NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 117 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SmokinV10

SmokinV10 Karting

Oct 19, 2017
    #2901 SmokinV10, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Seems that the heftier weight is the new norm with the incoming generation of hybrid supercars. Add power to compensate for the increased heft. Question is how well will the batteries hold up over time and can brakes and tires perform as well as a lighter car with less power

I’d wonder if the SF90 without the hybrid power train weighing 250-300kg less, using the same gearbox and new aero could potentially outperform the hybrid version which I argue exists only to satisfy the needs of the government regulators.

Solid State and tekaefixe like this.
  2. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
  3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    This!

4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    They're truly well done. The more I look at it, the more I love it.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A car close to what you are describing exists; it 's called 488 Pista and is a lot slower than then SF90. Also, at the launch of the LaFerrari, the company explained that the hybrid system contributed more to the performance than it's weight subtracted from it. Now, I know that the SF90 utilises a different system, but I doubt that it hinders overall performance; quite the opposite I would imagine.

cesman likes this.
  6. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    Call me crazy but I actually quite like the key...

racerdj, Nelsonc275, bobw and 3 others like this.
  7. SmokinV10

SmokinV10 Karting

Oct 19, 2017
    I’d venture to guess that a migration from a 7-8 speed gearbox is a significant contributor to performance. The pista doesn’t have that. The internal combustion portion of the SF90 also has another 70hp. That alone consummate to the difference between the 488 and pista. We also cannot under estimate the effect of 250kg on turn in, over/under steer, and general track performance. The performance from non battery powered components is also far more repeatable. It’s a known fact that many of the hybrid suoercars in the past have reduced battery performance after a few laps.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you George! What color(s) are you thinking of?

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does that guy have the world's smallest hands, or is that the just the most snobby key in existence.

I want to open my car with my phone or an RFID at worst, not carry a second "wallet" with me with Ferrari written on it...

Silberpfeil and GHG like this.
  10. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Man, carrying a badge around is another level of showing off.

11. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Um, yeah ... I’m cancelling my order because the key is just too big. Dude, if the key was the size of a roller bag and had wheels I’d somehow find a way to live with it if it meant owning that car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paulchua, Doug23, spyderman and 7 others like this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That key is bad ass!

09Scuderia likes this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. Ditto.
    Seriously though, what's the backup plan if the battery in car or key fob goes flat? Can the doors be opened /car started with a backup mechanical key?
    T

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wish it had butterfly doors though. I will say that just from a practical standpoint they make entry and exit far easier. Plus they look much cooler.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ferrari just doesnt do them unfortunately but I agree with you.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  16. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    What you’re saying is simply not true. The electrics enable the car to do things that a conventional car would simply not be able to do. LMP1 cars have had front electric motors with torque vectoring for years. It is in a different league speed wise.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Just back from tonight’s presentation and I have to be up early to leave tomorrow so i’ll Keep it brief and try to post pics that it took tomorrow. The car is absolutely nothing like a 488/F8/Pista, other than some said the front end was similar (couldn't See that myself personally). I think it looks absolutely great and the consensus was the same - Ferrari have done a great job here. There are so many new things on this car. I would say over 50% absolutely loved it, most of the rest felt it was good and would grow on them. Very few who didn’t like it, from what I could tell. The red looks great but many people were preferring the grey Fiorano pack car. Somehow this car does suit a more ‘technical’ colour rather than a more emotional colour. That kicked-up spoiler on the Fiorano pack was enough but really, it is very hard not to order the Fiorano pack with the added details and so much carbon. Well done Ferrari!

Doug23, Gullwing, SAT4RE and 6 others like this.
  18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Look forward to your pics.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Ferrari do but they don’t do it cheap. Not throwing them on cars less than 2m at the moment lol

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes- I meant for regular production cars.

Jo Sta7 and lamborarri like this.
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is it the lack of a carbon tub that doesn’t allow the butterfly doors on their non hyper cars?

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #2922 ingegnere, May 30, 2019
    I agree, the rear deck is Lambo level of unnecessary complexity, detail but mostly unnecessary bulk.

It does, though, have a show car look to it. Teenage me would have really liked it.

Speaking of show cars, kinda reminds me of this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TheMayor and of2worlds like this.
  23. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Sad when coolest thing about car is the key. They did think outside of the box for that--very different than any other key.

The car not so much.

24. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #2924 cesman, May 30, 2019
    The car is really nicely done. The HMI (human machine interface) is a real step up for Ferrari. Instrument panel is Audi-esque with haptic touch controls on the steering and dash for everything. On-screen graphics are excellent and change according to the various modes. Cruise control is adaptive.

The manettino is divorced from the drive-train in that one selects the propulsion - all electric, hybrid, sport & quali (my terminology may not be 100%) separately from the manettino setting on the left side of the steering wheel.

My only disappointment is the luggage space - which is very very limited. The space behind the seats where LdM once boasted one could fit a golf bag in a 360M now has no capacity at all - that’s occupied by the battery pack between the firewall and the seats. The front compartment (if one uses a Pista’s already reduced space as a reference point) is shallower - because the bonnet is more sloped/flatter and underneath is the front electric motors. You could literally fit one bag - can’t wait to see pics of the fitted luggage set! Apologies I don’t have a pic but one will surface from the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    They actually said that according to their calculations, the new torque vectoring system is equivalent to a 200kg weight reduction... So no surprise that this is a lot faster on track than a Pista...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, F140C and REALZEUS like this.