Electric A/C install on my 328 | FerrariChat

Electric A/C install on my 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tony Andrews, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    So I have made the decision that I want to stay cold in my 328 in the summers of Florida. i like driving with the top off which makes for quite the challenge of staying cool. Having done my home work I have decided that a fully electric system will do the job. I started to look at all the benefits and figured I might as well be the first one to do this. I have looked every where and have NOT found another 328 who has turned the inside of their car into Antarctica.
    I will be installing the 12V DC HB075Z12 Compressor with controller A/C Car Hot-Rod Solar 2890BTUs R134aill NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH the 12V DC JFSB116Z12 Compressor with controller A/C Car Hot-Rod Solar 6120btu R134a system, at a cost of $599. Yea I know a bit over priced but in order to make sure the invert-er matches perfectly to the compressor needs I paid a little more for the package. The reasoning behind using the smaller btu out put is because of amp draw being 26 amps vs 55 amps. I figured it is only a small cabin and why draw what you do not need. I am hoping that 2890 btu will do the job. Well I will order it tomorrow. I will leave in the original York compressor only disconnected.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been watching the threads on 3x8 A/C and think changing the compressor won't solve much. The problem appears to be volume of air through the condenser, not compressor capacity. If you increase the compressor capacity and don't increase the air moving through the condenser, you'll end up creating an ice block in the condenser and your A/C will fail.

Increasing the throughput of the airbox or even adding additional vents on the left and right side might be a much more viable solution. Has anyone thought of 3D printing up hoses and such to allow for more air movement?

3. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    thorn likes this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As others have pointed out, changing the compressor, assuming the one you have is working properly, will not help. Evaporator air flow is the limitation, not the compressor. York compressors, like the ones in US 3x8s were adequate to cool US cars that a 3x8 could fit inside! ;)

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As noted, the evaporator air flow is the limitation, not the compressor. The same York compressor in US 3x8s easily cooled US cars that a 3x8 could fit inside!

Dave, it will be interesting to hear how the new Spall works. Is it physically larger than the OEM or does it fit in place without mods?

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    There's not a lot of room for bigger fans. On my (RHD) QV, there is 7mm between the fan shroud and the inner guard

7. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    You have to modify a plate. I will not modify the case. I quess I will find out this week if it fits. I'm going by what other Ferarichater's have done. There lots of threads on here about it. It is a litter bigger. It feels like it moves more air when I connect them both to12 volts. The fan is around a $100.00 and up plus how ever you mount it. The first picture is a hole a/c kit sold here in Dallas. You can see the adapter plate they use for it. Next picture is a little different plate. The 3rd picture no plate at all. I have pm him about how he attached it. I'm thinking he may have put some small plate inside the evaporator box. Off the work I go now. Tonight I will take a picture of both fans side by side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Crowndog likes this.
  8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I too converted compressors. Good advantage they are less power consuming and smaller.
    There are two conversion adapters for these swaps. The flat plate which requires the use of the belt tensioner bearing and the curved adjustable mount. Easier to mount and adjust tension with no need for the tensioner bearing: example below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Could you supply the name of that Dallas company. I’ve been thinking about upgrading the blowers as well and was curious about mounting those bigger spal squirrel cage fans. Any info on the mounting plates would also be appreciated. Thanks.

10. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    https://www.classicautoair.com/contact-us/

I just got back from taking my plans and blower motor to have a aluminum plate made. Will have it back by the end of the week they said. I will let you Know when I get it back. Having my plate made to fit inside the box or outside the box if my drawings are correct. The A45 motor can be bought ebay and other sources. They would not sell me just the plate or mounting bracket. Would sell every thing inside or the whole kit.

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ah yes familiar with those folks. Would be very interested in obtaining a copy of your plate plans if it works out. I will PM you so we can take this discussion off the forum.

12. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    I think for the most part you are right... In my consideration factored the car as my daily driver. Having said that I felt one less belt running all the time for the a/c ( I live in Florida) and I can hook up the a/c to a solar panel for car shows. Also the amount of work to get that compressor changed would be more than what I am about to do. Thank you for the thought.

13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  14. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
  15. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Aus_yz and Crowndog like this.
  16. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    I am going all electric with inverter and electric compressor. Not having the belt of the compressor even on the engine is a huge benefit to start. With the compressor converted to electric and relocated under the front there is no chance of compressor belt breaking or compressor clutch issues etc. I can be ice cold with the engine off. Thanks for the cool layout of the replacement a/c old school.

Crowndog likes this.
  17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #17 mike996, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Just curious - you mention an inverter but the ad posted shows it to be available as 12VDC so why an inverter?

Also, do you know how many watts the compressor draws (or the volts/amps)? I'm wondering if the Ferrari's elec system (charging circuit, etc) can adequately supply power since it was not originally designed for that.

If the compressor really is an AC compressor (needs an inverter), then figure that a really good inverter is around 90% efficient so you will lose a bit more capacity electrical-wise.

18. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Good questions... your answers all revolve around the amps. The inverter/controler will keep the amps where they need to be and constant. This compressor draw 26 amps at 12VDC. In this case the inverter can supply ac current if wanted but it has all the controllers in it to connect to the compressor and to direct wire into your car a/c switches. Probably should have called it the controller as it does offer ac conversion but its primary function is to integrate into existing a/c wiring system and provide stable power.

19. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    You are correct in that the air flow sucks.... however on the 328 there is direct airflow into the condenser on right front and i have added a fan to the back.

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm really interested in how you mount the new Spall fans into the evaporator... my ac works good but the volume of air is not great ... AND I HATE the noise the fan makes ... its really loud in the cabin.

21. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Look at the pictures above. These are examples of how other ferraichater mounted there"s. I will get my adapter plate back this week, I will let you know how it goes. It's not a exact fit. Fitting onto the evaporator box is not my concern. Its how well it will fit back under the dash because its a little bigger and how much more air does it really blow.

22. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    I bought an aftermarket fan with the proper dimensions and it works great. Plus it draws less on the electric than the old one did.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    How hard was it to install? I think that it the critical part for my car - if you can blow more air it would be cooler...

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I think the concept of an electric compressor is great. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. I don't know the power output of the OEM 328 alternator but adding another 26 amps of power draw is a fair bit. Most car alternators are rated at from 100 to 300 A; I'd guess that the 328 alternator is on the low end of that since there is very little auxiliary electrical equipment in the car but that's just a guess.

In any case, as I said, I think the CONCEPT of the electric drive is really neat and if the OEM alternator is not quite up to the task at low/idle RPM I would imagine a higher output alternator could be fitted. Hopefully the stock alternator will be fine; let us know how the project proceeds! :)

25. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> I would imagine a higher output alternator could be fitted.

Or... an auxiliary alternator fitted to where the A/C compressor was mounted.