What’s Your Next Ferrari Purchase and Your Purchase Timeline? | FerrariChat

What’s Your Next Ferrari Purchase and Your Purchase Timeline?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Jun 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I’m looking to buy between now and 18 months. Will keep my Lamborghini Diablo Roadster. Although other things tend to come and go in and out of my head (ex. 550, Porsche 993 Turbo, Euro carbed 308 GTB) from time to time, 3 cars are always in the forefront:

Scuderia

Boxer BBi

Ford GT (’05-’06 version)

Can comfortably buy a 15-20k mile Scuderia now, the GT is probably 12-18 months out, the Boxer is the wildcard since the difference in condition between cars is the widest.

What and when are you looking to purchase?

paulchua likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    None and never.

F355 Fan 82 and VPX like this.
  3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Likely getting a 360. Hopefully in 12 months, maybe 24.

vinny84 and paulchua like this.
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Any one that has working ac. So I guess I can’t afford any ever

showme1946 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    when they can make a car without sticky switches. I need a clutch pedal while we're at it. So likely never.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ferrari key ring for my spare key and spare immobiliser I just bought!!!

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well, this was meant as a serious thread, if a moderator won't close it, clown away.

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the responses thus far are from 2 perspectives:
    1) Folks that sincerely don't plan to purchase a Ferrari, but enjoy the forum.
    2) Folks that already own Ferrari(s) and don't plan to purchase another.

Nothing wrong with either situations.

Nothing offensive or insulting posted, that said I think the OP is seeking responses from folks that *do* plan to purchase another Ferrari.

Best wishes to you all.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Let me help get the ball rolling. I don't plan to buy another Ferrari in the future, but if I were I would be looking at either a 612 or 412 5 speed

Cheers

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ok; in all seriousness. :)

I’m thinking of a 360 spyder. Only reasons is I’d like a little more leg room than my 348, being 6’1” ish. Otherwise I wouldn’t change a thing.

paulchua likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That’s a very Zen response, Paul, but I vote with the OP whose thread was aimed at people who are thinking of buying a Ferrari..otherwise, several billion people could all respond saying they are not planning to buy one, not making for a very interesting thread.

Anyway..if the market was more liquid I would sell my F512M and low miles 430 coupe manual and buy a 16M. Maybe.

Or, scenario 2, I would sell just the latter and buy a California 30 Handling Speciale with good spec in an unusual colour. Because my kids are now teenagers and often need driving somewhere with a friend, and none of my Ferraris can do that, which is a shame. The HS Cali 30 is an underrated car.

Problem is it’s just not a great time to try and sell a Ferrari here.

LARRYH and paulchua like this.
  12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I retire (soon), I'll sell my main house. I'm fantasizing of then getting an F430 spider to go along with my 550.

LARRYH and Themaven like this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I will not buy another Ferrari unless it has a manual. (period)

I will not buy a car older than about 1995 due to crash worthiness.

Sorry, that's just the way it is.....

Dewinator and Texas Forever like this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    As if todad, I would love a not too old /not too new V12 in the 3 - 4 year range. Sadly, modern V12s have more power than I need or want, although I know I'll miss the DCT that my Cali and Porsche have. Thinking of a 456M, 575M or 599 GTB. A less common color without shields would be icing on the cake.

In the longer term, looking to retirement in the 10 - 15 year time frame, I'd like to go back and invest the time to learn to drive a manual, and then get what what would then be a modern classic F-car like a 550 or manual 456.

T

Nospinzone likes this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm thinking of selling of my Lexus LS460 and substituting a FF as my daily driver. I may do this in the next year.

Way2fast likes this.
  16. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m looking to get sell my F430spider in the next 3 years and get a 458 spider. I still love NA Ferrari’s.

17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just got a 2012 FF to replace my M5 as a daily driver

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

PhilaChris and Themaven like this.
  18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Not that I’m into speculating and rubbing crystal balls when Venus and Mars are aligned under a full moon; but I wouldn’t sell the 430 manual. If anything has potential to properly increase in value it has to be the last manual Ferrari...doesn’t it?

