car design thread | Page 342 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I test drove a TR7 and an X1/9 in 1975. Didn't like the handling or feel of the TR7 at all, so I bought the X1/9. Loved that little car. Handling was razor sharp, and the power?...

... like a lawnmower. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Dave Marek can be seen in every obnoxious color you can think of, not much white, and definitely no scarf!

jm2 likes this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The surfacing on the TR7 was a bit primitive but the slashes on the sides were ahead of their time especially in this post-Bangle world.

The X1/9 and X1/20 (aka Montecarlo, aka Scorpion) are positively sublime - thanks for posting!

of2worlds, Isobel and G. Pepper like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    of2worlds, anunakki, Isobel and 2 others like this.
  5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Jaded as I have a TR7 in the garage (TR8, actually), it has been in the family since new. I like the design and always have (largest selling Triumph model, btw) although I’d agree, it doesn’t have a delicate bone anywhere, whereas the Scorpion and X1/9 are exquisitely detailed fashion statements. I’m 5’1 and found the interior of the Fiat was teetering on the edge of confinement, don’t know how you big guys contorted yourself to climb in. The 7 was cavernous by comparison. BLMC were definitely designing the interior for the NA market (only took 20+ years...). Fiat never seemed to care one way or another - forever with the bus angle wheel and piano key pedals angled for go karting. Easy for me..;).

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I don't think the TR-8 looks that bad as a cab WITH THE TOP DOWN. Kind of a nice look.
    Friend had a TR-8 cab.... was a nice car, actually.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Auto & Design Magazine 2019 Car Design Award winners:

energy88 and Isobel like this.
  8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Peugeot are going to need every inch of designer assistance to gain a foothold in the NA market. It’s a shame they aren’t reconsidering offering a Citroen variant.

jm2 likes this.
  9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice exteriors. However, when are interior designers going to start getting away from those tacked on infotainment screens and come up with a more integrated dash look?

Those red bumper mounted air scoops remind me of an Olds 4-4-2 W-30!

anunakki, Isobel and jm2 like this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The Interior designers are struggling with where and how to provide information. Screens are but one source. Some companies integrate them better than others. Knobs and buttons are making a limited comeback.

I believe ultimately, everything will be voice activated, and you won't need no stinking screens. But that's a ways off.

Someone once asked Bill Mitchell, GM VP of Design why he painted the wheel wells red on many of his cars.
    He responded by asking if one had ever cut open an animal!

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The screen as some stand alone element is part of a trend to show off how thin the item is and relate to the I-Pads and other tablets. Kind of a fascination with the technology and trying to show how they are "cool" in using it. Think of it as an evolution of early adopters trying to stand out which later becomes a well integrated solution that no longer needs to call attention to itself.

anunakki and G. Pepper like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not car related, but important nonetheless:
    By Chris Welch@chriswelch Jun 27, 2019, 4:59pm EDTSHARE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
    Apple’s chief design officer Jonathan Ive is departing the company, bringing an end to a tenure spent crafting some of technology’s most influential products, including the iPhone. Ive is leaving his official role at Apple “to form an independent design company which will count Apple among its primary clients.” The company is called LoveFrom, and Ive will be joined by famed designer Marc Newsom on the new venture. Despite stepping down from his executive position, Ive and Apple both claim he will still work “on a range of projects with Apple.”

“Apple will continue to benefit from Jony’s talents by working directly with him on exclusive projects, and through the ongoing work of the brilliant and passionate design team he has built,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a press release. “After so many years working closely together, I’m happy that our relationship continues to evolve and I look forward to working with Jony long into the future.”

Ive is one of the world’s most esteemed industrial designers and has worked on products, including a wide range of Macs, the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and more. He also had a hand in designing the company’s “spaceship” Apple Park campus and establishing the look and feel of Apple retail stores. Most recently, Ive voiced a design video about the new Mac Pro launching later this year. In addition to hardware design, Ive has also been involved in reshaping Apple’s software. He introduced the drastically revamped iOS 7 in 2013, and gave a similar treatment to Apple’s desktop software, now known as macOS.

Apple says that Evans Hankey, its current vice president of industrial design, and Alan Dye, VP of human interface design, will now report to Jeff Williams, who “will spend more of his time working with the design team in their studio.”

“After nearly 30 years and countless projects, I am most proud of the lasting work we have done to create a design team, process and culture at Apple that is without peer,” Ive said. “Today it is stronger, more vibrant and more talented than at any point in Apple’s history. The team will certainly thrive under the excellent leadership of Evans, Alan and Jeff, who have been among my closest collaborators. I have the utmost confidence in my designer colleagues at Apple, who remain my closest friends, and I look forward to working with them for many years to come.”

Ive formed a close working and personal relationship with Steve Jobs when the Apple co-founder returned to the sinking company in 1997. One of the first products the two collaborated on was the 1998 iMac. That kicked off a spectacular comeback for what is now the world’s most recognizable technology company. For many years, Ive appeared in videos that documented and showcased the design of Apple’s latest products. He’s appeared less more recently, but still provides voiceovers for many of the clips.

Developing...

Tenney and G. Pepper like this.
  13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Though maybe he ends up designing a car at some point?

jm2 likes this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney, anunakki and ModernLou like this.
  15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    jm2 likes this.
  16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 likes this.
  17. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    of2worlds, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They do help with aero.
    I was an advocate back in the '70's - '80's. Today probably not so much. Depends on the overall design.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, Tenney, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    And I bet any car they make will look like a kitchen appliance/Computer. By the way, I do think fender skirts look cool on some cars, but like the Concord in your photo their time has come and gone, maybe. Those horrible run flats make tire changing less of an issue now with fender skirts.

20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name: