What to look for... 430? | FerrariChat

What to look for... 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Chadwicks88, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chadwicks88

Chadwicks88 Rookie

Jun 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    New to the forum. Wanted a Ferrari all my life & finally ready to pull the trigger. 430 seems like a good entry level price. Any red flags I should be aware of on used market? Also what’s everyone’s thoughts on the 430? I want the 458 due to the dual clutch but I want to dip in the entry level 430 price right around 100k

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Right now your best bet is to spend some time looking thro all the regular similar threads already here about buying a 430 and then comeback with any unanswered queries

Good luck with the search

whatheheck likes this.
  3. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I would check to see if it has the stock exhaust manifolds. Those will eventually crack and need to be replaced. Motor mounts, brakes clutch, variation, & pump problems. Pretty bullet proof car overall. If you need to know anything else just pm me. Also may be putting mine up for sale if your a fan of Rossa corsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Lots of threads already on this so search is always your friend.

Here you go, here's one, please see my post here.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-f430-specific-pre-purchase-inspection-checklist.568312/

Hope that helps.

Dan

f355spider likes this.
  5. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    whatheheck and f355spider like this.
  6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And you might also go to YouTube and search for normal guy supercar. Another Dan has many videos on his 430.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fred Daniali likes this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks. Very kind of you.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Lots of articles on what to look for on a 430 Regardless PPI is a MUST.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Wear in suspension ball joints is common, as is wear in track rod and tie rod ends, exhaust manifold leaks.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    430's are great cars! Standing the test of time very well and delivering a great Ferrari experience!!

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just be careful pressing the loud pedal as it may scare the life out of you when it gets its second wind

13. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Firstly welcome to the forum.

From the 2008 updates many of the issues were sorted including better F1 shifting, mk11 headers etc. In my experience having owned one for 5 years it was a good reliable and very enjoyable car in some ways emotionally better than a 458 and a great first Ferrari.

Overall the 458 is a better car and I wouldn’t go back as the car is superior in all departments, but the cost difference for a good car is significant and the 430 really does give you 90% of the experience at a good first Ferrari entry point.

I certainly enjoyed mine and I’m richer for the experience.

Good luck in your search.

whatheheck and Dicecal like this.
  14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have an early 2005 car, was actually looking to avoid the early cars..but found the perfect one for me. These cars are pretty sound, expect for the know issues- mostly the exhaust manifolds. If you have complete maintenance records I would not worry too much about a PPI, if no records then insist on one.

15. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I have a 2009, it’s a blast. I’ve put a tad over 1000 miles on it, in the last 3 months. Get the car checkout , get a good Indy mechanic, and drive the **** out of it and enjoy life, it’ll always put a smile on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Depending on where you are located, this may or may not be possible. But if you can, go to as many dealerships as possible to just go look at the cars. Bring a flashlight and look in all the nooks and crannies of the engine bay, the cockpit, wheel wells, and underneath the car. You're probably not going to buy any of these cars, but you will start to appreciate what a clean car looks like and you'll get some idea of what a tired car looks like. Ask if you can test drive it so you can start to get some idea of what the F1 transmission feels like, so if one feels like it's slow to shift you'll know it. It doesn't take long to figure out what a fair price is for the car.