sports car has been described in very general terms in the media. This would represent direct competition with respect to price point, powertrain, mission. However, at this point, there’s not much publicly known beyond press releases

My personal feeling is that even more than the BB model as an end in itself, it’s more important function in the long term for Ferrari will be as the means to introduce a new hybrid era and serve as the halo model in which future variants will be basking in the reflective glow.

I know LaF was hybrid but I believe there will be significant enough difference that it’s not as relevant from a marketing perspective. And yes, of course, there will be special versions and then superduper hyper limited versions which become the newest shiniest toy-halo in the future. But bb is the test piece.

Especially in light of the FUV, there’s going to need to be some very new buzz/juice/excitement about the updated architecture so that people will be stoked to drink the new Kool-Aid.

If these thoughts have any validity from a strategic standpoint, Ferrari better hit it out of the park

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    #2227 BarryK, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    I bet they announce and get people excited with a way off low dry weight number, and by the time people actually get the cars/test it etc, it would be a footnote in a magazine test. How many people remember now that the LaFerrari was annouced as 1255kg dry and in reality weighs 1600kg all in, meaning the dry weight is 150kg or so more than the claimed? Ferrari are masters at defying gravity at the weigh-in :)

If it is an aluminium chassis and not a stripped out racer, its likely to weigh 1600kg+ dry, and ready drive in the weight in range you say.

F2003-GA and 458-Italia like this.
  3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    That is too much fluid I guess lol
    I really hope the weight is low.
    Even 1500kg car feels so different.

4. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Spot on! And wails like a banshee!!! And thats manual , rear wheel steering , classsiched and without electrical assistance ! Wouldn’t recommend ‘CST-off ‘setting though !

of2worlds and F2003-GA like this.
  5. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #2230 manya81, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    What intrigues me most about the design are the side intakes, they look huge under the camo.
    Let’s wait to see how they are integrated to the whole design.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Current Ferraris are the best ever, by far. Thus, I am not sure what you are talking about.

I am old enough to remember the Mondial T... what a cock up!!!

Luque, Lukeylikey, Juvendude and 3 others like this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Been mostly sketching or doodling a couple of things for myself to challenge my guesswork and see how I considered all the elements of the car before its unveiling.

Still trying to resolve the input from @ppg70, specifically his mark-up of one of the spy pics. The diagonal door crease (very much P80-ish) I can't understand how it will work with the obvious horizontal crease leading back to the rear fender line and scoop opening. Also, he mentions it's not a targa so my guess of J50-like roofline is in question.

Other than that the latest spy pics only revealed some details around the door handle and what looks to be the rear fenders bulging out starting at the back of the doors, again P80-like. There is a little hint about the lower body skirts which seem to be less curvy than recent F-cars but still not enough info to predict this area. I think it's one area that I look forward to seeing most and hope it's as aggressive as P80.

Question mark for me also will be the weight. Hopefully they haven't done hybrid for the sake of hybrid--unless it's the only way to meet emissions--and sacrificed handling with the extra weight, though the CG should be nice and low.

Luque, crinoid and of2worlds like this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Looking forward to seeing that also. The lower edge of the opening shouldn't be a surprise as it looks to be the horizontal line from the door (and door handle) just below the window line and leading to a nicely defined P3/P4 rear fender line. The upper part I think should be subdued or sympathetic to surrounding lines and probably close to what I've sketched.

I just hope we don't get a surprise of a Ford GT-type buttress.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I predict no prominent bolt on type of rear wing The rear end will most likely have a more subtle integrated aero-solution instead,

I predict an S duct or ducts at the front end, and side vents but of a different shape and greater number than the 488/F8. With a thirsty turbo and their intercoolers, prominent and multiple side vents are a given.

With the added weight of electric motors and lithium ion batteries, Ferrari will be forced to pare down weight by going carbon where possible but not the central chassis. So bumpers, under-tray, hood, door skins, trunk and roof.

F2003-GA, REALZEUS, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  10. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Curiosity begins to become overbearing. The wait is almost over: more or less reliable sites and magazines talk about Wednesday, May 29th at 7.30pm (time from here, Italy). I assume it is an invitation presentation but also a presentation on the web, for us mere mortals. I'd like to start seeing small teasers on social media, some clues.

Do you remember the presentation of the FF? It would be nice to be able to participate in a live show like that.

FF was revolutionary for Ferrari. BB could be revolutionary again for Ferrari.

Recently it also happened with Monza.

11. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I still own a T with just 7,000km...Certainly not a looker, but a lovely car to drive...The T is a massive improvement on the QV and in my opinion drives better than the 328 and the early 348s.

tfazio, F2003-GA and of2worlds like this.
  12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Everyone is making this thing sound like Ferrari’s Senna... Fast, spuriously expensive and ugly.

