2021 F1 changes | Page 16 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Stop letting the top teams rule everything over fear.

Make the rules, push them through. Let Mercedes & co huff and puff, see who actually leaves. If one of them does so ****ing be it.

Simplify aero, to the point that employing an entire towns worth is gaining you nothing but large wage bills
    Simplify the engine based on the current unit without all the hybrid crap. Install 2 conventional turbos. Set materials, weight, dimensions and so on.
    Set a reasonable price per engine. Turbos are 5K a piece at worst so free use

There we go, cost reduced to the point small teams don't have to hope they can finish another season, likelyhood of a team gaining a huge advantage by simply employing thousands of people so they can work on several cars for different seasons at once is made much smaller. Mercedes, renault and Honda leave? A cosworth, Judd can build engines, supply teams without engines and make a bit of money from it. Problem solved.

Call a few big teams bluff. I know for a fact Red Bull won't leave. F1 will be a money making exercise for them. Ferrari won't leave. Same. Mercedes/Renault could perhaps. Honda could stop supplying and engine. Big deal. Others will replace them. A formula where there's actual racing and sustainability? Why not.

And in 5 years time we'll move to 3.5 liter V12s. NA.

Finlander, daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In your dreams perhaps !

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No manufacturers to please, so can do as we like.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Without manufacturers' interest, F1 would simply collapse to the benefit of FE where they queue up to enter.

Turning the manufacturers away would be like killing the goose that lay golden eggs.

Can't you see that the hybrid formula is a lifeline for the ICE in F1?

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    F1 survived plenty fine when there was only 1 manufacturer in it (ferrari, and no, they weren't winning then, either!).

Do you really, honestly, believe that people tune in to watch manufacturers? You have to be kidding! Why is no one watching Formula E then? They have plenty manufacturers and are mostly held in the off season....and it's free to watch. What's their excuse?

Finlander and daytona355 like this.
  6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Without manufacturers, F1 will return to amateur status in motor racing because there will be no money there.
    The best way to kill F1 is to piss off the manufacturers by reintroducting multi-cylinder atmo engines, because that's not marketable anymore.

FE is very badly presented during its infancy period when several technical problems had to be solved.
    But with the money that constructors pour in it, I expect huge progress within the last 5 years.,
    The time will come when different rules will allow faster cars with greater autonomy, etc ...
    FE will develop tremendously once it has access to permanent circuits instead of street racing, etc ...

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Manufacturers lobby the FIA to get the rules they want or threaten with leaving. This kills racing

What is so amateuristic about non-manufacturers racing for glory (and money)? In fact I think it will be by far better for F1 to get rid of the majority of manufacturers. The only one they can't afford to miss is Ferrari. As they'll be the benchmark, and WILL be challenged by clever teams such as Red Bull.

Who cares what FE does? Even if they have 5 billion viewers, it won't change my life. Let F1 be about racing. Simple as that.

rdefabri, daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1000

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #384 william, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

Well, you are entitled to your opinions, of course, and I can understand some of them, but I try to stay realistic in this.
    F1, like anything else around us, is following an evolution, and won't go back to what it was.
    It's inevitable, it's progress, even if we resist some of its aspects.
    F1 cannot live in a bubble, ignoring what's happening around, society changes, technological advancement, etc ...
    Your vision is to go back to the 60s and 70s, with small independent teams AND Ferrari running V10/12 atmo engines and putting aside all relevance to the automobile industry around that will have switched to different technologies.
    I don't think it will work. That won't attract investment, sponsors, etc ...
    With your system, I think F1 will shrink to be completely irrelevent, and just become an historic series.

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Look it’s simple. FE will continue to grow. F1 will continue to shrink. The tech and performance gaps between them will continue to converge. Eventually they will merge and that will be that. F1 will be re-born and FE will be forgotten.

Book mark this post and call me Mystic Meg when it happens... :)

Adrian Thompson, william and DF1 like this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The end of F1 as is, is well underway even without the Canada Vettel pram and toys day. The manufacturers are already moving on. Slowly but consistently.

william and subirg like this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It has been unanimously agreed to defer the final presentation of the Technical, Sporting & Financial regulations for for 2021 and beyond until the end of October 2019.

"While the F1 key stakeholders feel the core objectives outlined for the future set of regulations have been defined, in the interests of the sport it was agreed that the best outcome will be achieved by using the extra time for further refinement & additional consultation."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Aww, the stewards bias being revealed the way it was Sunday, they suddenly feel threatened that the racing world won’t be able to cope with them releasing blueprints of the 2021 reg changes that are set entirely to favour Mercedes again then? What a surprise, I heard everyone has to run an AMG badge on the nose in tribute to Mercedes allowing them to run their cars in Mercedes formula 1 hehehehehehehe

crinoid likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    F1 became irrelevant with the hybrid formula. It has become a one team, two car championship.

+1

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Di Grassi's POV

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    He is possibly missing the point about hybrid revolution. IMO its all about seeking the next quantum leap in car technology / engine design, it may actually be in its infancy. I suspect there is a lot more to come.

F1 for manufacturer's is cheap in comparison to huge R&D departments, they can enter a racing series and compete, get good publicity, advertising, training for young engineers, quick development of products, software etc etc. and more over globalise the brand.

I am surprised there are not more waiting to get in and push out the small teams.

F1 over the last decade has not been about the "fans", they are just a by product the manufacturers want glued to the TV sets

17. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    What happens to F1 when no auto manufacturer is building gas engines except for special applications?

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Exactly why the hybrid revolution is here to stay and why manufacturers push for this, the rules will change to suit the development. Havent a clue where that will end up, if I did I would patent the idea and make a fortune.

The epitaph of the internal combustion engine is being carved, my guess is the electric series will take over or F1 will take that concept over, that's what its there for

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    WEC to introduce a hydrogen class in 2024...fyi with already 5 manufacturers already interested.

Plus, there are hydrogen vehicles already plus prototypes that go further than these current hybrids due to the vehicles being lighter weight (no batteries).

Yes, there will be diesel trucks delivering the hydrogen to said stations....for the moment.

This whole hybrid in F1 (2014 to current) was an R&D "wishful thinking" testbed.

Let's see if F1 will change it's course to hydrogen hybrid.

375+ likes this.
  20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It could do just that, but when the hybrid's engines were discussed, it was the way to go, technology is changing fast, even the prototypes are out of date when completed. No point advancing technology if you don't have the engineers to follow it through, the whole sport is a test bed which is why you have no racing and over regulated.
    Best
    Tony

jgonzalesm6 and daytona355 like this.
  21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Who cares about manufacturers and their R&D?? I’d rather watch paint dry.

Open wheel was best when manufacturers didn’t have big influence - both F1 and Indycar.

375+, daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I feel ill, the world has slowed, and I’m seeing unicorns. I must be dying, I’m for the first time ever actually seeing something Elton says as a good idea. ........... help
    Me!!!!!

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Finlander, stavura and Bas like this.
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I also saw Todt asking sky pundit Nico Rosberg to join in the 'working group' to help shape the regs ....

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hummm, the manufacturers are actually the largest investors in F1.

Getting rid of them would be like throwing the baby with the bath water.

Who would replace them ? Without big investors, F1 would lose its importance and return to be just club racing.