How cold is your A/C? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How cold is your A/C?

Discussion in '308/328' started by rocket50, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My 328 A/C works fine as long as the car has been in the garage (or heavy shade) beforehand. It will cool indefinitely, regardless of the outside temperature. But if I leave it parked outside in the sun even 20 minutes or so, it will never cool as well after that, no matter how long I let it run.

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So what is the purpose of the directing vents?

Lester

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    When you think that a 1971 Chrysler Imperial with a York compressor can cool the car/freeze you out under any conditions, it almost makes you think that Ferrari intentionally did all they could to cobble an inadequate system ;)

Designer: We need to figure out how, with such a small cabin, how to make an air conditioning system that can't cool the car.
    Engineer: I don't think there's any way to do that, the compressor we have can cool cars with four or five times the interior space
    Designer: How about if we restrict the evaporator blower by using a small motor and inadequate vents?
    Engineer: Hmm, that might work especially if we restrict the AC output to just one of the three windshield vents and use just two small vents below the radio slot. We could make sure they can't direct air where it most needs to go.
    Designer: That sounds good for a start; is there anything else that can be done?
    Engineer: Hmmm...we could use 20 gauge wire instead of 14 for the motor. That should create enough voltage drop to further reduce efficiency.
    Designer: PERFECT! You guys are the best! I think this will be one of the worst AC systems available on any car!

Saabguy, JCR, dflett and 1 other person like this.
  4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    That was the exact behavior of my 308 (before it crapped out completely). It could maintain a cool cabin but it could not cool a hot cabin.

Regards
    David

5. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    If anybody would like a plate made. I already paid for the setup. All you have to do is pay for aluminum and the cut out.

ferrariowner and thorn like this.
  6. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Does the plate include the directing bits?? And does it fit inside of the stock box and allows fitment of the bigger blower?

And how much will it be?

7. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    The aluminum plate fits inside the box or outside. I put it inside, out of sight and not to make the whole unit with the new blower motor any bigger than you have to. It fit on my 85 qv euro. I don't know about any other car but I think it will fit on most 308's maybe 328's also. It is a tight fit going back into the car. Its a tight fit not making any modifications to the evaporator unit. The blower motor is a little bigger. But blows a lot more air. It bolts on differently than the original blower motor. One reason for the plate and to give the hole box more strength. The hardest part for me was getting the top hose installed back in. 2 people will make it a lot easyier. The plate and cutting it was $50.00. It is a modification. I can't guarantee anything. If you are handy and work on your own car you can make it work. There's lots of pictures of other Ferrarichater's installing a plate like this to look at.You will need to buy some nuts and bolts to install the new blower motor. I used stainless steel.

8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    For $50 I'm in . I would send a PM but I can't figure out how. And also the ordering info for the larger blower.

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I am interested. Can you post a copy of the drawings? Or are you selling them?

Thanks,

10. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I'm at a car show in Colorado right now. I can have the plate made for you for $50.00. I will be back in dallasThe blower motor can be bought on ebay for $100.00 and up Spal a45

11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Dave,
    Let me know when you return. I am in the Dallas area as well.

Ron

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    AC has probably been the single biggest expense for me except for majors. The AC works good as any modern car up to 80 degrees, but by 85-90 with sun out if feels worthless in that greenhouse. belts always breaking and freon always low with leaks.

13. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Just back to the hotel from seeing Mark Claytons restoration shop. Restorecars.com Very very big shop up in the hills of Castle Rock, Colorado. Very clean and well organized shop. Unbelievable work. I will be back in Dallas on the 27th. Just need to know how many I need to have made. It took 3 days last time to have them made. I see we need 2 at this time. Saabguy I don't know what you mean by directing bits? I'm not selling a kit just the adapter plate with the holes in it to hold the new blower motor on and strengthen the evaporator box. Trying to help other Ferrarichater's out like many of you have helped me. The only other things you should need is nuts and bolts, a little black silicone, new foam to go around the evaporator and the new blower motor. The evaporator box should be the same as my 85qv euro. You may have to make some of the holes in the plate a little bigger to fit the blower motor. The hardest part is getting the evaporator box back in. Its not hard putting the box back togetter just very time consuming.

14. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    On ebay right now eBay item number:
    spal 008-A45-02 $69.00 free shipping I took the 3 speed switch off of the blower motor.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #65 mike996, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    I would like to order one of the plates as well! How do I (we) send you money?

I see that the blower listed on eBay is a "Spal-Type," which, coupled with the price, indicates it's an inexpensive (probably Chinese) copy. Is that the specific blower you purchased? I've seen actual Spals for around double that price. Whether there is any real difference, I have no idea...;)

16. Rahsiame

Rahsiame Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I have an ‘88 328GTS, just been on a 2500km road trip through France and Spain, the aircon is miserable! Just had mine re-gassed and serviced but it really is awful.
    My she boss complained most of the journey so I am using this excuse to add another car to my garage for warm days

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rocket50 likes this.
  17. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Sorry I did not realize it was not a true Spal blower. I got the real SPAL blower motor. Don't get the knock off. When I get back to Dallas I will get them made. I think we can use pay pal for payment.

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I have an ‘88 328GTS, just been on a 2500km road trip through France and Spain, the aircon is miserable!"

Well, at least it's a comfort to know your 328 AC is functioning normally! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As I have posted previously, I managed to get my 328's AC to function to a level I'd call "marginally fair" but that's the best I can say about it with all OEM components using propane-based refrigerant. Using 134, which the PO converted from R12 :( it never rose above "almost useless." TBH, it actually works OK on cloudy days at any outside temp and hot sunny days IF the sun is not shining directly on the windscreen or on me from the side. I drove it from Maryland to Texas last year - about 1600 miles in two days and it was comfortable the entire trip. OH...maybe the fact that it occurred in October had something to do with it! :) I did a 2700 mile trip in three days from Nevada to Maryland in August some years before with the AC as per when I bought the car (R134) and it was, as you described, miserable the whole way.

Rahsiame likes this.
  19. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    There are some vanes above where the plate is, thats what I'm talking about.

20. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #70 Saabguy, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    So did you find a comparable part from Spal USA? I found this information:

Spal USA

Item Weight5 pounds

Product Dimensions 5.1 x 12.4 x 4.5 inches

Manufacturer Part Number30000463

Lester

21. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Re the above comment, seller says that this is the correct replacement.

Lester

22. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Shame you're not in TX now - I could enlist your help in getting mine above "almost useless" - I have an invoice from where the PO recharged the system with R134A, but I have no invoice for the conversion (if it was ever done) :(

23. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
  24. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Those vents should be in your evaporator box already.

25. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Got it.

And do you have measurements for the Spall fan? My Spal USA one is here. Do you want Paypal payment?