Carrera GT | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Bas, NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  2. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Dan Neil's review of the Carrera GT in 2004.

Los Angeles Times

July 21, 2004 - Toronto

The cop, a full-metal-jacketed member of the Ontario Provincial Police, walked up to the car, pushed his cap back and said, "New toy?"

Well, yes and no, Officer Neckfat. The Carrera GT, Porsche's half-million-dollar sports car, a 605-horsepower linear-mass accelerator capable of more than 200 mph, is certainly new. The car is just now going into full production in Leipzig, Germany -- hand assembled at a rate of two per day -- and so far only about 50 have been delivered to North American customers, mostly juice-intensive celebs like Jerry Seinfeld and Tim Allen.

Toy? Oh, yeah. The car is the quintessence of uselessness. The car is perfect agony to drive in close-quarter traffic thanks to its stall-happy ceramic clutch. My wallet has more trunk space than the nose cone of this mid-engine monster. In terms of appropriateness, driving the newest, greatest Porsche hyper-car on the street is like deer hunting with ICBMs.

On the track, however, the Carrera GT sheds its sense of overgrown absurdity and becomes what it is: a sumptuously upholstered race car, a carbon-fiber lightning bolt hurled from Zuffenhausen at History itself.

There is nothing false, shallow or toy-like in the way the Carrera GT drives. This car is no gimmick, no vainglorious attempt to keep up with the Enzos. It is serious. Adult-strength. For mature audiences only. Double-black-diamond with an avalanche advisory. If you are not entirely respectful of the car's power, it will hurt you.

This is a good thing.

At a time when, as sports car purists see it, the company's cars grow less and less pure, with their multiple layers of traction, stability and brake controls, adaptive suspensions, speed-sensitive steering and cozening comforts like navigation systems and automatic transmissions; at a time when Porsche's bestselling vehicle is, in fact, a truck (the Cayenne SUV); at a time when there is talk of Porsche building a four-door saloon like the Maserati Quattroporte, the final apostasy to the Porsche faithful, the Carrera GT redeems the company's reputation as the maker of great sports cars for accomplished drivers.

The Carrera GT is uncompromised and uncompromising. The first impression one gets behind the wheel is one of off-the-scale, black-hole density, a gravitas that feels rooted in the Earth's iron core. This is the sort of vibration-free platform they build giant telescopes on.

Instead of a paddle-shifted, clutchless gearbox, like those in the Ferrari Enzo or Lamborghini Murcielago, the Carrera GT has a conventional six-speed manual transmission with steel rod linkages between its wood-knob shifter and the transaxle. This is velocity, old school. Unlike the Ford GT, the Carrera GT uses a pushrod suspension. This space-saving design, common in race cars, uses linkages connected to a rocker-arm pivot to redirect vertical wheel movements to laterally mounted spring-and-damper units. Three-way adjustable anti-roll bars spider across the front and rear of the chassis.

Rather than sacrifice a scintilla of handling sharpness to comfort, the double-wishbone suspension pieces are connected to the carbon-fiber chassis (the tub) with solid-steel joints, without any elastic bushings that might otherwise soften the ride. The car's ride quality is nonetheless unusually good, while the handling is mercilessly sensitive and accurate. There is zero free play in the power-assisted steering. The Carrera GT is the kind of car you drive with your fingertips so that you avoid putting the slightest pressure on the wheel as you brace yourself.

It goes where you point it, so be careful where you point it.

The reactor core is an all-alloy, naturally aspirated V10 (no superchargers or turbochargers) displacing 5.7 liters and breathing through 4-valve-per cylinder heads with variable-intake timing. The engine is a dry-sump unit (there is no oil pan beneath the engine), meaning that the engine's weight can be situated lower in the car, for a lower center of gravity. The engine oil reservoir is cast inside the alloy transaxle unit. To place the engine's weight (472 pounds) lower still, the Carrera GT uses a tiny ceramic clutch assembly, a mere 6.5 inches in diameter. The distance from the crank center to the bottom of the car is only 3.9 inches.

What does all that mean? For one thing, it means that the car has enormous dynamic stability and virtually no body roll. The Michelin Pilot Sport 2s wrapped around ultra-light cast magnesium wheels might as well be made by the Elmer's glue company. And when the car does begin to slide, you can just hold it out on the feathery edges of adhesion because the car is so effortlessly neutral and reactive. The hardest thing about the Carrera GT is to trust that this big car -- bigger than a Corvette -- will stay planted at cornering loads over 1 g. But it does.

One of the unique features of the Carrera GT is the powertrain frame that wraps around the engine and transaxle, a carbon-fiber cat's cradle bolted to the tub firewall. Woven of iridescent fibers and infused with glassy resins, it's a Faberge egg of car technology. Every place you look on this car harbors some glorious bit of engineering detailing. The hub-wrench fitting used to take off the center-lock wheel nuts is a gorgeous piece of precision milling autographed by the craftsman. This is one cool car.

