Need help deciding | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

488 Spider or Huracan Performante

1. 488 Spider

63.6%
  2. Huracan Performante

36.4%
  1. J0905

J0905 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time deciding between buying a slightly used 488 Spider or a Lamborghini Huracan Performante. If anyone has long term experience with living with either the performate or 488 I'd appreciate all the advice.

Thanks much!

2. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    What are you looking for in a car? These two are very different.

Do you want a car more focused for track work and performance, or more daily drivable and cruising with the roof down ?

3. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    Recently faced this question. Have you driven both? You’ll be surprised at how there’s no choice. One will fit and the other won’t.
    I assumed these cars were similar and on paper they are. Behind the wheel they’re ENTIRELY different cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WM458, LVP488 and of2worlds like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Both great cars. Drive them both and decide. One more of a “luxury” car. The other more harsh, track oriented. Both great power. No wrong choice.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I am bias only because I drive spiders. I tried to fit in a Perf convertible and couldn’t get the seat to go back far enough for my taste. Good luck as either rig is a winner. Best ,Kirk.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Dealer can make the seat go back a little more.

I’ve purchased both cars in question. 488 s is a good gt cruiser. Perf is a proper sports car.
    488 more nimble. Perf more performance focused.
    I like loud cars.
    I’ve had 4 Ferraris, Never was a lambo guy, but this car is pretty incredible. Honestly I plan to sell the Pista and keep Perf and only replace with the next Perf.

Thecadster, Coincid and dmark1 like this.
  7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very tough one. The perf has clearly the best sound of any car out there right now, but the depreciation is hell. The 488 has more room inside it if you are over 6’1” this is a huge consideration. I think the fit and finish of the Ferrari is a bit better.

If you DO decide for the perf check out the Blu Nethuns one at Lambo Dallas. I’m partial to it. :rolleyes:

liquid360 and DRYHOLE like this.
  8. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    I went 488 for those reasons and more. I found it to simply be the better car across the board for real world use. The Lambo was a cartoon. I don’t mean in a bad way. The Lambo is pure drama and the Ferrari is beauty/grace IMO.

m3995 likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Very well put. I cant disagree. That’s part of the appeal of Lambo for sure.

liquid360 likes this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Both good choices. After the 458 spider and GT3, I wanted to try something different. I love my 580-2 and use it as a daily driver. Prefer the driving dynamics of RWD.

As the above poster mentioned, there's a lot of drama and its always an event to get behind the wheel. The sound of the NA V10 at 7k rpm doesnt compare IMO. Ironically, Im grateful to own a coupe as it provides some degree of privacy behind tinted glass. The attention a Rosso Mars H gets far eclipses the 458 but 100% positive so far.

liquid360 likes this.
  11. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    I TOTALLY agree with the coupe part. There are maybe a handful of days I’d drive top down, but love privacy and I really LOVE being able to see the Ferrari engine under glass. I couldn’t in a Spyder.

View attachment 2711101

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am one of those people that probably couldn't fit in the Huracan but I haven't tried one. I do own the 488 Spider and think it's an excellent car. With the top down the visibility is great and the car is fun to drive. With the top up the visibility is somewhat constrained but manageable. There is headroom with the top up but not if I have a helmet on for the track, it's very uncomfortable that way. I have tracked the car three times and it's very good on the track but I didn't buy it for that purpose. I get a lot of enjoyment driving it with the top down but I like drop tops, you may not.

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    #13 Surfah, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Seeing the engine is special.

I should add that Im not a fan as much of the soft-top convertibe look for security and aesthetic reasons. The 458 spider looked good IMO and one bonus was keeping the top up with the rear window down to listen to the engine.

liquid360 likes this.
  14. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I do recommend test driving. Most good exotic car rentals will have a 488 in the fleet that you can beat on. Performante is alot harder to find, but most Lambo dealers are generous with test drives from my experience and observations.

One thing is don't test drive a standard Huracan to use as a baseline for the Performante. From what I hear, the two are very different in feel. I put a few hundred miles on a rental Huracan and wasn't too impressed with it. Never drove a Performante.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You would not fit in the Perf spyder.

liquid360 likes this.