Personally I am hoping for a car which evokes the performance philosophy of the F40 but with a modern powertrain and the style of a racer. Not long to wait!

13. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #2238 4re4ever, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Not sure where your getting the idea of people wanting a Ferrari Senna from. Plus why would we want that? Ferrari has been making Customer track cars well before the Senna was even an idea. The Senna is not a Hybrid so no point comparing them. This is Ferrari's big move into this new format, instead of wasting time and money developing an old format that sadly has no future due to changes in the world and their new supporting laws and regs. I think this will give Ferrari a massive head start.

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Talk of the car looking like a ‘spaceship’ has me thinking. The camouflaged mules don’t look especially different to the standard mid V8 form of most manufacturers. Therefore it would be what is not under the shape rather than what is. In other words, the holes that we can’t see - major aero? That would make sense - more speed, more weight, aero lends a helping hand. The battery weight has only one advantage - it could theoretically be positioned in many places for better weight distribution, both horizontally and vertically. I wonder if there is significant active aero on this car and maybe the ‘what is not there’ has to do with some newer and more aggressive aero ideas for a Ferrari production car such as more open areas towards the underneath (thus aiding battery cooling too)?

This car is not a Senna but it is a 1,000hp Ferrari. It has to do well on track and if it has weight disadvantage that is overcome by power, aero needs to be very high otherwise its track feel will be good but marred by weight. This all supposing that the claim of 1,000kg must be wrong and cannot be reached. If they miraculously find a way to do that (can’t see how) then this would be a hard car not to buy.

F2003-GA, of2worlds and Garretto like this.
  15. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

16. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Another thought; this car seems to be an example of Ferrari forward-thinking. It must have been conceived three or four years ago and there have been odd mules (the strange 458 for example) around for that period of time with people suggesting it could be some form of hybrid. The advent of electric cars means that massive power, but especially torque, will become comparatively cheap in the future therefore every manufacturer will be able to easily put a car into production that can accelerate very rapidly indeed. Someone needs to write the rules for what a supercar is in this coming age of huge accelerative performance. Hadn’t it ought to be Ferrari? This product presentation could be very interesting indeed! People talk about Ferrari being left behind - which has always been nonsense - unlike some others, this looks very much to me like a true example of careful and thoughtful leadership. We’ll see.

F2003-GA, F140C, stavura and 2 others like this.
  18. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #2243 4re4ever, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    I think it’s the back of the BB (Proportion are off a bit and the lights will be smaller but they have really messed with the original for this image. But I think this quick play around gives just a very basic ver on the final rear shape)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

• v1.jpg
      v1.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  19. snowboy458

snowboy458 Karting

Jan 31, 2013
  20. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I think with this car Ferrari is looking for some blow-out headline performance figures, raise the tech bar to a new level, and monetise quickly the first mover advantage (McLaren is perhaps a few months behind). That would partly explain the unprecedented size of the launch event for a car with such a price tag - dealers will be tapping up deposits in short order. To Ferrari investors this would be a "shock and awe" statement: almost a billion euros of revenues assembled within 3 days under a white marquee.

I expect that weight is not the primary focus as the tech needs to evolve before we can have a Senna-like car. It is also worth recalling the LaFerrari is actually quite a heavy car, yet it's poise and balance let alone power on the track completely belies the 1700kg we have weighed it at when we have had one at some of our track sessions in Italy. I would absolutely love to see Ferrari make a Senna-like car. Of the cars I have owned, it is the closest in spirit to the F40 - a back to back session on the track with the two is magical. I suspect we will need to wait for a future iteration of the hybrid to get such a car though.

BTW, I think it is more of a spaceship inside than out.

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    From being currently involved in a couple of battery/hybrid projects (non-auto) I can say that batteries are heavy and not a solution onto itself unless you take advantage of the benefits of electric power by downsizing the heat engine components, electrically power some powertrain elements and beyond that, mitigate the extra weight of the batteries by reducing weight elsewhere.
    Very much BB. photo is quite distorted by wide-angle shot and the taillights and exhaust have been blacked out.
    Agreed. That arc was visible on some mules. It also looks lower that the roof line hence my prediction it's J50-like.

snowboy458 likes this.
  22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Agreed. @REALZEUS showed us what a spaceship looks like from the outside and I don't think we want that, LOL.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    More or less this but with more regular shaped rectangular lights:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Do you think BB might have a vertical rear window that could be opened like a spider but a solid roof?
    Neat drawing yet again!

F2003-GA likes this.
  25. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Just realized this was posted by Ferrari themselves. Wait is almost over, two more days and everyone will finally see it.