Ferrari 458/488 Paint to Sample Option & Custom Special Order Interiors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458/488 Paint to Sample Option & Custom Special Order Interiors

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Z356, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I like interesting and different colors myself and having just gone through this with my most recent order, it seems that Ferrari makes it difficult to piece this all together unless you are going to do Atelier or Tailor Made. Dealer samples rarely have the full spectrum and I got lots of misinformation initially about what colors cost what. There are also a lot of extra camp options that are very cool and a proper thread showing these can spark ideas for others. For example, the engine stripe on the Pista is standard in Red but for only $845, you can have it done in yellow. Not everyone knows this. I tried to get the factory to paint it white to match my interior with white leather stripes and was denied (maybe due to potential for discoloration?) they did approve blue deviated stitch on that leather and a few minor details. Car has not been built yet but will post pics when it’s done.

I have seen some examples of seats with piping or extra gap materials but don’t know what that’s called, how to order or what it costs. I know we are not supposed to care about the costs but when the choices are 50k, 100k, or $150k more in options, I want to know that as I am speccing the car. It’s not hard to spec a used 458 worth of options on a Pista. I think this thread could be very valuable if we keep it on topic.

Bundy and tomc like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What do you mean engine stripe?? Obviously on the engine but I don’t recall a stripe. My Pista spec has yellow accents so when you say engine stripe can be in yellow, you have my attention.

3. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Interesting thread. I wonder - as I'm sure it happens when someone's car shows up and is not correct? I ordered a steering wheel from Lamborghini Ad Personam after delivery. I waited months and it showed up and was wrong. They had a pic of the wheel and my VIN to match the correct trim and still got it wrong. Although they did get the red stitching correct. I made a joke saying the next one will show up with the correct trim and the wrong color stitching - lol. Still waiting.

4. kepler

kepler Rookie

Jun 30, 2015
    I second Jamie's post. Eduardo has been very helpful to many P-car owners over the years. Despite the rocky start of this thread, I'm sure you'll find he'll be a valued contributor here.

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've already been shot down by Eduardo once here already for trying to help as well as being called illiterate but let me repeat myself. One of the best resources for filling in many of the gaps here is our local Arizona dealer.

Because they are in Italy so often, they have access to recently released paint samples and codes. They see how and where dreamlines on the body, interior, and engine can be used.

Tailor Made has over 300 paint chips available plus many more custom colors. Here is a sample -

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rynoshark, Bundy and jm2 like this.
  6. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    I don't understand the thread. If it is general knowledge on current and historical paint and finish options, that would apply to all Ferraris. Certainly not specific to a soon to be non-current production sub category of vehicles. We need to have one of these clutter up any vehicle category that op decides is the next garage addition?

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Honestly I don't either. But I'll try to play along here and assume the OP simply wants to catalog all current paint colors available. He should have used the search button first as he would see these threads already exists -

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/exterior-paint-colors-for-488-gtb.526292/#post-144773828

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/color-choice-which-blue.525670/#post-144759263

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/triple-layer-paint-pictures.330305/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-paint-color-paint-code-is-this.583855/#post-146180184

Bundy and Elisesko like this.
  8. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Oh yeah. Search function. That could work. All the other model owners/owners-to-be could use the search function to find this informational gold mine. Or Non Model Specific General Discussion would save it's relevance into the future.

9. Z356

Z356 Rookie

Mar 8, 2017
    Clutter? Just ignore the thread if it has no interest for you.
    Are you suggesting that someone like you should decide
    for me & all of us what we are allowed to discuss on this
    forum?
    I am interested in the 458/488 market thus I hope to analyze
    the subject of 'Extra Range' exteriors & interior options for these
    models. That is my prerogative. And the conversations on this
    thread, and hopefully the knowledge base that will come from it,
    could very well apply to the F8 Tributo. I don't see why you want
    to stop the discussion.

Fine. But because you don't understand it or approve of it,
    should it be deleted or withdrawn? Below you will see that
    some members of this forum are willing to give the thread
    a chance. And also to bring out more information on a
    topic that might be of great interest to them!

And sometimes the new information presented might be of
    assistance to a reader who was already pretty well informed
    on the subject matter & studied well all the options!

Please stop being such a drama queen. It seems like I am
    currently living rent-free in your head! I didn't call you an illiterate.
    I simply suggested that you should have read in full my initial
    post before telling me what I should do! You were totally off
    the mark!

Here is what I posted about the general purpose of my thread:

Yet always your principal response is 'Go talk to Scottsdale Ferrari'.
    I am not suggesting that you get a commission from them for your
    referrals..but are you? Just musing. And kidding of course!

;)

Clearly you don't understand it and I suggest you give up &
    perhaps ignore the thread. This harangue is getting old. And
    please don't 'assume' anything as to what you think I 'want'
    from this thread. You keep digging yourself deeper into a hole!
    So I suggest you stop digging.

Frankly this was a useful photo. Thank you. And I have nothing
    against tapping the resources of an experienced Ferrari dealer to
    fill-in gaps in our knowledge base about 'Extra Range' exteriors &
    interiors.

