458 Italia or F8 Tribute | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Italia or F8 Tribute

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by erosmwn34, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I truly believe the 458 Italia offers the most bang for the buck of any car available on the market today.

RayJohns, Graz, ScottS and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s actually not as straight-forward as I would like. For me throttle response is one of the things that highly influences my enjoyment of a car, both on- and off-throttle response - so the Speciale should have this comparison easily sorted for me. Indeed the Speciale has been the best and favourite car I ever owned, partly because it was my first new Ferrari - I bought it with my wife to celebrate a special occasion, we ordered it in the Atelier, did a factory pick-up and have been all over Europe in it - Venice to UK, around the Le Mans track, Isle of Man TT course, Mille Miglia and so many other things. I can’t sell it.

The 488 Spider I can sell and will sell because I have a Pista Spider coming. But I have also done some great trips in the 488 and since it is a spider and a better all-round sports car than the Speciale, the best way I can answer the question is that whenever I decide to use the 488 on a trip I never miss the Speciale. The 488s blend of abilities provide something different to the Speciale and both can exist quite easily in my garage together. If it had to be one car, the Speciale can hit heights the 488 can’t so for that alone I would choose it. But I would be paying for that privilege for 95% of the time when the 488 is just as good or better. If others chose the 488 as a ‘one car garage’ I certainly wouldn’t think to call such a person crazy for making that choice.

488 has less road noise (people who say they love ‘raw’ is one thing, but in my view road noise is never nice or ‘inspiring’) has greater mid-range torque, so valuable in road driving, more power - what’s not to like about that? - and 90% of the handling excitement and throttle response. The Speciale looks nicer, has razor-sharp throttle responses, revs to 9k sounding pretty good while doing so (although the sound quality difference between the 488 and 458 is a little overblown IMV, the 458s sound great but not ‘out-of-the-park’ like a Ferrari V12) and has a more aggressive gearchange programme. The 488 spider sounds plenty good enough and certainly very engaging with its pops and bangs everywhere. You might say it’s a manufactured sound but let’s be honest, they have all been manufactured exhaust sounds for years so nobody need be sanctimonious about it.

bretty2901 likes this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Had the opportunity to get a 458 but declined and took a 488 GTB.
    Number one reason as with the F8 Tributo this rear V8 range since the 308 had side scoops. The 458 departed from that. IMO it took away the look of the rear engine Ferrari look.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    RACE almost hits $151 today.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    458 and watch it rise in price. Probably best time to buy one.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's if you're looking for an investment rather than for a car - if looking for a car different factors may be considered. Personnally I think the lack of power of the 458 is a major drawback, and if I had to buy another car (than the 488 or F8) as a pure investment I'd probably go for a 355 or testarossa (prices have gone down again to potentially reasonable levels for these).

7. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Right now suggest the 458 is the better choice.

Why?

Because it's a great car and the most unique compared to the ongoing procession of turbo V8's Ferrari is rolling out. Furthermore the 458 costs half or less than these newer models - that lets you drive the car for 3 - 5 years or longer at very modest cost.

Once you're ready for something new in the future ALL of these turbo variants will be available on the market at 30 - 50% discounts. THEN you can get an F8 or whatever and drive again at much reduced cost.

The only thing you lose is the ability to spec your own car. I've specced multiple new Ferrari's and from experience I can tell you it's NOT worth the premium. That's especially true now with Ferrari's increasingly insane pricing on options - "Taylor Made" my ass!

Just IMO of course .....

8. Pinab7

Pinab7 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Veranth
    #58 Pinab7, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Actually I think the lack of inlets and the beautiful rear haunches are part of the magic of the 458. You have to look at the car lines in total and it is beautiful. Even the shape from directly overhead is a balanced work of art.

cole328 and Graz like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you should try the 488 Spider as well. The gap between the 488 GTB and 488 Spider is much closer than the gap between the 458 Italia and 458 Spider.
    Where the 458 Spider got a softer suspension than the Italia to work with the more flexible drop top, the 488 Spider is actually stiff enough to work with the 488 GTB suspension.
    I have not been in the 488 GTB, but I have experience with both the 458 Italia and Spider. I'd say that even with the top down, the 488 Spider feels more solid and planted than the 458 Italia. With the top up, the 488 Spider feels solid as a rock.
    I think Luckylikey describes it very well, and I definitely think too many discard the 488/F8 way too soon based purely on the sound.
    It's different, but the 488 engine is a marvellous powerplant, and it just have so many fun nuances going for it.
    At this point, there's also the ability to add exhaust systems to suit your taste. A 488 with a Novitec exhaust is a pretty spine tingling thing for sure, not to mention the breath taking sound of the Pista, which I could imagine could also be found in the F8 I'm sure.

