electrical system failure parking sensors | FerrariChat

electrical system failure parking sensors

Discussion in '612/599' started by Motorama, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    When i start the car, 3/10 times it says electrical system failure showing the parking sensors symbol. The message immediately clears after startup. I'm not too sure about this but it might only be when I start the car in reverse.

Parking sensors always work but it's odd to have this message from time to time..

Anyone else who has had the same issue?

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't have the problem but I never leave the car in gear and always set the hand break. This goes back to when I first started driving, my first car was a manual 1952 MG TD. Always left the car in neutral as the cars then would crank in gear which could be a problem.

3. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Ok but afterall it's not a '52 car and even if it's better not to leave it in gear, it should not give any faillure message..

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The car definitely wants to be left in gear- it beeps at you 10 times upon shutting down if you don’t!

I doubt this is the issue though. There isn’t too much to the parking sensor system- you have a stand-alone box in the boot at the right hand side, and the 4 sensors themselves. You can check to see if the sensors are working by listening for them clicking. Go somewhere quiet and put ignition on and engage reverse. Then just put your ear really close to each sensor and you should be able to hear them clicking rapidly. Even better to use an automotive stethoscope if you have one.

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Come on it is a Ferrari, we all know the difference between a Ferrari and a Porsche. Ferraris look, sound, perform great but have glitches. While Porsches don't have the looks or sound but perform and are very reliable and pretty much glitchless. :D

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've had it happen, and it was a faulty parking sensor. I had to have it replaced.

I wouldn't park the vehicle in reverse, always leave it in 1st gear.

7. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hi Randy,

RE your statement "...Porsches don't have the looks or sound but perform and are very reliable and pretty much glitch-less...", unless that was a tongue-in-cheek comment, here's my 20 cents...;)

I've owned two Porsche Cayenne Turbos (an '04 model traded away @ 65k miles for an '06 Turbo S model which I owned for 10 years and given away @170k miles). They were the most expensive to own as compared to the many Benzes I've owned and so far my 599. The '04 had lots of electrical glitches and annoying tranny shifting issues, whereas the '06 experienced many repeat engine problems, torque tube replacement, etc., even though they were religiously serviced by Rusnak Porsche of Thousand Oaks; though it was helpful that I obtained their 7-year / 100k mile warranty at first to defray early out-of-pocket repair expenses.

To me, their looks were amazingly striking, especially when the Cayenne restarted the large open front grille design. Their driving dynamics were truly sportscar-like when the "Sport" button was activated and air suspension fully lowered, but like I said, expensive to maintain and repair.

An engineer, who was on my team, bought a used 996 (less than 35k miles) and regretted/sold it after a year when it also suffered from common 996 expensive repairs, eg, rear main seal leak and chain tensioner issues, etc.

So I suppose it's all relative...:rolleyes:

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #8 randkin, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Jose - Well don’t want to turn this into a Porsche thread but since 1968 I have owned 9 Porsches 5 911 (3 Turbos) style cars, 2 Cayennes & 2 Pano turbos. Only one with any maintenance issues was the 06 Cayenne S early gen 1 car (gen 1 Cayennes seemed to be problematic & both yours were gen 1 cars). Had a few MBs some had no issues and 2 with bocue issues. My 612 OTO is my first Fcar with no issues but it only has 10.5k miles. I also have Rusnak in TO doing the service 2008. I am going to go out on limb but I would say my 40 years experience will trump your few years and one model experience.

But after you have been on this forum and have read a large number of threads you may have a feeling for what may be expected from Fcars. I love my 612 but I have no expectation it will be anywhere near as reliable as what I have experienced in over 40 years of Porsche ownership:)

9. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Re the "electrical system failure" message that appeared during cold startup of my 599, I'd noticed it had only appeared when the engine start button on the steering wheel had been pushed prematurely or before the system had completed its initial "electronic check list" (including a 'health' check for status of front/rear sensors). The premature engine start probably interrupted the system check and that's why a failure message appeared.

After the system has completed its initial check, it will beep three times. Wait for the three beeps before pushing the red button to start your engine and will only start with the gear in "Neutral" position. Then wait for the TFT screen to display "Check OK" before putting the tranny in gear to move, especially during cold startups. This system review and start procedure for modern Ferraris also ensures that oil pressure has built up through the filter, lubricated vital engine parts and warmed up the oil sufficiently while the electronic system fully completes its check of 'health' sensors.

As a segue, that's somewhat not at all dissimilar from the regimented start procedure for older 50's and 60's Ferraris. There's a relatable story by Bill Orth on "Ferrari cold-start warning" in the latest Prancing Horse issue #211. It's about a vintage car collector who had bought a 250-series Ferrari that had a fully rebuilt engine certified as 'the sweetest running 250". However without his knowledge later, the new owner's son tried to cold start the car several times with much difficulty because he didn't know and didn't follow the typical starting drill for Colombo-designed V12 engines. After he did get the engine to run, he immediately put it in gear and drove away (much like what's done by most everyone with today's cars). Well, it only took a few miles before the 250's engine stopped and locked completely. "Post mortem" revealed a seized engine rear main bearing which reached very high temperatures due to lack of lubrication. The bearing melted and transferred molten metal on to the crankshaft and its journal, then also sheared its locating pin. All because the quick drive away didn't allow for oil to fully flow through the engine and warm up before hitting high revs. :(

Though our modern Ferraris are not quite as sensitive, relatively speaking, it's still a very expensive lesson re following 'how to start' guidelines. Likewise for 599s (or Ferraris with dry sump engines), Forza magazine's survey revealed that the most reported engine issues had arisen from overfilling with oil which can cause "frothing" then loss of lubrication; one owner had overfilled the engine to the point it suffered hydraulic lock and seized! :eek:

PS: the seized 250 engine story didn't conclude if the son got 'disowned' and 'disinherited'! :D

George Vosburgh likes this.
  10. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Randy,

You're right, we don't want to or shouldn't turn these posts into a Porsche thread, but do allow me this last mention. A year after we moved here to CA in early 1980, I also owned an '80 931S (or a glorified name for the 924 Turbo) with a converted Audi 4-banger truck engine that featured a single KKK turbocharger. Gorgeous outside/inside design, though.

