F8 - Performante to F8? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F8 Performante to F8?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 737Drvr, May 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #51 Coincid, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    After owning my Performante ( 2018,19) for almost a year, my romance continues unabated. However, as a confirmed car junkie, my curiosity was piqued once again to visit my Ferrari dealer to revisit the 488. I do have a keen interest in the F8 but since it will not be available for viewing let alone driving anytime soon I decided to experience the 488 to determine how it compares to the Performante. The logic being, if the 488 can satisfy me, the F8, which is faster and a vastly improved update, would be worth ordering. My assessment is predicated on analyzing the objective characteristics and capabilities of these cars coupled with highly subjective impressions that further distinguishes and differentiates them. As a generalization , the current generation of super cars are so capable and so technically adept in virtually all parameters of performance both on roads and on the track so that they possess more similarities than differences. The following observations will clearly not be shared by many and they are proferred simply as a personal journey focussing on 3 cars that are currently available at similiar price points. I am not a brand loyalist. I have and will in the future, purchase the car that I deem most satisfying from whichever brand happens to manufacture it. My bias is driving the car that most fulfills my priorities and preferences. I have no dogs in the race .

The 488 was driven in the sport and race settings and only in manual mode. The suspension, fortunately, unlike the Performante, can be independently adjusted adjusted in each setting. I went from medium to firm. The test drive encompassed highway, city streets and quiet , winding roads in an industrial area. The high speeds ( blatantly unlawful) and divergent road terrains allowed for a fairly comprehensive evaluation of the individual car's capabilities and personality. Immediately apparent was the tightness and rigidity of the chassis and suspension.While the 488 has an aluminum cockpit, it exhibited the lack of flex inherent to one constructed of carbon fibre. The ride characteristic was very smooth, and refined coupled with the suspension being firm and mildly compliant creating an oversall feel of comfort and precision. Steering offered a good sense of driver feedback as well as being direct perhaps a slight err on the side of being a tad light.Turbo lag has been minimized to a level that makes it barely noticeable in the 2-3K range unlike the 720S which is slightly more intrusive in this area, Otherwise, acceleration was instantaneous and very responsive but not quite as linear as the NA-V10. Make no mistake, the 488 is very fast. A nudge on the throttle propels the car from 40 mph - 100 mph in what seems like a blink of an eye. However, not as blistering as the 720S which is the trail blazer in this domain. The DCT is razor sharp with seamless gear transition at least the equal of the 720S and Performante. Equally impressive is the tenacious grip and precision handling abilities of this RWD car, only matched by the 720S. There is no wheel spin upon launch which is evident , for example, with the 580-2. The 488 (and 720S) exhibit a glued to the road persona that heretofore was the exclusive domain of AWD yet without their tendency to understeer. The exhaust note has been an issue of controversy. Some claim that with the introduction of forced air induction, the 488's sound is lacking gravitas compared to the previous NA models, while others are quite content with the noise. It certainly does not approach the mellifluous sound of the Performante but it is noticeably superior to the 720S.

The 488, overall is a stellar performer and in many parameters of performance equals competitors and carves out new ground in some. It is extremely well built and exudes that sensation as it is driven. While the interior is finished in mainly superb materials ( with the exception of the climate control panel which is fashioned with cheap looking plastic) combined with excellent workmanship, there exists an old school aura about the cockpit. While the Performante is much more modern and super car like in appearance, it too uses some cheap looking plastic elements. The 488 is extremely well balanced. Its strenghs are many and varied and its objective flaws minimal.

But on a personal, subjective level, where priorities and preferences weigh heavy in the areas of heightened driver engagement, a real sense of driver- car connection and feedback, with highly compelling driver dynamics, the 488 does not meet the threshold exhibited by the Performante. The 488 is highly refined, civilized and controlled ( much like the 720S) which will undoubtedly appeal to many. For those who value those attributes in a super car, the 488 and the 720S, will comport with those preferences to a degree unmatched by any other super cars. The 488, ( and 720S) despite all its quantifiable excellences and there are many, did not cause my heart to pound nor was there a sense of awe and excitement approaching that engendered while driving the Performante. From its sonorous , authoritative engine note, to the raw energy and exhilirating driving dynamics, the Perf constantly reminded me how special driving the car feels, whether it was a civilized drive at moderate speeds or pushing its limits on isolated roads. The car engulfs the senses and resonants to one's core. For the very reason, many car enthusiasts still prefer the 458 Speciale or the 430 Scud, whle cognizant that their objective driving capabilities are not up to the standards of the 488, or 720S, remain inspired by the thrill and excitement inherent in driving them. The Performante addresses all my priorities and preferences more fully than any competitor. It is the synthesis of objective excellence and emotional excitement.To satisfy my super car predilections, the F8 will need to up its game over the 488 more than just a bit.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ^

Fair assessment.
    Those who have not driven the Perf will not comprehend your viewpoint.
    The rest really don’t value the visceral nature that certain exotics can offer like an F40, TDF, 16M, P1.
    Best.

3. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Fantastic write up. I am with you as a non-brand loyalist (my other cars are 911's).