Lucky is completely right in his statement that if you truly like to drive, the chassis and engine in the 488 is worth it.

There is more to Ferrari ownership than n/a v8's and Pininfarina badges. ;)

WestCoasta likes this.
  10. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Im 99% in the sound over power camp... But Im always looking for an exhaust that closes the 458/488 sound gap. Id have to agree....the novitec is the best so far. It does sound amazing it still just shifts too soon to complete the song. 488/Novitec still ****$ on a Mclarens sound

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    that does sound pretty good but still taking 458 or huracan for sound

plastique999 and WestCoasta like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's a really great sound when you hear it live. In some ways it reminds me of a straight piped 355 and 360CS which is a very good thing. It's quite loud, and it's a very full bodied and natural sound. I find that some of those high pitched "F1" 458 exhausts, especially the IPE, has a very artificial sound. Yes it's high pitched and loud, but I think it's way too thin, smooth and monotome. Unlike an uncorked F355 or 360CS, it's not a full and raw high pitched roar. It's just a loud and high pitched sound so to speak. And with a few of those F1 exhausts, it's even more odd that you have this strange high pitch note, while you can clearly hear the stock sound beneath.
    All in all, I think that the 458 sound is a very "shaped" sound, and not really a natural and raw racey sound.
    That's what I really like about the 488. I think the sound is a lot more "real", and Novitec has simply enhanced that quite a lot.
    Just my take on things :)

Baitschev likes this.
  13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Did you ever had a 458?

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I used to be interested in stereo equipment as a teen and treble was always more important to me than the bass. turbos seem to be more about the bass while na is more treble. that's why I like 458 and huracan sound over turbos

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Then you may consider a two-stroke engine rather than a four-stroke V8 :D

Napoli likes this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Exactly the opposite.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No, but driven them on multipel occasions. What does that have to do with anything? I have well over 1000 miles behind the wheel of 458's on both road and track.
    Why do you seem so upset with the fact that I don't think the 458 sound is the best thing since sliced bread? I don't mind that you like the sound. I simply say that I prefer something else, based on personal experience and taste.
    Don't take such differences in opinion personal. It's a forum for owners and enthusiasts. We debate and discuss out mutual interests, likes and dislikes. I'm not here to fight you, so I'd prefer to keep things friendly.

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    not surprising. what would shock me is if everyone liked the same exhaust sound. my wife can hear an original gto and ask why don't they fix their muffler, it sounds awful.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Not to mention the nearly ONE HUNDRED MORE HP in the 488...

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    THIS^. I too already had a 488 so added a 2018 GT3 Manual to the collection. Currently, the Huracan EVO has my interest to complete the trio...

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    That's a Race Exhaust System, cat delete. Anyone ever hear of U.S. Federal Emissions Standards? Anyone live in a state with emissions testing? 33 of 50 near as I can tell. (please correct me if wrong).
    Just saying that 'cat delete' sound is not practical for many. Yes I know that 'sport' cats are available.

RayJohns likes this.
  22. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    I live in California....they dont care about that kind of stuff

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    California doesn't care about automobile emissions? That's crazy talk!
    Really don't understand why required emissions testing isn't nationwide. Well, some states still burn coal, sooo....

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    As of today, up $184K. Hopefully will cover the cost of the F8 when it is delivered.

25. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    so heres a 458 tuned plus bolt on parts beating a 488.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BygYxZyAQMy/
    So 100HP more means nothing here, unless your willing to tune your 488 too for "more power" then game over ....definitely not for the faint hearted purist. So for those that need more power you can get if by tuning or go supercharger, go turbos, but can't beat the sound of NA. I'll admit I really wouldn't mind a F8 tho or even a 488 (especially since they are dropping like crazy)but because of the power and they are latest and greatest, I do love the way they look more than the 458 actually .....a better cars for sure. But I need sound as its just too important for my driving needs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByQC82CAuzp/
    all you hear are the tires on this 488

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnLgwtgg1Ns/
    probably has exhaust so its not fair.

the novitec on the 488 does sound good for what it is probably the best setup for the 488 so far.

plastique999 likes this.