It is also rather sporty. It will accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds, according to Car and Driver, and cover the quarter-mile in 11.2 seconds, with a trap speed of 132 mph. That last number is telling: This car doesn't find its prodigious stride until it gets over 100 mph. From 0 to 100 mph takes a mere 6.8 seconds.

At speeds above 75 mph, the car deploys its rear spoiler to help create road-holding down force. At 186 mph the car is subjected to 880 pounds of down force, most of that generated from the ground-effects underbody and spoiler, but even the suspension arms are shaped like inverted wings to extract precious pounds of down force.

During my short stint in the car at Canada's Mosport racetrack, the Carrera GT didn't strike me as harrowingly fast. For one thing, you can't do anything sudden or violent in this car. In slow-speed corners, you can breathe off the throttle slightly to generate some extra rotation and then squeeze the power. But you can't toss it or punch it. And so the car has this serene inevitability to it, and the laps just surrender to it.

The Carrera GT also stops handily too, thanks to its four enormous, cross-drilled carbon-ceramic disc brakes. The car's excellent anti-lock system allows you to stand on the brakes as you approach the corner. The car feels like it'***** some sort of braking-zone force field.

I wish that I could report some heroic law-scoffing in the Carrera GT, a speeding ticket worthy of campfire tales in future years. But no. I got pulled over for 120 in an 80. That's kilometers per hour. I'll do the math for you: it's about 74 mph in a 50 mph zone.

I explained that, considering the car I was driving, I had shown inhuman restraint. He wasn't impressed and kept on writing.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Serious machinery. A great image from an owner in our Carrera GT Owners group on Facebook, now up to about 40 private owners after only 10 days.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer, NürScud, cgt000 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer, titangolf, cgt000 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

This is the garage in Malibu in which I believe the above car lives, note this picture was taken under previous property ownership (obviously the last guy had great taste, as well):

Boomhauer, Finlander, Pawilly and 5 others like this.
  6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That property was on the season ending episode of Million Dollar Listing. All a guy needs, one bedroom, one bath and a big garage.

tomc and plastique999 like this.
  7. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Despite that, the previous owner had a proper house on the Malibu beach as well.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

A very early build (single-digits) Guards Red example which belongs to a contact of ours in the UK. Driven very regularly, with 13,000 miles currently!

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey likes this.
  10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh I'm sure he did/does. Among other great properties as well.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I understand many are not on FB, but it can be worth it to set up an account under a non-revealing name to join. Many of the groups & activities previously confined to forums are now taking place on FB (and IG for that matter), and I think that will only increase going forward.

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey likes this.
  15. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    E_Man and cgt000 like this.
  16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#616 Sterling Sackey, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    The Italians have had great shapes of their own, many that may eclipse this car in traditional beauty, but the Carrera GT will always stand out as unique & fresh rather than being another traditional supercar shape.

I also feel that the Carrera GT design, while overall fairly simple, was a much more memorable design than the Porsche supercars before or after it, and took real inspiration from iconic Porsches in history.

For me, the instantly-recognizable flat rear deck of a Carrera GT harkens back to cars like the 550 Spyder, 718 RSK, and even some of the later Bergspyder hill climb cars. I can't think of another modern supercar with a rear end that takes such a low-profile shape.

NürScud, Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud and Boomhauer like this.
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

21. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Anyone know if there's any truth to the story that in the past Zonda owners who had CGT's as well could send their CGT to Pagani for some modifications to exhaust suspension and clutch actuation? From what I've heard once "setup" by Pagani the CGT drives very differently and is much more approachable at the limit.

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

It's quite possible, as I recall there are pictures of Horacio's car which show non-original suspension springs & dampers.

23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

A nice detailing guide as it applies to the CGT:

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Anyone want a project Carrera GT? Currently up for auction by Brazil's government. Illegally imported some years ago and tried to play off as a brand new car still in production to bypass Brazil import laws (not allowed to import a used car until 30 years old iirc). http://www25.receita.fazenda.gov.br/sle-sociedade/portal/edital/130100/3/2019/lote/5

It had a salvage title issued by California, supposedly repaired, and then exported. Hasn't been run since. I inquired about bid registration and it's too much work. You need a Brazil tax ID, which you can get as a non-Brazilian citizen but requires more paperwork and usually assistance of an attorney. Then the issue of shipping and getting a title for it. The current owner will likely try to claim it in US court if it makes it back here as they have delayed the auction this many years...and still have the titles in hand iirc. Would make as a good parts car or for the brave a track car to abuse if it can run.

It's VIN is WP0CA29815L001386.

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Stay away. Stay faaaar far away.

rmolke85 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.