2019 Canadian: Pre-Race News | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2019 Canadian: Pre-Race News

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sooner or later these hybrids will bring that engine technology to road cars:

Already some of the turbos are gaining Motor units to spin up the turbo for lower latency.
    Turn those motor units into generators and absorb excess turbo RPMs and turn it into electrical power.
    Take the electrical power out of the Turbos and apply it directly to the crankshafts.
    Presto, an engine with more TQ basically for free.

The only things astronomical about the current engines are those associated with making the motors weight next to nothing and still deal with 160-200 HP of heat. Make the motors 25 pounds instead of 3-4 and those problems and the expenses go away.

The BIG HP small displacement motors of today would not be possible without the turbocharger technology being developed.

The other thing is that the current F1 motors are delivering 1000 HP +/- on the same amounts of fuel that the V10s could only make 600 HP on. So there are substantial fuel economy gains to be had using this kind of technology--and road cars want this (at least the governments of countries want this).

BESIDES:: if ICE motor technology does not keep developing, they will get eaten by electrical power in NO TIME.

william and lorenzobandini like this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The illusion that the F1 technology has relevance to road cars was a bone to the politics of the countries hosting the races...chumming for support from left wing ecco forces who wanted to have the governments pull all support from motorsports. Social relevancy became the mantra...just as did "cost savings." If it had been left up to the teams, we never would have had hybrids just based on the costs. We would still be seeing different teams trying different types of engines...turbo and NA. And I think the teams would have begun exploring longer engine life on their own...as their own search for cost savings.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Reverse relevancy. The hybrid notion was put into mass production by Toyota in 1997 with the Prius.

It just doesn't get any more exciting than this, folks.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    :D:D

Bas likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

True, motor racing has been slow to adopt hybrid technology, and has probably waited too long before doing so.
    But I am quite sure the technology has benefited enormously from F1 input in the last few years.

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I just bought F1 2018 on Steam for $15. I'm willing to give Codemasters another try at that price. I'm pretty certain the video game will be more entertaining than the real thing.

daytona355 and furoni like this.
  7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Is Williams getting ready to dump Kubica? Lafiti is taking his seat in FP1 this weekend, and Kubica has be struggling to match his team mates times. Russell even beat two other teams in the Monaco race. What could be Kubica's problem...he was doing better in the Renaults before he even signed with Williams. Is he choking and being too cautious?

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A car/ team not suiting his style??

9. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    The Williams is terrible and who knows if they are fielding two equally prepared cars (they most certainly were not in the opening rounds.)
    Robert was ahead of Russell in Monaco until he was spun around by Gio. Latifi is no doubt paying big money for the practices sessions...

375+ likes this.
  10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  11. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Wolff with his usual crap that Ferrari will be a threat. He knows it and we know it, the only real threat to Mercedes is Max. When Honda gets more power then Wolff will be looking over his shoulder for real.

daytona355, stavura, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  12. DF1

Good read on the tires and affects on teams!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143878/why-canada-could-resolve-2019-tyre-confusion

The Canadian Grand Prix could produce some key answers about the role downforce is playing in Pirelli's Formula 1 tyres' "confusing" performance this year, reckons Williams engineering chief Dave Robson.

A number of teams, including Ferrari and Haas, have struggled to get Pirelli's 2019 tyres into the right operating window, and there is a growing belief that higher downforce levels are needed to help put more energy through the tyres - an area Ferrari is looking a

Robson said this weekend's Canadian GP should throw some more light on the situation because teams traditionally trim off downforce to minimise drag for the Montreal circuit's long straights.

"I think there is definitely the case that downforce and drag don't always do what downforce and drag should do in simple terms, because of the interaction with the tyres," said Robson.

"People would normally think about taking downforce off for Canada. But if you cannot get the tyres working then maybe they won't work as much as normal, so that will be an interesting data point."

Pirelli reduced the tread of its tyres by 0.4mm for 2019 to eradicate overheating and blistering issues that teams and drivers did not like last season.

But one of the consequences of that change is that it has moved the operating window for the tyres to a higher temperature band, which has changed the approach teams need.

Renault's Daniel Ricciardo said: "It hasn't been that straightforward.

"I think even [in] most qualifyings this year, I don't want to say we are not confident but I don't think we are ever really 100% sure about what we need to do on the outlap and [know], 'This is where the tyres will be'.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"There hasn't really been a trend so far to really be 100% with it.

"There is still a bit to learn there for sure, and in a way that is nice because there are places you can improve in that area."

Robson agreed that teams have had to relearn a lot about the tyres this year, because how they behave changes so much on different tracks and surfaces.

"We find it appears different compound to compound, track to track," he explained.

"And I think it was interesting listening [in Monaco] to all the other teams' radios, because even by the second run in Q3, a lot of the drivers were still unsure what to do.

"And we see exactly the same as that. It is confusing, challenging - but it is all part of the sport.

"Getting the front tyres hot, that is the main problem - it is very difficult.

"Then you get this problem of you want one thing on Saturday for that one lap and Sunday you want something different, and you cannot change anything other than the way the driver drives.

"It is frustrating. But it is the same for everybody, so it is [a] case of making the most out of it."

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Funnily enough last year when a certain team complained about the tyres, Pirelli moved water and earth to get some tyres they fancied....

Slim chance of that happening now, I suppose.

Farcical.

daytona355, dflett, stavura and 2 others like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    laughable isn't it?

daytona355 and stavura like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Get Assetto Corsa instead and spend 5 bucks on the RSS 2019 car...so much more dynamic.

I assume you have a wheel.

daytona355 and kandi like this.
  16. DF1

If conspiracies were in place, they would set up Williams to win and raise interest in the sport. It would be a waste on a known big budget team lol :)

Bas likes this.
  17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Isobel, DF1 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Lol this clown again!!
    Only a fool would believe a word that comes out of this man's mouth!

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  19. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    World Class Facilities!

daytona355 likes this.
  20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    And do you expect him to say: "We are Mercedes. We will crush the opposition and your soul. Don't bother showing up."

william likes this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    No, because that would be the truth, and Mercedes' soul is possessed. :)

stavura, daytona355 and DF1 like this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Absolutely right..... more fake news ******** from Wolff and co, trying to inject some excitement into the dullest season of f1 yet..... as if suddenly ferrari will win, just because of a few long straights and fast corners....., yeah, I believe you toto, anyone see that flying pig go past? Could’ve sworn I saw it

If he wanted to go the whole hog, he and Mercedes could perpetuate the ******** even more by turning their engines down and just going through the motions this weekend, letting max duke it out with the Ferrari’s, and allowing another team to win a race. Let’s face it, they could afford to do it a couple times a season and still not risk a single thing where the championships are concerned given their mechanical dominance at present.

I’m not even sure I can be bothered to watch the race, let alone practice and qualifying. It’s so sad that since I was a youngster, I have devoured every bit of f1 coverage I could, at the expense of holidays, work, even crumpet at times, and yet nowadays, I sit in the same room as the tv, barely looking up, and have no real ‘investment’ in the racing. I would no longer consider going to a GP even if paid to go. I was invited by Ferrari to the paddock at Silverstone again this year and to be honest, I can’t deal with the embarrassment of watching the red cars fail again. I’ll wait till we are in a position to at least genuinely challenge, assuming it happens in my admittedly limited lifetime

Isobel, stavura and 375+ like this.