Non Hybrid Stradale | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Non Hybrid Stradale

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by SoCal to az, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    While this is true when operating a powertrain, I think it’s very unlikely that we will come to a future where manufactures of exotic cars will only offer electric cars. The problem is that efficiency during operation is just one side of the story. The production of the batteries and thus an electric car is much more energy intensive compared to an ICE car. So making a full electric exotic car, which often is rather rarely driven takes the environmental approach ad absurdum. I can’t see social acceptance for that in the future.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I guess you are referring to electrically driven superchargers. They might preserve the sound, but they are less efficient as they don't take advantage of the exhaust gasses. Now, if you have electrically assisted turbochargers, the muffling effect will remain as the exhaust gases will still drive the turbine.

tekaefixe and ingegnere like this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    One would think that the difference between the BB and the LB will be more like 200 HP. Also, the LB won't have the fancy technology of the BB. Ferrari knows how to maintain product separation. ;)

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    That’s my point

If you are one that has to have the latest ASAP have the cash to spend , you won’t care
    But given the SF90 deliveries won’t start until 2022 the LB will be reviled before then

Unlike the surprise of the F8

If buyers of the Pista knew about the F8 how many really would have still proceeded ? I agree it’s still more unique than the F8

And what if the last hooray there is a special F8

tekaefixe likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    1st quarter of 2020.

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    [QUOTE="MANDALAY, post: 146639087, member: 143328"
    If buyers of the Pista knew about the F8 how many really would have still proceeded ? 8[/QUOTE]

Not a single Pista buyer would have skipped the Pista to get an F8. Not one.

Caeruleus11 and U-Boat Commander like this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Right, hence my question, why bother with hybrid?

For sure, with future (expected) battery development all-electric will be hard to beat and differentiators, as you touched on, will be also style and luxury.

Solid State and tekaefixe like this.
  8. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    For what it's worth, here's my biggest issues with hybrid/KERS technology :

- more complexity, means more stuff that can break
    - if the hybrid/KERS batteries in the Stradale are discharged below a certain level, will the car be completely immobilized (like LaFerrari)?
    - replacement cost of batteries (especially, of course, out of warranty)

none of my issues have anything to do with on-road or on-track performance ...

of2worlds and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  9. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Non-hybrid Stradale is a wishful thinking

10. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  11. SmokinV10

SmokinV10 Karting

Oct 19, 2017
    kandi likes this.
  12. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Isn’t the LB gonna be a ttV6 with hybrid tech? If so, it will still have the fancy tech. And didn’t Ferrari say that the hybrid tech will trickle down to other cars, which translate is that they will come out with a future model (The LB).
    And let’s not forget that the upcoming Aston Martin Vanquish will have a TTV6 with hybrid tech as well, and Mclaren is testing a hybrid 720S. This is for meeting the Euro emissions. So all these things point to the LB having a hybrid drive

ingegnere likes this.
  13. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Torque.

tekaefixe likes this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I never questioned that. I just think that it will be simpler (i.e. no front axle motors). After all the LB is supposed to focus more on driver entertainment rather than absolute performance.

ingegnere likes this.
  15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ... obviously just trying to jump back in the spotlight for a minute on Ferrari's coattails :rolleyes:

From the article : "The big hole in his logic, though, is that the 004CS is a track-focused car that, while road legal, doesn’t place the kind of emphasis on daily drivability, luxury, and comfort that the SF90 Scuderia does. And despite his fighting words, the SCG 007 LMP1 Hypercar has yet to be built and raced to prove Glickenhaus' claims."

ingegnere and REALZEUS like this.
  16. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not a single Pista buyer would have skipped the Pista to get an F8. Not one.[/QUOTE]

+1

My Pista order went in just last week. I certainly know about the F8, and did not consider backing out of the Pista

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Completely agree with this. It is exactly the same as the F1 car. You choose your mode for what you want out of it. And the recharge possibilities on track will be immense - massive braking, very high revs and a lot of fuel put through those cylinders. No doubt you could’t do quali laps all the time but this is the SF90 Stradale. It adds another level of intelligence required in your driving and is another thing to master. I love that.

