488 - Price Expectation | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Price Expectation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ++1. A combination of several factors including more cars produced, more options from more different manufacturers to choose from, the significant price increase going from 488 to F8 and Huracan to Huracan Evo, and the fact that the changes going to the new model are evolutionary and not revolutionary. I imagine some prospective buyers are worried about economic correction/recession and are waiting on the sidelines.

When I specced my 458 Spider, lightly used ones were going over MSRP and when I traded in after a couple years I got 87% of MSRP which didn't even include the excise tax savings. I think those days are long gone.

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Curious to hear how it works for you. Hopefully favorable.
    Are you consigning in advance of delivery?
    I’ve considered doing that w my 488 but then I’ll be Ferrari-free for a period. I already know the trade in value will be an eye-rolling insult but such is the nature of the game.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have no control over it so I do t really worry about it. If it costs me an extra 20k it is what it is.

The dealer has the car and it’s well priced and they are selling cars so I hope for the best.

If I get a bad price I get a bad price.

LVP488 and MANDALAY like this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes- car is at dealer for consignment. My Pista just went into production so for the next few months I “only” have my 720 to play with. :)

tekaefixe, MANDALAY and C50 like this.
  5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    It’s a good problem to have:)
    You must be getting fired up, knowing it’s in production
    Hell, I haven’t even submitted my spec
    I need to live vicariously through you all for a bit longer…

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    We will go through the journey together. Here is a photoshop of my spec- TDF Blue with yellow stripes and accents. Interior is dark blue Alcantara with yellow stripes.

I’m definitely excited and the wait would be worse but I just got word that my Patek that I ordered 18
    Months ago is arriving this week. Will keep my busy for the time being. :)

gzachary, clockem, IloveGT and 3 others like this.
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Niiiice
    That’s a beaut of a spec
    She’ll look stellar in the Az sun
    I saw in the patek thread you had an incoming
    Looking forward to all the pics
    Enjoy in good health

SoCal to az likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    out of curiosity will your dealers take your car as a trade in instead of offering it as consignment ?

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think so. Haven’t asked. Have 4 months or so to sell so I figured just turn it in early and get it sold so I don’t have to deal with it.

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Ty sir!! Yes. Patek incoming. Ordered it at Baselworld last year!!! Impossible to get. I’m the second customer at my dealer to get one. He hasn’t had one all year.

bobbyd, sampelligrino and C50 like this.
  11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When you spec your Pista ? Mine went in Jan 4 and I’m still waiting ...

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    About 2 months ago...order has been accepted by factory. Just don’t know if it’s june July or August build.

13. R37047

R37047 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I want to thank everyone for all the great feedback to a new buyer! however still on that coupe vs spider fence.....and would love to hear thoughts about my potential purchase of white 488 Coupe with Black roof and red interior. The contrast I simply find appealing but the car has been sitting for a while like many others and has me worried about depreciation, but hell you only live once...

14. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    "It is better to live rich than to die rich"
    - - Samuel Johnson

15. victor430

victor430 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Douglas John Price
    Thanks for the advice . I will try that on my 488 and see if it helps the airflow into the cabin

16. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

The 488 will fall, that’s a certainty, perhaps even plummet - if the global economic predictions come home to roost.

Just drive the damned thing and enjoy it, because it won’t go up again for a very very long time if ever!

All cars are depreciating assets, unless their special or limited supply- then it’s not money in the bank until you find someone with the desire or the means to buy, witness all the super high end/once upon a time hard to get cars that either sit in dealers not selling or take up space on the internet - i’m afraid car in my experience have been an expensive mistress.

bobbyd likes this.
  17. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary

SoCal, I have ordered TDF with silver strip. Mine just went green 10. Based on tracking my other Ferrari’s it’s about 6 months from green 10 before it will arrive at my dealer in the US. Race is on who’s arrives first! Great spec.

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Not only are they not selling, but dealers have reduced initial advertised price by as much as $60K without a sale. Never seen that before.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    To ameliorate depreciation, trading in a car with the dealer from whom you purchased it towards a new model is the route to follow. On every trade with my Lamborghini dealer, the loss was minimal. The reason is simple: since a new car is being purchased where the dealer is making full mark up, the need to profit on the trade in is minimized. Conversely, trading in a McLaren for a Ferrari, for example, will result on a bigger loss on the former since the Ferrari dealer simply sells the car to the McLaren dealer whose offered price is low since they want to make as much on the resale as possible. The lesson is sticking to the same brand when trading in will result in lowering the loss.

In jurisdictions where there is no tax advantage to trade in, a private sale, although fraught with frustrations and hassle, might be the more financially advantageous route to follow.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congrats!! My car had been 10 green for a while and just a week or two ago went 10 Red. I anticipate production slot in September and delivery by end of the year. Congrats on your spec. The wait is going to be brutal! :)

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

This is true for the most part. I would also say using independents who carry multiple marques can be a good solution but you will be buying preowned.

22. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    What is a reasonable amount to pay over sticker for a new 2020 Pista with delivery miles ( classic spec ) to insure not getting killed on depreciation if kept for a year or two ?

23. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ps. Mine is for sale...........:D;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Considering dealers arent writing checks for them id say sticker but that doesnt mean you have no downside.

sampelligrino and Elisesko like this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    one thing to consider- if you can do Montana LLC - the money you save on tax would likely be what the buyers premium is. Just not sure you can actually buy it that way.