How can i own a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How can i own a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PatrickWest, Jun 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

MechE is the way to go! My only regret was not getting the MechE. It has huge upside potential. Also consider getting your PE stamp and running a side business.

I suggest you get into oil and gas. Even without an engineering degree I was able to hit six figures in my mid twenty’s when the recession hit. Granted, It took an overseas assignment and a ton of work, but it was a solid start. As a cost guy I basically see what everyone makes. Take the MechE route to project management or petroleum engineer. If you’re willing to work on construction sites or drilling sites you can make more money that many in the medical field. Heck, we had a construction manager with only a high school education who made his way there after starting as pipeline welder, made $300k in a year. Doesn’t live in a high tax state or have two live in an expensive city so he takes most of that home.

A lot of other good advice from other posters as well. Not too hard to get a Ferrari if you’re good with used. Best advise I can give is dedicate yourself to “be the best at what you do”. The rest will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever, Shark01 and paulchua like this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I don't know if the OP is a real person or not, but wanted to expound on my previous response a bit:

2013 ASME Salary Survey (so increase these numbers by 15% for today's standards)
    By experience, 75th percentile

3-4 Yrs $77k
    5-9 Yrs $91k
    10-14 Yrs $112k
    15-19 Yrs $130k
    20-24 Yrs $146k
    25+ Yrs $162k

This is for a BSME only, no PE license, no MS degree, no MBA

But as the poster above said (note what he said very carefully, great stuff there) there are lots of ways to make money. Example, for 2019, I'm sitting at $20,000+ in paid OT already. For many years, I had a side gig renting myself out to do CAD work. Used to pull an extra $10k-$20k per year.

Texas Forever, LARRYH and VAF84 like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Awesome stuff here....every ME in his twenties needs to take EXPAT work....incredible opportunities, great money

ZA3879 and VAF84 like this.
  4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the secret is simply hard work and time.. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and used that to start my career you can do this .. you are getting a degree that will get you a nice paying job the day you graduate and from there just work hard and you will be surprised where you can end up.. an engineering degree gives you all the tools you need to get started from there it is up to you .. but I can tell you there are a lot of engineers that own Ferraris or other great cars..
    Just make it a priority and if you can graduate you will get the car.....best of luck....

5. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Unless get married and have family.

Face76 and phrogs like this.
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I never made it past the 8th grade and I have owned over 475 car (including 7 Ferrari's), but none of that means damn thing. Cars are just machines, they will not change your life, make you a better person, smarter, or better looking. If you are a piece of crap, you will just be a piece of crap that owns a Ferrari. Try concentrating on making a good life for yourself, being a decent person, and figuring out what you want to be, not want will make you enough money to buy a stupid car. Geez the youth of today, I think I'm glad I wont be around when they take over.

Face76, thorn, PhilaChris and 6 others like this.
  7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Guys he's made one post, let it die lol.

Booker likes this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL, I have all those things and can still have awesome cars....

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This kind of advice is for anyone who loves cars and is struggling with career choices.

10. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    How DARE you insinuate this user is not a real person! Their email address is only from India and connected to other forums with usernames DevonMitchell and heathermorton. PatrickWest here is clearly a real person that just wants to buy a Ferrari before knowing what career he will have.

kes7u and paulchua like this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, hit me with the BAN HAMMER using the power of a thousand skinny Thors.....

tomc and paulchua like this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    better find the right woman with money......;)

tomc likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    There is a guy on here 'Dansage' ...maybe contact him for some advice.

He buys 2-4 Ferrari's a MONTH:rolleyes:

Into watches i think.

Otherwise ask mummy or daddy for some cash.

GatorFL likes this.
  14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If all else fails, try drug trafficking and prostitution. Guarantee you'll get a Ferrari in no time.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I don't know why I always answer these people, I should just leave it alone. After all this time on here I should know better.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The rest of us appreciate your answers.

aaronrgonz, BOKE, Carnut and 3 others like this.
  17. Jeremy Briant

Jeremy Briant Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Briant
    Just

18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Honestly you just have to be able to make the payment for some period of time. If you shop well, you can get most her all of your money back if you're careful.

I just sold my 2013 California, had it for about 20 months and got back all but $4,500 in resale. Of course I paid a lot of property tax in Virginia but I didn't pay for any repairs or any service. So my total cost of ownership was about $10,000 a year.

My Ferrari prior to that one was a 2008 599 GTB. I paid $130,000 for her and sold her for $140,000 about 18 months later, won contests like shooting fish in a barrel and essentially owned her for free.

I've never lost that much on a Ferrari. I've certainly never lost as much as any of my neighbors buying new or CPO BMWs or Mercedes. You have to shop well for the right car, have the money to be able to make the payments, and be willing and able to handle a repair if it comes up. I've been through half a dozen now and have never had an unanticipated repair. I've also never held one for more than two years. And invariably when I sell them I get a bunch of cash back that I may or may not roll into the next one.

There are plenty of people who will tell you that you have to wait until you've paid off your house, or until it's some percentage of your annual income, or until you can pay cash. **** all of that. If you have the balls to take a little risk, can shop carefully and can make the payments, go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  19. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    For those who didn't quite get Booker's post, the OP posted spam under guise of a query. The spam was edited out and now the post looks like a legit request for advice. But it is very unlikely the user will ever come back and, if he did, he wouldn't care about the answers. :cool:

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you Captain Obvious :D

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I've never had a post deleted by a moderator before...

:eek:

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  23. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All it takes is nudity or a 4 letter word :D

BOKE likes this.
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    why not just close the thread?

25. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Don’t choose a career for a car!! I wanted a Ferrari since I was 5 years old and at that age even dragged my mother to the dealerships... remember there are successful people in every business. There is a guy manufacturing straws out there worth 100 million dollars.. work hard save at least 10 % of what you make no matter what you are making. If what you want to do requires college go and if not don’t.. don’t go to school for something you will not want to do.

Too many young people do not know how to deal with money... I wrote a book on this a while back! You have to be disciplined. If you work hard and get to the point where you can afford a Ferrari You will truly appreciate it!

Bottom line WORK HARD AND SAVE!! It will come

paulchua likes this.