Cost to repaint brake calipers | FerrariChat

Cost to repaint brake calipers

Discussion in '360/430' started by azzurribaggio, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Are you going to remove them and clean them up before taking them to a painter?

3. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Probably not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Somewhere above $1000, then, including decals and clear-coating.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Personally having done this myself I would not recommend use of decals, the factory didn't, they used stencils which of course can use decals but they are then removed once painted and lacquer coated. End result looks waaay better and no possibility of shrinkage.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  7. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I've been toying with powder coating the calipers on my SL63. There's a shop in Florida that specializes in doing brake calipers and the cost seems reasonable. Downside of course is your car sits for a couple of weeks and powder coating isn't recommended if you plan to track the car.

https://www.armortechpowdercoating.com/brake-calipers-powder-coating-landing/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMjnBRCtARIsAGwWnBMJ36AU8X3KTSnut7aGq0Jr--AuNKkraoqxS-T832EEQin-tK3r3k4aAo2ZEALw_wcB

Longevity seems to be a downside I've noticed with some caliper repaints - one 360 owner here has his done at least every 2 years. I suppose it could be a number of factors (paint & applicator quality, "dusty pads" etc), but when I installed the Brembo big brake kit on my 430, I've been very pleased with how nice the calipers look after 2 years with a decent amount of miles. I spoke with their U.S. rep. about a custom color before I ordered the kit, which they said they could do, but they indicated the custom finish would not be as durable as their standard finishes.

8. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Mine are in desperate need of a repaint. I'd like to take the calipers off the car and send them to be refurbished, what tool would be best to clamp the brake pipes?

9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Taz your calipers and rotors are cleaner than the plate I ate dinner from

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's that raised look on the caliper where the stickers protrude that I can clearly see even in this photo that I absolutely dislike plus I've seen stickers actually crack when calipers get too hot with extreme track use and it's the reason why factory uses a paint stencil. Just doesn't look as good to my eyes. Guess everything is in the eye if the beholder..

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

KC360 FL likes this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    NYC Fred and brookliner7 like this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #12 tazandjan, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Trev- And the raised portion, like 3D, is what I love about mine. Plus there are no stencils for my Mov-It ceramic brakes and I have larger than OEM Ferrari script on the fronts because of the larger calipers necessary for the oversized pads. My fronts have been on mine for 8 years with no degradation.

For others with OEM brakes, does Ferrari sell those stencils?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

360trev likes this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Exactly as I said.. everyone likes different things, would be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

I wanted OEM look on my calipers so choice to make stencils and use paint to do the logo's, not stickers, exactly the same way they are done by Brembo. Virtually all of the aftermarket kits use stickers so I didn't want it to look aftermarket and went with oem look. Since there are no factory calipers and discs like yours (a real shame as your setup is very good) doing whatever you want doesn't take anything away from them. 3D or flat works just fine depending on your taste and budget.

Its worth also pointing out that It does of course cost more time and effort to to stencils because you have to paint the calipers more than one time. First the body of the caliper and then for every additional color added so quite time consuming. So it all really depends on what you want. As for buying stencils, i never found a single supplier selling them and impossible in my inquiries to get the bremo carbon ceramic done (as it was so small and detailed) so I purchased a vinyl cutting/plotting machine which had the specs that could do what I wanted and made my own.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trev- You should sell the stencils and get some of your costs back. The results are really good.

15. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    The stencils are stickers ;-) Just need to weed them in "negative".
    Hit me up with your need, I have a side business (icutstickers.com) of making customer stickers (big & small).
    I can get you a set of whatever you like for your calipers, custom brands, etc,...

Rich.

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Taz, who painted / stenciled your calipers? A shop in TN?

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, a shop in New Mexico that is now out of business.

18. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Not on the ferrari but on my Boxster back in 2001, I did a red powder coat and Porsche stencils then hi temp clear. The trick to getting good results is to take your time between the stencil and clear step. Even if you bake them still wait a week to let the paint for the logo cure. Then when you have put about 4 good coats of clear, wet sand the clear on the face to make the logo flat. Then polish out the wet sanding marks. It looks amazing, no one at the time could tell my calipers didn’t come from factory that way.

I’ll dig around for pics on the weekend but I think they won’t be digital it was so long ago so I’ll have to scan them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    bw929, chenglo1, mwstewart and 4 others like this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get some M10x1 female brake connectors off e bay, Weld a blank on one end. These will allow you to blank them all off on a 430. The rear flexy on a 430 is screwed direct into the caliper , so you need to remove the caliper with the flexy attached and disconnect it from the steel pipe. You also need to remove the rear wheel liners and the engine side covers to access a bolt in the liner. Not a quick job as just had mine out

21. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I paid $1100ish to have mine changed from black to yellow. The painter used an epoxy paint thru a small spray gun. Three coats of yellow, applied the stickers, then three coats of clear. This was over a year ago and 1,000 miles. They still look brand new.

clean512, AandSC and Auraraptor like this.
  22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Honestly they look great!

23. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks, the guy that painted them does the painting for a Ferrari dealership. I told him how OCD I am, and he didn’t disappoint me. It took him and a helper 7-8 hours.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those look great.

Extreme1 likes this.
  25. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3