What I am trying to tell you is that for you or me to gather all of this
    information & keep it private to ourselves is OK. But it doesn't help
    readers of this forum that might NOT have access to knowledgeable
    dealers on the topic of 'Extra Range' options.

So if you have more photos and information you have gathered
    about Atelier, Tailor Made or anything else related to 'Extra Range'
    options, I encourage you to post that information here on FerrariChat.
    You can do it on this thread or start another of your own. Making this
    information available to the enthusiast community that reads our forum
    would be very useful.

Jamie. Thank you for your post. And I do look forward to the
    'tiny reset'. But unfortunately there are some here that have
    no intention to letting it go.

Saludos,
    Eduardo
    Scottsdale

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice. Is the pic at the dealer in AZ or the mothership in Italy?
    T

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That has to be Italy. Local dealership doesn’t have all those samples.

tomc likes this.
  12. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Sorry, I meant on the engine manifold. Here is a pic of the stripe in red and a pic in yellow
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's a less effective use of the yellow stripe though in general, I like this green car

Attached Files:

Bundy, tomc and SoCal to az like this.
  13. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Note the rings around buttons can be different colors. Above in green, here in yellow, and of course tri-colore but that is on the configurator (and according to some, causes a significant delay in the car).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Correct. That is the old Tailor Made showroom in Maranello. Looking through my photos of the new Tailor Made showroom but think I only have the new Atelier showroom.

tomc and SoCal to az like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Already ordered the rings in green. Had no clue about the engine. Will check to see if I can change. Might be too late. Thank you for costing me
    More money. Lol. Seriously much appreciated.

johnr265 likes this.
  16. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Oh I get it. It's about views. Gl

17. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    OK I will go out on a limb here and say that I too think this is a great thread. I too am a Porsche owner, looking to move into the F world hopefully with a new F8. Last time I chatted with Eduardo, he provided great information for me on signal yellow, a historic Porsche color. Because as SoCal above points out, Porsche is so screwed up with its allotment and PTS process, I have just kept my carmine red P car and am looking to Ferrari. There are so many really cool colors with Ferrari, many more than with Porsche, and they are seem more accessible provided you have the dough. I am particularly interested in the deep reds, R Fiorano, Mugello etc. There could be a whole sub thread on Ferrari reds. Someone started a good thread recently on these darker reds in the 812/GT car section. I'd like to hear more about Ferrari's triple layer paints. What is unique about the process and expense? Looking forward to some great information here.

Jim

ScottS likes this.
  18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You know Eduardo, you're off to a great start here. Keep up the petty digs.

technom3 likes this.
  19. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    tomc likes this.
  20. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Don't have the answer but agree it can be confusing. I looked extensively at the reds. Rosso Fiorano is a a historic color (I can confirm 13,500, at least on the Pista, Eduardo), almost a ruby red but it really doesn't have the depth that most triple layers have. Rosso Maranello, a triple layer and thus 28k) has this liquidy, silver spherules in the paint and it creates an amazing reflection of the light that is unique among any of the triple layers that I have seen. Rosso Fuoco looks to me more like a high quality, modern metallic so what I can't understand (aside from desireability of it being a gorgeous red) is what makes it 28k while Abu Dhabi Blu (an absolutely stunning, Jewel-like metallic with amazing depth and variation of color) and Grigio Titanio (again, a stunningly deep and variable metallic) free of added charge.

96redLT4 likes this.
  21. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #46 Challenge64, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    No idea what PTS is...

Ferrari has an in house paint shop (that used to be part of the factory tour) and they use the Carrozzeria Zanasi - Zanasi Group S.r.l. for Extra Campionario colors. Their website is https://www.zanasigroup.com and Marco Zanasi is on Instagram. Zanasi and their paint process and application is pretty different than what the factory does for the standard colors as seen in several online photos. Zanasi does the three and four layer paints. Pictures if I can find them..

Here is what a UK user wrote about the process. Not too sure how correct it is -

Ferrari sub out all "extra campionaro" colours like Bianco Fuji to Carrozzeria Zanasi who are in the industrial estate beside the Fiorano circuit. To paint a 3 layer pearl like Bianco Fuji the car gets a base priming coat which is flatted down, a top colour coat which is flatted and a laquer coat which is flatted. Another top coat is then sprayed in a different direction which is then flatted, laquered and flatted again. A final top colour coat is sprayed in yet another different direction then a final top coat of laquer is applied. It's the three layers being laid in different directions that gives the paint it's depth and pearlescent effect.

It's labour intensive which helps explain part of the cost but the margin Ferrari add will be pretty substantial

ScottS, MANDALAY, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  22. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Z356 banned until 6/17 for a personal attack.

technom3 likes this.
  23. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Really? Appears to be the good ol' boys club at work.

24. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It is too bad if this thread cannot go on because great responses like posts #45 and 46 above from johnr265 and Challenge64 provide information that really helps a newby like me to be able to get the car of his dreams. The info provided in posts like these will truly help to get a bespoke car. Pictures are even better!
    Its kind of a bummer that a few acerbic quips from alpha males that tend to dominate chatrooms like Rennlist and FChat can derail what is otherwise a great conversation.

J

25. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Alpha male only as a keyboard warrior - not in real life.