360 Challenge ABS error on track | FerrariChat

360 Challenge ABS error on track

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by PFez81, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hi all, long time forum lurker, first time poster so please be nice! I run a 2001 360 challenge race car here in Australia and have been enjoying it immensely. So much better than any road car I have tracked previously. However, last outing I had an issue with the brakes and particularly the ABS. Coming into a hard breaking zone and applying the brakes as per usual I had a big lock up and slid off the track into the gravel. I popped both front tyres, so obviously my ABS didn’t work. Once I got the car back on the tarmac the dash was displaying “ABS ER” or something to that effect. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have been told it could be a faulty sensor on one wheel maybe? But would that cause the whole system not to operate? Shouldn’t I get some sort of warning prior to using the brakes maybe? Also, I spun the car 360 earlier in the day and I have been told that can sometimes effect the ABS operation as it needs recalibration. Appreciate any help that can be provided, thanks

2. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Have you changed the tyre size? You need to flick the ASR on and off a few times to reset the front/rear speeds as you pull away at low speed.

Some say do figure of eights around a car park but ASR works for me.

3. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hi Stevecomp, we haven't changed the tyre size, I was able to clear the fault the first time by just switching off and then on again and then rolling forward. Are you saying that flicking the ASR on/off will hard reset the ABS? Once I had cleared the fault we changed tyres and went out again and the same fault occurred and brief lockup however I was quick enough to release the brakes and just slowly run off the track so only a small tyre flat spot. I have heard about the figure eights also. I'm interested to find out why the error occurred in the first place as I am concerned it will happen again and obviously I'll be burning through flat spot tyres. I was gong to try and get the error to trigger again and then bring to the mechanic to plug in and have a look at.

4. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If the tyre sizes have changed the ASR on off re calibrates wheel speed from and rear, if you don’t do that it can effect the ABS. Didn’t you say you changed the wheels first time?

I run R rated Advan and slicks also being a road registered rally car and the tyre sizes change the ASR trick works for me.

When are you out next?

5. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hi Stevecomp, no we only changed the tyres after the first ABS error due to the skid and resulting puncture. The error happened out of the blue which made me think that it was because of the earlier spin that messed with the ABS.

6. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So prior to that you hadn’t had the wheels off and the car was fine then?

7. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    That's correct. prior to the first ABS error and skid off we hadn't changed tyres or done anything to the car other than taken it off the trailer and done a couple of sessions. We did spin the car 360 degrees though on track in our first session so could that cause a glitch in the ABS maybe?

8. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve

Maybe, they can get sensitive if something happens like a spin. One other thing to note don’t ever go down the box to fast it will go into limp mode and a re-boot of the ecu will be needed that’s pull over and turn off the isolator and turn on again, the race is over by then.

360c have a few idiosyncrasies that can trip you up but once you know and understand them they are very reliable and forgiving cars to drive great fun.

9. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Thanks, what do you mean when you say "don't go down the box too fast"?

10. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don’t grab a handful going hard under brakes if you change down to fast the TCU spits and goes in limp mode

11. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Thanks Stevecomp, I will keep that info in mind about the gear change. Looks like I will have to get the car into the mechanic to take a closer look at this ABS issue.

12. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Can you post some pictures of the new livery mate.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I did that once locked all 4 blasted off the track. Same thing happened to a fellow vette racer in one of the support races for LBGP about 10 years back hit the wall. Do some research on ice mode and ABS systems. Everyone suffers vettes anything. Some cars suffer more than others like early caymans. Uneven pavement and lightswitching the brakes mess up the ABS brain and we see locking and spinning off tracks. You may have broke differently this one time in the wrong spot on track and caused it to lock and go off track. A small change in brake pedal application cures the problem 100%.

14. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    It is highly likely you have a bad wheel bearing/abs sensor. Do you have a SD2 to read the code? Where are you located?

15. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hi, located in Adelaide South Australia. My mechanic has the SD2 reader and I’m bringing the car to him next week. I watched my go pro footage of the day and realized that the abs error triggered some 4 corners before the tyres Locked up. The abs error first shows on the dash mid corner without brakes applied so something strange happening. Do you have experience with ABS errors UAS?

16. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    Yes. We have run all challenge cars for the last 10 yrs, and seen all types of abs errors. The SD2 will tell you all you need..should narrow it down to one of the wheels. First thing to check is the plugs for all 4 wheel sensors...if all good, you can spin each wheel and see the reading on sd2 to confirm they each are reading.

Also- has the car sat for a long time? If so, make sure there is no milky residue in the brake fluid in the master cylinder..that will cause all types of havoc as well.

- Pete

17. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Thanks UAS, will the SD2 still detect the error even though the error has now been cleared? I guess the mechanic can always just check each wheel sensor until he finds the culprit

18. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Also, I think all fluids were changed before we purchased the car and we have taken the car out once before with no ABS errors

19. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    If error has been cleared, he will
    Have to test each wheel bearing that it is reading. Should be easy once u spin each tire.

20. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Thanks. What are the chances that all sensors testing ok and the problem reoccurs? In your experience has it always been a sensor that has caused ABS failures?

21. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    9 out of 10 is wheel bearing/speed sensor...but anything is possible. Gonna be a little harder to find since u cleared error..but a good mechanic with sd2 can find it

22. PFez81

PFez81 Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Thanks UAS, hopefully it’s a sensor and can be fixed easily

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I can now recalibrate the abs asr function from within the ignition ecus. If anyone needs this pm me. Also I can upgrade TBs and AFMs to CS spec using calibration data. And if requested do a complete immobilizer delete among other things. Search in 360 Road car section for Swiss Army Knife for more information