FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2019: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS *** | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2019: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    What is a lawyer at the bottom of the river?

A good beginning.

Igor Ound, Nortonious and crinoid like this.
  2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That is not the point. What they keep doing is making a complete mess of things and screwing both drivers' races. If, for example, they are running 2nd and 3rd and the driver in 3rd catches the one in 2nd then don't let them fight for ten laps ruining both their tyres but get them to swap places and, if later in the race, the other guy is faster and closing then swap them again. The Championship is long gone so at least try to run the team properly to at least get the best possible result. I don't believe there is a single race this season where, allowing for the pace of the car, they've scored as many points as they should have.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Interesting...

There have been murmurings of discontent among some teams this year about the difficulty of getting the tyres into the right working temperature window, following the introduction of a thinner tread depth this year to combat overheating. And on Saturday Red Bull’s Helmut Marko gave an interview to Italy’s Gazzetta in which he complained: “Mercedes has a huge advantage at the moment thanks to this stupid change on tyres. There are nine teams that struggle and only one that benefits.” Marko alleged - inaccurately - that the request for the tyre change came from Mercedes and said “that’s the way to ruin the sport”.

Actually, the thinner tyres were approved by all teams following the post-season Abu Dhabi tyre test in 2018, and were also run at three races last year - one of which, Silverstone, Ferrari dominated. Pirelli says there has been no official request or talks of any kind on the matter. The rules dictate that any tyre-specification change requires agreement of at least 70% of the teams. Pirelli add that if this was achieved - and that’s a big if - they “would of course consider it”, but that any process would also have to involve the FIA.

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Where’s this from ??

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The Pirelli **** is about to hit the fan. And Marko is extremely good at throwing ****.

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mercs turned their engines down per Toto from AMuS.

Strolls failed Spec 2 engine is being shipped to England for inspection.

375+ and TheMayor like this.
  7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    BBC, Andrew Benson.

crinoid likes this.
  8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    From a cursory look at quali, it seems Leclerc's car does well on mediums, but Seb's and Ham's cars do better on softs.

But they're all three starting on mediums.

So how many places will Charles lose when he gets balked at turn 1? ;)

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This does surprise me. Mercedes is playing chess while Ferrari is still playing checkers.

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I would hope that Vettel beats Leclerc especially since he's been doing this so much longer and especially at this track which is tricky to learn.

Leclerc had been close all weekend, let's see what happens tomorrow. If Seb is the better man so be it.

11. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I find it hard to understand how can eliminating 0,4 mm from the tire thread( yes 0,4 mm thats about your average printer paper thickness) can have such an impact on the F1 race car performance.....

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    0.4mm equals 0.016in, much greater than a piece of paper

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    YES!!!!!! GO VETTEL!!!!!!
    I’ll take every little glimmer of hope I can at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Evolved likes this.
  14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    OK . . . The first time qualys are on ESPNU, which I don't have . . . . Ferrari comes through. Figures.

Evolved likes this.
  15. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Congrats to Vettel , fantastic lap and well deserved pole . Let’s hope no brain fade from SF in the race tomorrow, they are looking good

16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Damn fine lap by Seb. Toto did not have a happy look on his face afterwards. Good.

jcurry likes this.
  17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice lap by Vettel. Time for the first win of the season. This will be close and possibly exciting. Good weather and a tight start and Turn 1!! A good race potential.

18. DF1

Charles was robbed of a win. Not Vettel. He would have been first. Yes mistakes but the speed is there. Vettel provided today, what HE should be providing each weekend and does not the last 2 years.

Im happy to see him up front but he needs to be significantly more consistent under pressure when it matters.

He needs a flawless race tomorrow and stay cool early on!!

Manda racing likes this.
  19. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Took a break from surfing in Costa Rica to watch....damn fine result even in Español. Looking forward to mañana, more than recent memory.

Any Tifosi in Tamarindo / Playa Grande ??

Local Channel 322 FoxSports3 has lots of motorsports.

I'd love to Seb atop the podium, but any Red Car will do.

20. DF1

Ricci qualy driver of the day for me!

stavura, WilyB, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    He really drove that car well. Was good to see.

DF1 likes this.
  22. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I'll play devil's advocate and say Mad Max beats one of the Ferraris. Surely past Daniel Ric by lap 6.

Bas likes this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree he needs to get his head straight and get rid of the mistakes.

However, the past few months have been full of people saying the team needs to back Leclerc fullly and let Vettel be support...whereas from as far as I can see, both drivers have been significantly faster than each other on one occasion each, and for the rest I think Vettel has a small margin so far.

stavura and DF1 like this.
  24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very jealous, enjoy your Surf break!

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    @TheMayor

Correction

AMuS - Toto Wolff said Mercedes will not turn down the power of its new engines after one of the Phase 2 engines blew up at Lance Stroll and also brought the MGU-K to run.

The power unit will be flown back to England for inspection. A first suspicion was directed to a problem with the installation. The engine had been removed and reinstalled for check after the first day of practice.

paulchua likes this.