360 - Is there any collector demand for the 360 spider | FerrariChat

360 Is there any collector demand for the 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Azzuro Blue, Jun 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I'm curious whether the 360 spider is a car which attracts collectors. Mine Is a very unusual color combination, pristine California Azzurro blue with tan interior and all the right options. I have had people tell me it is the most beautiful Ferrari they have never seen, so if there are collectors for the 360, I would think mine would be very desirable. I also own a Lamborghini Huracan and a McLaren 570S so the Ferrari is rarely driven but looks so spectacular in the garage I had not been able to bring myself to sell it.
    So my basic question is whether I am likely to find a collector who would appreciate this car or whether the 360s have just fallen by the wayside.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    <opinion>
    What does a collector want? The answer is typically rarity. The 360 Modena and Spider just aren't that rare yet. Maybe in 50 years, after 13,000 of them have been recycled, it will have some collector interest but don't hold your breath. If you look at the historical values for 360 Spiders, they are flat for years (Hagerty). The type of "collector" who might appreciate the 360 Spider is one that also has a Porsche and a Lexus. A collection of 1.

I suggest you move the car on to someone who will use and appreciate the car. Having it sit as a garage queen does no good to you, the car or the future of the 360 model.
    </opinion>

3. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    If you are asking if the car will soon appreciate in value based on “collector” criteria such as rarity, the answer is no. Too many (by Ferrari standards) produced. BUT....it will eventually appreciate as it becomes “classic”. Likely another 5-10 years. You may get a small premium over current pricing (by someone like me) that prefers an interesting color combination.

Also, I know of no place that correctly reports average selling prices or “current market value” on Ferraris. The only accurate method is to engage in the buying/selling process and see what offers fly or don’t fly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    And....unmodified and well documented cars will fetch a premium over modified cars. Just sold my 308 QV for a good price because 1.) everything worked, 2.) lots of service records back to new, and 3.) unmolested. Selling price wasn’t anything like the “market reports”.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Collectors want the Challenge Stradale and not the 360 Modena or Spider. As someone else said they are not rare enough by Ferrari standards.

I would keep the 360 spider and take the initiative to drive it more often. Sounds like you will regret selling it if you do.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great car to own and drive but probably not going to result in any kind of windfall in the next decade or so. I say that even though mine appears more beautiful each time I look at it. Maybe if people keep totaling them and word catches on that there really aren't that many left?

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If F1 tranny; no
    If stick; possibly.

True story; a few years back when I was Ferrari shopping at around $100K one of my main considerations was depreciation (collectability).
    My friend was also shopping for something but a bit pricier.
    I was trying to talk him into something like what I was looking at.

He bought a 360 convertible around $160K IIRC.
    I bought a 512BB (shoulda bought that beater 365BB though).

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    That very well may be. But any increase in value during that time will probably be eaten up by maintenance and repair costs.

EastMemphis and vinny84 like this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    If you really love the car - keep it.

I may buy a 360 next but I’m not expecting it to go up in value.

Robb

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    As much as I've grown fond of 360s, they are simply too ordinary (by Ferrari standards) to be collectible any time soon. The blue color is interesting and a plus for me (I see way too many red cars). It is less desirable to most folks.

f355spider likes this.
  11. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    There is pretty good data on the 360: Keith Martin's Sports Car Market, Hagerty (free and online), and Ferrari Market Letter. I would recommend that you look at those. I follow them all pretty closely, and my sense is that the market for these cars has been amazingly flat (in fact, in an article a year ago Ferrari Market Letter commented on that fact). If the past is a harbinger of the future, that is what one should expect: that the market will continue to be flat. That's not bad! It beats a quickly depreciating car. But, as noted above, you will have ongoing maintenance over that time.

Subscribe to the sources, do your own research, but basically I agree with most everyone else above: if you love the car, keep it and enjoy it. But don't expect a windfall.

12. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Doubt it in all honesty. Too many produced like everybody said. It's not old enough to be a classic, and, if it's an F1, then no chance. If it's an MT, then maybe at least.

When you say the right options, I'm assuming that it's a 6MT, with like the CF Backed Sport Seats at least.

13. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    This is not a prediction, but just some food for thought. When I was shopping for my 308 back around 2000, there were a number of cars (such as a 4 light 330, 246 Dino, etc.) that were “affordable” at the time. They were affordable because conventional wisdom was that those cars were not “collectible” (4 lights are “ugly,” Dino is not a “real” Ferrari, etc.). Well, those cars are not entry-level prices any more. Even my 308QV jumped in price the last couple of years (more than my purchase price+maintenance). My point is that maintenance costs don’t appreciate as fast as even the “common” Ferraris are likely to appreciate once they transition to become classics. The number of good, unmolested 360s will dwindle over time, and I think they have a timeless styling that will appreciate in value over time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I'm not concerned whether it will appreciate. While lack of rarity may make the car unappealing to a serious wealthy Ferrari collector, I find lots of people have collections, Or even just several, of other types of cars that are not particularly rare. I would just like to think that the person who buys it would be someone who really appreciates the car and keeps it nice. Would auto trader And F chat be the best places to list the car or are there some others I should add as well?

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    As a shopper, I find Cargurus to be the best place to search and actually buy. They have a really great feature where shoppers can put notifications in for new and or changed listings. They also have a very useful price history (except in Texas).

vinny84 likes this.
  16. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    This!

I sold my 348 last year on there and bought my recent 360 purchase on this site as well. Definitely recommended!

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Some thoughts from my recent experience selling a 308QV and buying a TDF blue 360...

Fchat buyers are likely to be either 1.) knowledgeable and therefore want good value/bargain; or 2.) someone looking for very specific features (color, F1/stick, low miles, low/hi miles, whatever).

eBay/CarGurus/AutoTrader will hit a much broader market. You will get a lot of tire-kickers and annoying calls/emails (as well as get on lots of spam lists). You will also get a few serious buyers that are “car guys” but not necessarily Ferrari guys (which is good).

You can also try Hemmings (which is sort in between).

You only need 1 buyer, and it is not more likely to come from any one of those places more than the others ...just matters on what you’re willing to deal with during the process.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It's a buyer's market for both the 360 Spider and the F430 Spider. It could be decades, if ever, these things reach true collector car status. BTW, that doesn't mean they are not AWESOME.

killer58 likes this.
  19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Short answer: No.
    And I have a pretty Azzuro Blue 360 too. A Modena with crema interior/navy blue piping on the seats.

Should these cars ever reach collector status, I'm sure I'll be dead. So I just drive and enjoy mine.

20. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I bought my ‘04 gated spider two years ago. The brushed aluminum interior was all replaced with carbon fiber. The car was then “collected” by the 3 previous owners. It had 3800 miles on it. I bought it at a substantial discount and am in the process of turning it into a high mileage example. If I ever sell it, I bet it’ll break even.

Bigilo and Themaven like this.
  21. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    If I may quote the late and great Tom Petty...

-Now and again, I get the feeling
    Well, if I don't win, I'm a-gonna break even...
    That’s how I feel about the F360 chances of appreciation.

- I don’t know but I’ve been told you never slow down you never grow old.
    This is how I feel about owning and driving an F360.

22. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    wait i thought collectors don't want the F1 system cars and only sticks are worth anything? Wouldn't the stradale fit that. The ferrari dealer near me told me my 575 wasn't something they were interested for consignment bc it wasn't a stick, apparently F1 cars are worthless.....

23. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Stick cars might command a higher premium now but they may not down the road. Hard to say as it all depends on what the market wants at any given time.

However, the CS has less than 1,300 units produced. These will command more of a premium than a manual, as they are now. Hence why I feel like collectors would want these more so than a 360 manual.

24. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    There will be a collector interest, not sure about demand, not so much that it's a 360 but that it's a Ferrari, there will always be interest due to that, just like there is interest in the VW bug. Demand might be tougher due to production numbers. As far as F1 vs stick desirability......Business 101, know your market, and supply and demand. Sticks get a premium due to the rarity but also because that's the market, now. In 20-30 years, the market will be the generation that grew up on game consoles and paddle shifting cars on their walls, and since there are more F1 360's they will be more easily attainable than the sticks....my $0.02.

vinny84 likes this.
  25. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true. I remember about 10 years ago you could have picked up a Dino for 45K. Boy I wish I had foresight then :). I agree too that quality condition 360s will come into their own in time. Styling is timeless, alloy body and pure joy to drive. Time and only time will tell.