FCA Concorso part of San Marino Motor Classic this June | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FCA Concorso part of San Marino Motor Classic this June

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TrojanFan, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I regularly attend both the San Marino Motor Classic at Lacy Park and the FCA event on Colorado Blvd. (Both are local to me, with Lacy Park being only a couple of blocks from my house.) I was hoping this year's mash-up would come close to being a true combination of the two separate events, but the FCA component fell short. But maybe this is due to the fact that this was the first year for this arrangement?

I also have to agree with Carl about the display arrangement. It was haphazard and sloppy with cars bunched too closely together.

2. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A friend recommended that I join FCA. I went to the San Marino concours, saw plenty of Ferraris, but I found no clue as to whether there was an FCA presence. (Admittedly, I didn't ask around that much.) Having the cars on the grass was nice, though.

3. JRM1961

JRM1961 Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jeffery R. Maynard
    There was a open-sided tent with FCA on it manned by members all day long to answer questions it was along the front row of Ferrari's, sorry you missed that. I've only been a member for a few months but have loved it, the club is very active with many fun events and everyone is very friendly.

4. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

Go back to Colorado Blvd. in April...

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Hell no! This setting was great. It just needs a little bit of Ironing out of some minor issues.
    Colorado Blvd was a Blacktop event.
    San Marino (Lacy Park) was elegant.

koisokok likes this.
  6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Agree. We are looking into some of the issues from the past event to make next year better. There will be an evaluation on which location is preferable and at the moment returning to Lacy is leading about 5 to 1.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is also the difference between having a two separate event with two separate dates and having two car shows on a same day/date.

8. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Colorado Blvd for me

PVEferrari likes this.
  9. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have been to the Colorado event probably 6 or 7 times and went to the San Mario one this year. I think I prefer Colorado for a few reasons:
    - Free (I paid $70 for my gf and I for the San Marino show. I know I could have bought them for $50 ahead of time but wasn’t sure I would make it until the day before)
    - if it’s hot out like it was this year, Colorado has shade along the sidewalks and easy to pop into a store for some A/C
    - Plenty of restaurants (vs food trucks - there were quite a few, but lines were long and slow)
    - Seems like a lot more cars at the Colorado event
    - Parking is easier at lots near Colorado, instead of having to drive around residential neighborhoods and hope to get lucky

Having said all of that, I did enjoy the grassy setting and the variety of other makes/models. I think the biggest issue for me was the heat and that’s pretty hard to fix.

PVEferrari and miketuason like this.
  10. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I also like the Colorado event’s location’s many offerings & it’s openness to the public; vs a “closed isolated” event.

PVEferrari likes this.
  11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I just prefer a cooler time of year to sit outside for the day.

Outside all day you need stuff to keep you occupied, I could see all the cars in an hour or so then rest of the day is spent trying to amuse myself.

Colorado had many many things to do

These were the 2 reasons I did not attend

PVEferrari likes this.
  12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wife like Colorado because she can shop, eat, and enjoy the car show at the same time, and yes, more cooler place to sit.

PVEferrari likes this.
  13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Guys:

I am sharing the comments (without names) with the powers that will decide Pasadena or Lacy Park for next year so keep them coming. Please let us know the good and the bad and your location preference. If you have displayed at Pasadena in the past and did not display at Lacy Park, we would especially like to know why. The goal is to improve the show at either location.

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

You can use my name Im easy :)

In all seriousnesslysky, if thats a werd.

Lacy park is like camping without beer or nakedness

Colorado BLVD is like a luxury hotel

Thats with high average temperatures in June for Pasadena I just made other plans.

:)

15. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Is Colorado Ave even an option? Rumor has it that they could not make it work in the city budget. If that is the case how likely is it they would ressureect the event?

16. PVEferrari

Let's do some comparisons:
    How many sponsors at Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?
    How many tifosi who didn't bring a Ferrari but went to Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?
    How many spectators at Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?
    How many classic, rare Ferraris at Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?
    The overall energy level of Tifosi at Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?
    What was the temperature at Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?
    Places to eat or things to do at Lacy Park vs Colorado Blvd?

The winner = Colorado Blvd
    I rest my case...;-)

miketuason and SoCal1 like this.
  17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Wife said if not Colorado blvd. next year she'll not coming back. End of story.

PVEferrari and SoCal1 like this.
  18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Maybe father's day in Beverly hills would like a ferrari corral

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #44 ag512bbi, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    I know everyone likes Free.
    Free universities, Free health care & free car shows. But all that brings the riff raff also. This Lacy Park was more of an elegant setting.
    The Tifosi? You think half those people at Colorado Blvd were Tifosi? It's a FREE event, they just show up. Ha!
    I rest my case.

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s like 100% more people comes to Colorado to enjoy our cars/show Tifosi or not.I agree with PVEferrari, it’s has more advantages to be at Colorado. The only advantage San Marino has over Colorado is, they have more variety of cars to see.

PVEferrari likes this.
  21. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Everyone has their own opinions. There is no right or wrong. I'm the Pebble Beach/Palm Beach Breakers type guy who enjoys the beautiful scenery. I feel like I am at an event. Lacy park has a similar feel with the cleaner environment/setting and real car guys showing up. You pay more, and get more. Most of your Ferraris showed up and ALOT more at Lacy. I just wish there were more classic Ferraris.
    Colorado to me just seemed like a parking lot of cars, trash on the floors and a BUNCH of looky loos walking by.
    Actually i'm not even a fan of the Rodeo Dr. event.

22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the comments. I'm passing them on. If you post another, it would be helpful if you can note if you displayed a car or were there as a spectator only.

Right now I believe that all options are on the table - Returning to Pasadena, Lacy Park or another venue. Regardless of the location, a LOT of work goes into planning the event as well as financial risk and obligations for FCA.

23. PVEferrari

I entered my car at Pasadena for nine years, five years to be displayed and four years to be judged.
    Then, entered to be judged at Lacy Park this month.

I personally had more fun overall at Pasadena over the years than at Lacy Park.

Cheers!

miketuason likes this.
  24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    A place to park trailers safely would be great so I can bring a few cars in to play