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Ferrari are not stupid. By the time LB arrives SF90 will have another variant. Maybe 1,100 hp and lighter weight - who knows what they have up their sleeve? LB has plenty of room around 850hp - comfortably under SF90 and above F8/Pista. Already 50 more than the £750k Senna, at probably £250k. Not sure why there is criticism at what ‘could be’ in the future when everything Ferrari have done in the past points to the opposite - they never compromised the integrity of a model with another one in the range before so why imagine it will happen now when they have so much room to slot LB in?

stavura, of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    In fact 0-200 (most relevant increment because 0-100 time give a significant advantage to SF90 due to awd) sees the SF90 at 0.1s quicker than the Senna. This is claimed of course, but as Mac fans often say, McLaren has introduced new levels of competition into the market. Seems illogical to think Ferrari didn’t notice. Senna is a different car but it and the Aventador represent the closest offering from competitors at a product above the 488/F8/Huracan/720 competitor set. Ferrari’s argument will be we made SF faster, cheaper, more powerful, with more modern tech. Everyone knows SF and Senna are not direct competitors but there is no way they didn’t notice Senna’s performance and form their benchmark.

stavura, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Not sure I agree with this. Unless ICE is banned from production....which it won’t be....Ferrari will always do it. A hybrid has way more soul and interest from a driver’s viewpoint than an EV, so Ferrari will continue it. The efficiency you mentioned is a bit misleading too, as I understand. I am no engineer but the engineers I employ have said in the past that fossil fuels are still the most efficient way of creating motive power. An EV is certainly simpler and more reliable but powering it sees massive energy waste from point of creation to point of wheel movement, such that ICE is overall much more efficient. Is this correct?

21. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    The more tech, the faster the car will age in my opinion. The quicker a product age, the faster it will end up in the scrape yard (not in Ferrari's case, but you'll get my point). I'm afraid cars of the future will have a shorter life time and become products that you use and then throw away.

More things can go wrong, tech is expensie to fix, more special parts needed. And the horrible things we need to do in order to make battery for EV and hybrid cars are beyond peoples knowledge. It's not cost effective and the enviroment takes giant damage in order to find the resources. And yet car manafacturers are forced to do this in order to keep CO2-emmisions from a car low. It's a paradox and extremely stupid.

LB will get the same platform as the SF90, as well as a clean sheet design. It will be a killer car. Lighter, more focused on the pleasure of driving and so on. I think it will be more timeless over time, not neccesary in terms of design and looks, but in the tech of the drivetrain.

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I know very well one of, maybe even, the largest battery producers in the world. Their view is that current tech is reaching its useful capacity and new chemistry is required. Could be that solid state is that idea but that is still very much in its infancy. And European legislation, which heavily influences Ferrari’s product development, does not necessitate full electric for many years yet. I suspect the move to full EV, especially for a brand like Ferrari is so far away that other tech like hydrogen could come on stream before EV properly matures. Will EV ever dominate? I have strong reservations about that.

of2worlds and Elisesko like this.
  23. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Take a look at Rimac Automobili. They exploded onto the scene, with two cars that show what the future will be for electric Super/Hyper cars. Porsche has a 10% stake in them. And there is a reason why Lamborghini ink teamed up with MIT to create the Terzo Millenio Concept, an electric sports car for the supposed third millennium.

Solid State likes this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m not sure that has happened so far. Take 360CS v something like a 308. The latter has an F1 gearbox with much more modern but now totally outdated tech, including launch control, traction control etc. It looks more like today’s cars than it does yesterday’s. But it is an icon and will always be desirable. LaF has similar tech to SF90 and will not become less iconic than an Enzo or an F50.

Although EV tech is basically simple I do agree with the last part of your second paragraph. And a good example from history of your last paragraph is Dino v Daytona. Both are wonderful and iconic, from the same era but very different price range. Dino is possibly not more revered than the Daytona but it could be close and some no doubt would rather own a Dino.

gt_lusso and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Sounds like marketing to me. Will cars even need tyres let alone electric in 1,000 years?