488 - Price Expectation | FerrariChat

488 Price Expectation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Hello. What do you guys think the prices of the 488 GTB will do? So many Ferrari vehicles to choose from. The 458,488,488 Pista,F8,SF90 are all awesome cars. If people can afford a F8, why not go for the Pista or SF90? I just purchased my 2016 488. Did I get it at peak? Will prices fall? Will prices remain steady or rise? Thoughts would be appreciated.. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You already bought the car. Stop worrying about prices and just go enjoy the car.

Yes it will go down in value but who cares. Drive it and enjoy it.

3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    We could be dead tomorrow, just drive and enjoy my friend. Jealous you get to drive your Ferrari, still waiting for mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes you will get roasted - just look at where 458s trade

Jakuzzi, IPO1, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

They will fall this car will be 140/150 in 5/6 years. Not an investment imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    You paid MRSP for a 2016 GTB??? Oh jeesh, I have some ocean front property to sell you. Harvey wasn't that bad. I promise.

IPO1 likes this.
  7. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Looks beautiful! Please take good care of it for me so I can buy it for $140k in a couple years. Jokes aside, drive the heck out of it and don't worry about it. It's going to drop.

paulchua likes this.
  8. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    LOLOL. No Thanks. MSRP on my car was $319K. I did not pay that! My deal was great and I will enjoy my car.

pdxjim488, Clay512TR and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It will go down, but that’s part of the experience ironically. You don’t buy a 488 gtb as an investment, but as something to live life to the fullest. Live that life my friend, and leave investments to the stock market or real estate.

Drive the hell out of it, because that’s priceless.

Bob Sullivan, LVP488, alibo70 and 3 others like this.
  10. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I think pricing will slowly fall like all mass production Ferrari models. The one thing that bugs me is people jumping all over people for being concerned about resale values. My guess is that we didn't all get here by wasting money. I would guess most of us are careful on how we spend our money. That being said you are screwed just like myself:) I would be happy to work a deal a few years from now on my worthless 458 for your worthless 488. My best guess is 10 years is the bottom of the depreciation curve on exotics. I sold a 1985 Jalpa for 25k at the rm fort Lauderdale auction around 1998 or so. Now they are much higher unfortunately for me.

galt likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think it depends on the context. I'm a Frugal Ferrarista so depreciation value matters a lot to me, that's why I stick to the used market. In that coral, nobody jumps on anybody for the topic, it's an implicit facet of the situation.

However, if one is buying a relatively brand new mass production Ferrari (or any new Luxury Car for that matter) and concerned about depreciation...well - I think a serious look at one's priorities need are in order, hence the 'jumping' on those that are overly concerned.

Let me give an analogy. Imagine somebody wanting to buy a 2 pound Kobe steak and Lobster meal, but obsess if it is too unhealthy/too many calories for them?

I can tell you, that if a would-be diner asked me the question 10 times in the row, by the 11th time I would say order the damn meal and enjoy it OR STFU.

Mayrivercrab and Clay512TR like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Of the cars you quoted, 458 is the best value for money because it's older and already depreciated - but you'd probably get even more value with an even older car that will not depreciate anymore at all.
    Then there is the choice of liking something newer like the 488 - but it comes at a price.
    The Pista is more expensive than both 488 and F8, and to me it's not justifying the price gap with the F8 - but that's because I don't care about exclusivity.
    The SF90 is expected to be significantly more expensive, so it's not really competing with the 488/F8/Pista.

Ash Patel, ScottS and paulchua like this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    investment in priceless times :)

14. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    a lot depends on reliability and complexity. i'd venture a guess that the 488 may be more unreliable than a 458 (the 458 is very reliable though so the 488 may well be just as solid). I say that because it is more complex. you have two turbos that could fail and all the piping and cooling that goes along with it. Not only that, but the motor is smaller (3.9 vs 4.5) and there is more horsepower/torque being generated per cylinder.

The 458 is holding well right now I think partly because its the last NA, i and partly because its very reliable. The 355/360/430 weren't as cheap to maintain. I've done 6000 miles in 3 years on my 458 and it hasn't given me any problems except one shock I replaced because it was rattling.

Another thing is that you have the tributo now which is basically an upgraded 488. this will drive down 488 prices for sure. And you have other twin turbo v8 competitors like the McLaren 675 and 720s which put down similar or better numbers.

15. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Buy my toys cash and try not to worry about it. Sometimes resale is a bonus like my 3 year old 991 GT3 that I traded in for 92% of MSRP other times like my AMG it's not as favorable and I negotiated depreciation into a purchase price discount.

Buying low mileage used is definitely the way to go, let the original owner take the depreciation hit.

Sometimes like when I bought my new 458 Spider, lightly used examples were trading above MSRP. I think those days for mass produced Ferrari models are over though.

"Smiles per mile" is my ROI.

Glad your 458 ownership experience is problem free. I daily drove mine a couple years, battery crapped out when only a couple months old although I am religious about plugging in the battery tender. Dealer replaced under warranty. Then folding roof mechanism crapped out after 18 months also replaced under warranty.

Agree that F8 will drive down 488 prices more rapidly.

Regarding McLaren, the 600LT from a performance/cost ratio is competitive.

Ash Patel and paulchua like this.
  16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    488 GTB prices... going down

Ray

17. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Agreed. Been following the used market very closely and they're not moving. There will be no choice but to start lowering the price.

18. victor430

victor430 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Douglas John Price
    Hi Guys
    I have just bought a 488 Spider recently and really enjoy it , however, it has only done 7000KM and has rattle when the roof is down.
    The dealer says that it is normal. Is he for real?

19. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    It depends what kind of rattle. If you mean scuttle shake, yes it's normal. Although you get that (albeit slightly less severely) with the roof up as well with a spider.

20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That’s BS. , mine does not rattle.

21. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I’m afraid all Fcars will see greater softening on pricing. I recently sold my 488 Spider to a non-Ferrari dealer in FL and he said prices on Fcars are falling at the auctions. I specifically asked him about the 458 and if it was holding up due to being the last NA V8. He said a lot of their depreciation has occurred (as compared to the 488) but he sees no let up in depreciation.

Also, I posted this in the general discussion thread but it applies here as well. I fear Ferrari’s are in for a big hit as well:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/06/10/rolls-royce-aston-martin-lamborghini-ultra-luxury-car-prices/1365606001/

IPO1 likes this.
  22. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’ve been watching the 488 market for more than 6 months now, and most cars that are 260K+ are not moving and most are still available. “Good” cars that are in the low 220-235K seem to go in a reasonable time. So I’m still watching, when the F8 hits the street I may move on a 488 then.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    2016s
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mayrivercrab, C50 and IPO1 like this.
  24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Interesting
    What site is that from?
    Thanks

Mayrivercrab likes this.
  25. victor430

victor430 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Douglas John Price
    Thanks for the advice.. I did not expect to hear any noise other than the motor.
    Has anyone devised and "add on" to the back window to prevent the wind coming back into the cabin when the top is down?