Problem was its turbos were replaced three times at Masterson's due to fried bearings after less than 30k miles. Its lube system lacked a pressure relief / check valve to maintain cooling oil after engine shutoff and resultant rise in temperature due to 'heat sink'. I was fortunate that the Masterson's salesman informed me quietly of a then special CA-mandated 50k mile warranty on turbocharged induction systems, so I consigned it back to them and sold it way before the warranty expired.

Turning back to Ferraris, all I've read from Forza mags' surveys of various modern models were overall good results for reliability, especially on frequently driven ones. It was those survey results that convinced me to take the Ferrari plunge. I was initially focused on 575M which is like a modern 250 GT Lusso, but got a 599 instead due to its detuned Enzo engine and its classic, muscular design by Jason Catriota. I was also considering the SLS-AMG but having worked with the Ferrari F1 engineering team as a supplier and consultant for 19 years, I thought of the 599 as a great retirement gift (rather than a cheap quartz wristwatch).

PS: I'll PM you soon for a local get together. I couldn't previously due to having gotten sick with three different ailments from end December through late May (including the dreaded, painful shingles).

BTW Randy, are you a current member of FCA-SW?

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Jose - Yes I am a member of FOC & FCA but I don’t attend very many FCA functions mainly PCA/SBR functions. Most Ferrari club events start in LA and then go elsewhere so a bit of an LA traffic commute just to get to the starting point. But would like to meet Ferrari folk in Ventura County will look forward to hearing from you.

12. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I have experienced this issue over many years of 599 ownership. The starting procedure is turn key to ignition on a blue check message comes on and once it goes out then push the start button. Then a diagram of the engine will display when this goes out then you are ready to drive off. If you have left the car in gear it will automatically go into neutral when you push the start button. My tech tells me that the electrical system failure message displays due to low battery voltage which I don t understand and cannot be explained to me as I always have the battery on tender. What I have found is that when I am driving on a regular basis and that is 3 to 4 times a week the electrical system failure never comes on but if I have not driven for 2 weeks or more it does come on.

So my diagnosis is that the electrical system failure message is the car telling you for f sake drive me more regular and I wont give you a mild heart palpatation with my little tantrum on start up.

13. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    I have a parking sensor error message. I will test it one of these days to find which one need to go. silly question, these sensors need to be painted with the car color, right? do you just take it to any paint shop to do that? what is your experience?

14. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Any competent paint shop can paint them. Just because they are on a Ferrari does not mean the painting is any different from any other make of vehicle.

15. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Im fully aware we don't buy Ferrari s for their reliability...and maybe i should stop trying tot Transform what's not perfect into perfection but as bizar Italian electronics may act, there still should be a physical reason for this behaviour. And the message pops up even before i push the start button..

16. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting thread. I took out my 599 this weekend after it sitting for 2 weeks. I got the same "electrical system failure" message, but it went away after a few moments. Car was parked in gear but I can't remember if I let the entire "check ok" process complete. Everything seemed to work fine when I drove it.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I occasionally get an error but it appears to happen when it has been parked for a while (probably a bit lower than typical on the battery) and I don't let it complete the check. And yes, everything works fine after it is started. This tells me it is most likely the ECU doesn't like a sag in the voltage during start on a slightly low battery. Sensitivity to battery charge, nothing new there.

18. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    OK, I've now verified that the error message "electrical system failure parking system" showed up simply because I pressed the starter button just a split second before the check system beeped three times. Regardless, a few seconds later the system returned a "Check OK" message.

This event happened yesterday after having driven my car the day before, which proves that the warning message only appeared when I pushed the starter button too soon which prevented the system from completing its initial check between turning the key on to the sound of the three beeps.

These three beeps are an indicator signifying initial review has been completed, then the engine may be started and most of the dash lights turn off, except for the engine light. Once full system check is complete, the engine light turns off about one second before the 'Check OK' message appears.

Mind you my car is a 2011 HGTE serial 1810XX, but previously I owned a very early 2007 GTB serial 1505XX. If I can recall correctly (yes my memory is no longer as it used to be; RAM is now faulty!), their system check sequences are a bit different regarding when the engine warning light turns off, wherein:

1) with my early 2007 model after turning the key on, it's important to wait for the engine warning light to turn off completely and three beeps to sound before pushing the big red button to start the 599's engine. Then wait for 'Check OK' message to appear before putting the transmission into R or 1st gear to drive away.

2) In the 2011's system after turning the key on, the system performs an initial check then wait for three beeps to sound before starting the engine as usual. However while the engine is already running, the engine warning light stays on. Then it's recommended to wait for the engine light to turn off and the message 'Check OK' to appear before driving off.

19. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    mine gives the failure even before i hit the red button. But weirdly enough it only makes the 3 beeps IF there is a failure. No failure=no beeps...