Themaven likes this.
  19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Getting ready to add another f-car

Either

328 - but already owned one and it is a bit small for me at 6’-1” the first Ferrari I fell in love with. After my generation x, I don’t think anyone will be really buying these...
    360 coupe - ticks all the boxes but would prefer to find a stick at a realistic price...
    575 - but already have an Aston that does most the same things and looks better in my eyes at far less money.
    612 - but I don’t need 4 seats, suspension trouble or replacing f1 clutch more often because of a much heavier car.
    Mondial T coupe - but I would likely never find a buyer for the car in the future, and I don’t need 4 seats...
    Open to other cars but they are getting out of budget rather quickly.

There you go.

Robb

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    How would the 355 be for a fit? Much easier to obtain than a 360 manual, the best looking of the original 3XX line of cars, and the sound.....

Robb likes this.
  21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, it is the Internet. You were expecting serious?

Okay, I'll play. Purely hypothetical, if I was going to buy another Ferrari, it would be a F360 stick. I know the F430 is a better car, but I like the way the F360 sounds. Moreover, I will never play "Ricky Racer" on public roads again, which means I would not need the better handling of the F430. (I'm also not dumb enough to take a Ferrari to the track. That's what Miatas are for.) Even then, a F360 is too fast for public roads. Yes, it is true. It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yes...

We currently have three F355...

hence the other cars mentioned to go with them.

Robb

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #23 paulchua, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    I recently got a 2012 Quattroporte Gen 5.5. I will throw that out there as a possible 'fauxrari'

I am writing a full report and thoughts, but in the meantime, let me submit to you fine gentlemen my thesis for 'peer review.' Criticism and disagreements of my ideas encouraged.
    My argument is simply this. The Quattroporte represents an exciting intersection of realities, the spiritual successor Lancia Thema, but much better executed (in 5.5 updates.) In essence, the closest one can get to a 4 door Ferrari.

1) Ferrari for six short years was the controlling owner of Maserati. Calling all the shots.
    2) During this period, the F136, utilized in the F430/458; was used albeit in less tune, and cross-plane crank (among other civilizing changes) in all Maserati cars.
    3) While the 3200GT, and Coupe', Grand Turismo are some of my favorite cars, I would always have in the back of my mind the 'greater' Ferrari versions of it, mainly say the California or Portofino.
    4) Ferrari purists cover your ears, (or eyes), here we go. I've always thought a 4-door Ferrari would be cool. Yes, hang me now! (or at least until the Purosangue is released)
    5) The Quattroporte represents that configuration.
    6) The Quattroporte was the only single model completely designed with Ferrari in full control of it's development. The 3200 was 'refreshed' by Ferrari.

Unlike the Lancia Thema however, it represents additional "Ferrari-ness" that make it a truly unique proposition.

• Like the Lancia, it has a Ferrari engine.
    • Unlike the Lancia, it is aesthetically designed completely by Pininfarina.
    • Ferrari engineers were involved in the suspension to the drivetrain; in fact, it uses the same steering rack from the 612. In fact puruse any part cross reference list, and you'll see the QP right there many times. Many of the parts in other Ferrari are right here in the QP! Same exact infotainment system used as other Ferrari for the era (this is a bad thing)
    • Unlike the new Quattroportes, the engine is built wholly in the hallowed halls of Maranello's Ferrari engine foundry.
    • The interior is unique to the QP, while all new Maserati have been heavily criticized for sharing parts from other Chrysler cars.
    • Ferrari has announced that they will no longer build engines for Maserati.
    • Maserati has not used Pininfarina in their latest model line.
    • Maserati went from being owned by Ferrari to a separate entity now.

Ferrari Engine? (check)
    Pininfarina? (check)
    Built in Modena and Maranello? (not Kokomo, Indiana) - Check
    0-60 in 4.5 seconds? (yup)
    Handling universally agreed as best in class by all reviewers? (yes)
    4 Doors to haul family in comfort (absolutely)

The kicker? You can get a low mileage late model Quattroporte (That has many issues sorted) for well under $30K.

I have had no problems (besides stickies - haha yet another Ferrari 'hallmark') for the month I've had her. An amazing bargain, and my "Fauxrari' 4 door.

eyeman1234, Il Tifoso and Elisesko like this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hoping anyway.....don't we have the flood thread for our yuks anyway?

I've been saving for 5 years just to get to this point (unless my daughter and Texas A&M ask for the money, then I'll be on wrecked Ford Pinto sites).

kes7u, Texas Forever and showme1946 like this.
  25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tex,
    Nice choice. I had you pegged for hunting down one of the unicorn Calis with a manual transmission!
    T