best models in 1/18 | FerrariChat

best models in 1/18

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by siemensmotors, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. siemensmotors

siemensmotors Rookie

Oct 30, 2017
    hello,

i created separated thread. i am currently at the state of downscaling my collection and want to keep/buy only the best models in 1:18 available. i want the collection to be max 30-40 models. i am interested mainly in classic ferrari race and formula 1 cars, but if there are great race car models from other brands i'd like to have them also.

i don't care if it's diecast or resin, open or closed. i just want the most accurate high end replicas.

so as there are a lot of model experts, what are the best models i can get in 1:18 scale?

here is the list of models i'd like to get. some of them i already have. what are your opinions?

500 f2 - cmc or exoto
    246 f1 - exoto
    156 f1 - exoto
    250 testarossa - cmc lucybelle / dm124
    250 tr58 le mans, targa florio - bbr, amalgam
    250 tr61 - bbr, looksmart
    275+ - bbr
    250 gto - cmc, bbr, amalgam, mg
    275 gtb - bbr
    f40 lm imsa - bbr, mg
    330p3 - bbr
    330p4 - gmp, amalgam, other
    312pb - gmp
    512m - gmp, rare models
    512s
    512bb lm nart - bbr
    sf15t - bbr
    sf71h - bbr, looksmart, amalgam
    333sp - bbr, amalgam
    250lm - looksmart, amalgam
    126c2 - bbr

non ferrari models

bugatti t35 - cmc
    mercedes sskl - cmc
    mercedes w196 streamliner - cmc
    mercedes blue wonder transporter - cmc
    mercedes 300 slr #722 - cmc
    alfa romeo 8c 2900b le mans - cmc
    alfa romeo 6c 1750 mille miglia - cmc
    alfa romeo 159 fangio - exoto
    alfa romeo 33tt12 - autoart
    jaguar d type le mans - autoart
    jaguar d type le mans - exoto
    auto union typ c - cmc

thank you

360+Volt=Prius and gt4me like this.
  2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    My Comments below. Ones I have not commented on, I think will be fine for you collection.

500 f2 - cmc or exoto - EXOTO. Terrible company, but great models. Their Ferrari F-1 models are much better than CMC.
    246 f1 - exoto
    156 f1 - exoto
    250 testarossa - cmc lucybelle / dm124 This is an OK model, but has many accuracy flaws - typical of CMC's poor research, and overall execution.
    250 tr58 le mans, targa florio - bbr, amalgam Both of them miss the mark for being completely correct. Tough choice.
    250 tr61 - bbr, looksmart Both of them miss the mark for being completely correct. Tough choice, but maybe BBR for this one.
    275+ - bbr
    250 gto - cmc, bbr, amalgam, mg ALL are flawed, but my first choice would be Kyosho, which was not on your list. Following that, I would also buy a BBR. I have BBR "Press Day" GTO, and Kyosho production GTO. Kyosho also offered several competition versions. For my collection, I will also be adding a 1:12 Custom built GTO.
    275 gtb - bbr
    f40 lm imsa - bbr, mg BBR.
    330p3 - bbr
    330p4 - gmp, amalgam, other Amalgam.
    312pb - gmp
    512m - gmp, rare models Neither.... both are disappointing, but maybe the GMP if you fix some of it's problems.
    512s
    512bb lm nart - bbr
    sf15t - bbr
    sf71h - bbr, looksmart, amalgam Amalgam or maybe BBR.
    333sp - bbr, amalgam BBR.
    250lm - looksmart, amalgam Looksmart is overall much more accurate for this model.
    126c2 - bbr

non ferrari models

bugatti t35 - cmc
    mercedes sskl - cmc
    mercedes w196 streamliner - cmc
    mercedes blue wonder transporter - cmc
    mercedes 300 slr #722 - cmc
    alfa romeo 8c 2900b le mans - cmc
    alfa romeo 6c 1750 mille miglia - cmc
    alfa romeo 159 fangio - exoto
    alfa romeo 33tt12 - autoart
    jaguar d type le mans - autoart
    jaguar d type le mans - exoto Highly detailed, but not correct.
    auto union typ c - cmc

gt4me likes this.
  3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    FWIW I pretty much agree with Marshall on most of those.

Some time ago I was at a show where one of the vendors had both CMC and Exoto 500 F2 and I spent quite a long time comparing them. Neither was perfect but I liked the Exoto much more because it had a character that the CMC just didn't have. In the end I bought the CMC because the vendor could do me such a good price on it and the Exoto was much more expensive... but I still should have bought the Exoto. I do have several Exoto models, probably my favourite being the Villeneuve umbrella 312 T4, fortunately all bought some while back at sensible prices.

I have a Kyosho 250 GTO and wouldn't swap it for any of the other makes of that model. Their 575 GTC is also one of my favourites.

I am really happy with my GMP 330 P4. Resin models just don't do it for me when you have a version where you can take off the engine cover etc. particularly when the engine is a work of art like it is on the P4. For the same reason I have the BBR diecast 512 BB/LM although I think they have done resin version as well.

I have been waiting a long time for someone to do decent 126C and 126C2 models but no-one has yet.

Personally, I would always sacrifice a bit of accuracy for a nicer model. The basics have to be right, like the shape, but I'm not displaying my models next to the real car or 100 detail photos of the real car so I'm not too bothered about minor things that aren't quite right and that I wouldn't even know about unless I sat down and carefully studied the model along with myriad photos of the real thing.

gt4me likes this.
  4. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    There seems to be lack of interest in current day manufacturers on getting accuracy right; and as long as they are selling product they don't seem to care. Your quest to have 'best model' may mean having a semi accurate piece, or not have a specific model at all.

rysc97 and Lusso123 like this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1.... I am in complete agreement with David.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Since you didn't list anything for the 512S, I have the Mattel short-tail (the Sebring winner) and the CMR long-tail and I find them both acceptable.

7. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    I can highly recommend gmp's 1972 Ferrari 312 PB (I have the 1000 km Monza winner = Ickx/Regazzoni) and autoart's fantastic 1975 Alfa Romeo 33TT12 (I have the Spa winning car of Bell/Pescarolo) - see pics (please note that on the Alfa the rear view mirror is only lightly attached to the body for making it possible to remove it and to put it back in the box - it should go about 2 mm down into the body)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have the 312 PB and like it very much. I display it on top of GMP's 1/6 model of its engine, which only seems appropriate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login