Classiche Annual Inspection | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Classiche Annual Inspection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WCH, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Nope. My red folder didn’t have that little book. Just the certificate and the folder. See attached
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I believe the annual inspection requirement and the inclusion of the annual inspection booklet are a more recent evolution from just the past few years.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Peculiar. Not sure why anyone would buy that for their car given that it would have no substance or official validation.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Judging by the number of incorrect items I found on cars in the Maranello museum when I was there for the 70th Anni festivities (a Cavallino badge on a Dino 246 GT, for example), I have little faith that any Classiche Certification would be accurate.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Yeah. I’ve heard plenty of this opinion before. People don’t seem to understand what Classiche Certification requires, or they don’t want to know. If anything, I think the process isn’t rigid enough, but the badge wouldn’t stand in the way of it being certified. It’s major components that are required.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe they should have a Classiche for people who don't drive their cars?

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You don’t drive your Ferrari?

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ain't got one no mo. Ain't likely to get one, neither. I just brought a Jensen Healey for $8,000. It is more fun than the law allows.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’m guessing same reasons as those who buy/own cars only for showing them at collections/events/gatherings, without really using them “as (originally) intended”* or those who buy/own fake cars/watches/whatever...

* If I’m not mistaken most, if not all, road going Ferraris, for example, have always been built and intended for long distance leisure travel, i.e. Grand Touring.

turbo-joe and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    People should enjoy their property however they choose and in whatever manner brings them joy. Speaking for myself, I both drive my cars and I also enjoy showing them. In fact, had a wonderful drive this weekend with both of my Ferrari's throughout the Maryland countryside. I work very hard and I invest a great deal in keeping my cars at their optimum condition, both cosmetic and mechanical. I'm not sure I see any harm in that. The other owners/presenters I have had the pleasure of meeting at some of the finest concours are deeply passionate enthusiasts. The Ferrari community should be thankful that these individuals exist as serious stewards of the brand. And yet, oddly, there are a small group of vocal naysayers who seem to find that somehow offensive. I suppose anyone with common sense can easily guess why that is.

328PWC likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm slow. Can you enlighten me?

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    No

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sometime ago I purchased on eBay and entire red book for a certified Ferrari.
    It even included all contact details including mobile phone numbers and credit car details of the (Italian) man who had had his Ferrari certified.
    I think I paid something like 300 bucks or so for that red book.
    Strange to see that the red book did not go to the new owner of the car.

Second case: Years ago I sold a pretty significant 250 GT (exact type I will not release) and the new buyer did not want the red book that came with it. He said he doesn't care. So I just kept that red book.
    Funny world.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, Rory J, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

That's really odd, particularly the second anecdote. To have a red book on a significant car, like it or not, is significant. Thanks for sharing.

15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My Lusso T is now a year old, should I get a red book and book it in for a yearly inspection in 2020 ?:rolleyes:

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Needs to be at least 20 years old to be considered for certification.

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It was a joke my friend. I must have lost my touch.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m sure it was, but not everyone knows that cars need to be 20+ years to be considered.

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yet I believe they do another “book” (yellow or perhaps white?) for more recent cars.

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There are plenty of threads already about all this on fchat. Use the search function.
    The yellow book is for the supercars such as a LaFerrari or a LaFerrari Aperta. Although brand new cars they came automatically with a yellow book, proving that they were real Ferraris (after you had just spent 1.5 M $ or whatever to buy it). The white book was issued for classic Ferraris that could not get a red book (because they did not meet the criteria) but are of special historical interest (like the 250 GT SWB Breadvan #2819 GT).

Marcel Massini

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so ferarii give out a red book, a yellow book and a white book.
    white book for cars not matching the criteria for a red book, ok, but what are the criteria for a special historical interest? only a famous constructor or famous owner before?
    what else of colored books ferrari give out?

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #198 miurasv, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    The Classiche White Book is not for all cars that could not get a Red Book as such, as they do not meet that criteria, but specifically that they are of Historic Interest, being raced in period in that exact specification, or being shown at International Concours, or in recognised publications in that specification.

See here: https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/news-events/news/ferrari-spa-by-ferrari-classiche-issues-attestation-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest-to-breadvan/

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    As well as the Breadvan, 2819GT, another example of a Ferrari with a Classiche White Book is 250 GTO 4153GT. This is because it has the engine from a 25O GT SWB Berlinetta, 2445GT, a tipo 168/61 Comp. engine, and not a correct 250 GTO tipo 168/62 Comp. engine. The engine had been dry sumped/converted to GTO spec. It won its most famous race, the 1964 Tour de France with this engine, so can achieve White Book Classiche Status as being a Ferrari of Historical Interest if meeting all other criteria. Before 4153GT was last sold, the then owner acquired the original engine, so it may well be able to get a Red Book if the original engine was installed and then attested.

24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Rossocorsa1 and pilotoCS like this.