What’s a Proper way to wipe down your car after a drive? | FerrariChat

What’s a Proper way to wipe down your car after a drive?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Tamahal, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Hey guys, I’ve detailed the 430 but now need some advise on after drive wipe down. What do you guys do after going on a short drive. I do get bug splatter.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Microfiber towel and meguiairs quick detailer spray .. spray on generously in shade after paint is cool and wipe off .. may leave a little haze if you don't wipe too much but I prefer that then swirls ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do you have paint protection film? I have it over most of my Cali, so I don't stress too much unless it is (a) bird poop, (b) road tar/asphalt, or (c) bug splatter.
    In those cases, I wipe it off with a damp microfiber cloth, then use a spray detailer (I think it's Meguiar's) after the car has cooled off...T

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I was at a Ferrari main dealer and this man turns up with an Enzo. He had driven miles to get there, to ask the dealers the best way to get some dust off his car. The uk had been covered in dust from the Sahara desert and this man was worried about getting this fine dust off.
    I had to see this to believe it, even the showroom staff looked embarrassed.
    What is wrong with a garden hose !!

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Enzo? Garden hose?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lol. I can't speak for other F-car owners, but there is no garden hose that can reach to where I park my Ferrari. Covering the car in PPF was the smartest thing I ever did. Now I stress less about whether it's pristine or not. Less time spent cleaning = more time driving.

T

eyeman1234 and SingleClutch like this.
  6. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I do have PPF, but, only on the nose, not hood, fenders, or air intake ...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
  8. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Use a nice microfiber towel. Spray a cheaper instant detail spray directly onto the towel and the car. Wipe off the doo-doo and bugs, then go back over it with premium spray (chemical guys V07). Takes 5 min and will shine like new.

9. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I use onr. Like a cap full in a spray bottle with distilled water. works great for light to moderate cleaning.

RANDY6005 and eyeman1234 like this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It just cracked me up at the time, such a daft question. Lets face it a good coat of wax is a great protection against dust etc. i had to drive mine for 3 hours down the motorway in very heavy rain for its annual service, arrived covered in grime but washed up fine. Worst part of the trip was keeping the inside of the screen clear of misting over- you get sick of the fan running full on after a while. For some reason they mist over very easy.

tomc likes this.
  11. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  12. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    what the heck is PPF: please??

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I use Meguiar’s Waterless Wash and Wax instead of detail spray. It’s better at floating the dirt so it can be trapped by the micro-fiber towel.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Buzios likes this.
  14. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    so, just like the other guy, what is URL please. and please folks don't use the abbreviations for us dumb nuts who don't know what those abbreviations mean!

wax likes this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Paint protection film.
    T

SingleClutch likes this.
  16. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks

17. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No worries. Being a scientist, I forget and go into jargon mode! My thought is that if you have PPF to provide a layer of protection between your paint and the environment, you can less time stressing about dirt & spend more time enjoying your car. Just my two cents, since some people enjoy cleaning and detailing their cars. I do, but it's about 20th on my list of fun things to do on my day off...T

19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
  20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    help a brother out with some answers, thread moved

21. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    ONR as suggested (Optimum No Rinse) or what I've used quite a bit is Ech2o from Carpro. The quick detailers are good to use if the car has gathered dust from sitting in a garage for a few days. Once the car is driven I wouldn't suggest a quick detailer as it doesn't have enough strength to safely remove the debris from driving. You have to remember that when you take the car out its not just dust, its iron particles, road debris etc these can be very harmful if you aren't removing them safely. A proper wash would be the first option but if you don't want to spend that much time (I get it and I don't always either) thats where you use a dedicated rinse less or dry wash product. ONR and Ech2o both encapsulate the dirt and debris making it safer to wipe off the paint, also getting quality plush microfibers will be necessary to safely and effectively clean the car with those two options. When the full car is wrapped in ppf you can move a little faster as you don't have to be so careful but its best to use a good amount of product and always gentle pressure. If what ever is on the car doesn't come off with one pass don't scrub the area, just apply more product and make a second or third pass with light pressure. When using a car cover only put it on after the car is washed and put in the garage, or after one of the options mentioned above and never wipe the car down at a "cars and coffee" type event. Over time car covers and wipe downs with a quick detailer on a dirty car will lead to scratches and swirl marks.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    For bugs or bird crap I put a dab of car wash in a water soaked shop towel and microwave until almost smoking. Then place it (or parts of it) on each bug splat (looks like the old days when you put TP on shaving cuts). Must be soaking wet but not running wet. Make sure it stays flat in contact. Leave until cool to the touch. Without any rubbing, lift off the wet towels. Then lightly use a a water or quick shine damped microfiber. Don't rub the whole panel.

Dust is dust and stays on the car until a proper was. Anytime you rub a Ferrari with anything you will scratch it. Scratches are worse than dust.

Cgk360 likes this.