I think there is another algorithm constantly at work for those of us that buy across brand lines. And that comes down to a ratio of what I call "Bliss to Bling". For me, Ferrari sits slightly more on the Bling side so the performance or look you need to offset that is, as you suggest, a game that must be "upped". The 720S is essentially one of the most awesome Bling to Bliss cars ever manufactured. And I don't own one -- just driven others. The HP is an amazing car but, and this is just to me, it's screaming Bling design just makes it a non-starter. It's not a car I would be comfortable driving to work or seeing my employees and co-workers pull into a parking spot. Again, that's just me.

My GT3 and my 911 Targa 4 GTS have both given me a ton of joy with little-to-no Bling Regret. Same for my California T. I think the 488 Pista / F8 are interesting and I am investigating those further. Glad you are enjoying your HP and thanks for the excellent and well-reasoned write up. Look forward to more of your thoughts as your experience with the HP continues.

Gh21631 likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree on the bling note. But I like it in understated and elegant blue (biased!)
    I don’t take mine to work but it really is an out there car.

But....In SoCal, my Ferraris often got the middle finger while the Perf has never once had anything but love.

09Scuderia likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I will never understand that.

italiafan likes this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Just returned from my dealer and the GM advises he knows nothing about this model appearing anytime soon.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Had a very intensive run with the EVO and it is a tamped down, softer version of the Perf. In a straight-line, virtually no difference. Not as raw and compelling but exceptionally capable with Performante engine sound . The Perf is definitely more track and driver focussed.The pricing makes no sense. More expensive than the Perf when it shoud have been somewhere between the 610 and the HP. The EVO is a quantum leap over the 610 or 580 on every measure and if it was priced right, that would be the logical choice for those owners.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Odd but true. The reaction to the Performante is unanimously positive usually bordering on unbridled raves. Not a single negative comment or gesture.

Gh21631, Motorwerks and dustman like this.
  9. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    As someone who has owned a 458 for 4 years now and a HP for 1 week I agree with everything you said.

I test drove the 488 on track when it was first released and it just didn’t deliver on the X factor for me. Just prior to deciding on the HP I drove the 812 which I really had my heart set on but again while being blistering fast and a great car overall it just felt docile for lack of a better word. When buying cars like this I’m looking for a high level of excitement , sound and something that feels aggressive without necessarily being overly uncomfortable.
    I think it’s hard to make a car very comfortable to drive and still feel raw / aggressive. It’s a fine line that for some can be to much one way or the other.
    On the HP. I’m loving it. It’s loud, it looks outlandish which some might not like, it feels very planted. Slightly less comfortable then the 458 but good for a lambo.

Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You are my kind of car people. I got a lot of heat for saying the 488 lacked excitement.

tekaefixe and Coincid like this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Appreciate the feedback. I was toying with building an Evo Spyder, but visually I like the Perf a lot more.

Gh21631 and Coincid like this.
  12. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you Sir. Different cars do things for different people. Not everyone is looking for the same experience.
    Wouldn’t it be boring if everyone liked and bought the exact same car? These cars are very much about what stirs your emotions. And that thing might be found in a 488 for one person 458 for the other.
    I once had a 1988 twin cam flat back Toyota Corolla and that was a great little car to drive. Still look back at that car with fond memories.

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Would you expect otherwise on a Ferrari forum. Criticism of the newest Ferrari will understandably be met with attack.

Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  14. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Evo's at dealers already unsold. $337K--and looks like a base 580 in my eyes.

I'd take a Performante all day for a lot less. My .02.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It takes more than $75K to make it look good.

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #66 IPO1, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Seriously looks alike a weak base 580--how insane. Ooofffff.

Copying existing models like Ferrari did with Strad :rolleyes:;)

17. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    75K? All it needs is a wing. Almost looks like an HP already minus the wing.

18. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Much agreed...well-spoken.

Coincid likes this.
  19. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Ditto. Same typical Ferrari reaction around here

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    hhhmm - he is clearly being evasive - I would put an EOI in regardless - btw car is a minimum of 18 months away

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #71 Coincid, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Standard front and rear is matte black plastic. Looks very cheap. Must change to carbon fibre or high gloss black. Side skirts need same treatment. Interior needs full carbon fibre skin option to replace inferior plastic. Wheels need upgrading.

The show car has many of the interior options required- carbon fibre, contrast stitching , bicolore , alcantara steering wheel, and the exterior options - coloured calipers, diamond cut wheels .

22. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I see your point now. Thank you for the explanation.

Coincid likes this.
  23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After initially backing away from the Performante Spyder ordered I relented and picked it up today before someone else grabbed it from Lambo Dallas.

Blue Nethuns with Giallo “Submarine” interior.

Crappy pic of interior, more to follow.

Incredible sound was just impossible to walk away from, so I let my wallet walk away from me anyway. :oops:

Attached Files:

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #74 IPO1, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    HAHA! I love it! I knew you could not resist. Tim was happy you took it I'm sure ;)

Congrats!

dmark1 likes this.
  25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know, I went and ate Mexican food a block away last night and thought I would just drop by and look at it through the window since the dealer was closed (safer that way I thought). Wouldn’t you know, it was front and center and when I saw it through the window my wallet began to shudder.

Thecadster likes this.