How much longer will Gasly last at Red Bull? Spoilers etc | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How much longer will Gasly last at Red Bull? Spoilers etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Maybe it's because he's usually closer to the Williams than he is to his teammate.

Bas likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Speaking from my personal experience only, and what I read online. I grew up in Zandvoort so no stranger to racing folk.

And top 5 places to live on this planet? According to who? Certainly not me. A Stasi state. No thanks.

Flavio_C and daytona355 like this.
  3. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    bring in Hulkenberg for Gasly. Verstappen is probably on his way out anyway, no way you have both Gasly and Kvyat/Albon in the top team.

Bas likes this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes I wonder if we'll get a shock announcement soon of Max going to Mercedes/Ferrari. It'll be a big shame for Red Bull and I think could well be the beginning of the end of them in F1. An enormous loss.

stavura and william like this.
  5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ

Remember when Will Buxton said Gasly was going to give all Max he could handle prior to the season starting?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.buxton-the-2019-team-mate-battle-im-most-excited-about.2Ys3NYI5xuODTh9nATMEnt.html

lol what a clown

stavura, LVP488 and Bas like this.
  6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Wow that's a terrible take. Max is handing him his ass.

Bas likes this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Flavio_C likes this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Haha, I'm curious now. Why it's a stasi state? And why it's not a good place to live? I confess I don't know much about it, only have been twice to Amsterdam and one time to Haarlem.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't want to go too much off topic, but lets just say the state is quite interested in watching your every move, telling you exactly what you're allowed to do. Extremely high taxed. When I returned to holland after being away for some 15 years I absolutely hated it. Holland is known to be ''free and liberal''. Quite the opposite. It's funny as a lot of people that've grown up there and still live there are really content. Good for them. But myself and most other expats from there that I know do not wish to return under any circumstances.

It's all very organized, so I guess to a point it's good to live if you don't mind being told what to do. But it's their way or no way.

Imagine living in the DMV.

daytona355 and Flavio_C like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Since Ricciardo's departure, Max has been their best asset for the future, that in the hope that Honda will finally crack it and give them a world beating power unit.
    Red Bull may then be able to take the fight to Mercedes, but I am not too optimistic about that yet.

Bas likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep...and if Verstappen where to leave, RBR haven't got anyone to replace him with. Imagine 2 gasly's in that car? Barely able to get points...

william likes this.
  13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.planetf1.com/news/marko-rubbishes-reports-gaslys-out-kyvats-in/

Helmut Marko says rumours claiming that Daniil Kvyat is set to replace Pierre Gasly sooner rather than later are “false”.

Gasly had a wretched home grand prix at the Circuit Paul Ricard, managing a measly point – and only because Daniel Ricciardo was penalised after the race.

Almost immediately rumours began doing the rounds suggesting, not for the first time this season, that Gasly’s days at Red Bull are numbered.

This time it is Toro Rosso driver Kyvat who is going to replace him.

Marko, however, says this isn’t true.

He told Motorsport-Magazin: “No, that’s a false rumour.

“Last week Nico Hulkenberg would replace him, now Daniil Kvyat is our substitute.”

The rumours were given a bit of weight by photographs of Marko in conversation with Kvyat’s manager, Nicolas Todt.

When that was put to the Red Bull advisor, he replied: “I talk to a lot of people, I also talked to his father Jean [Todt].”

But while Marko added that Red Bull “plan to end the season with Gasly”, he admits the driver “should be worried about his speed in France.”

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144379/kvyat-red-bull-return-wouldnt-be-a-loss-of-face

Toro Rosso Formula 1 team boss Franz Tost thinks it would not be a "loss of face" for Red Bull Racing if it took Daniil Kvyat back for 2020.

Pierre Gasly's ongoing struggle to get on the pace of Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen since his promotion from Toro Rosso for this season has prompted rumours about his future.

While Red Bull's motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has repeatedly dismissed talk that the team is considering a mid-season change, Gasly is likely to need to improve to guarantee his seat for next year.

With Toro Rosso's Alex Albon still in his rookie season, it is unlikely he would get the nod for next year as a potential replacement at Red Bull Racing; especially if the parent team concludes that Gasly was promoted too quickly.

That would therefore leave Kvyat as the most likely option to move up, having already gained experience previously at Red Bull during his tenure there in 2015 and early '16.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But although a return for Kvyat to the team that sacked him would be remarkable, Tost does not see a problem with it - and certainly thinks it would not be embarrassing.

"No, I don't see it as a loss of face," Tost said in an interview with the 'Starting Grid' podcast.

"The decisive factor in Formula 1 is performance. If a driver delivers the performance, why not bring him back - if you are convinced that it is the right choice?"

Tost is far from dismissive about the potential for Kvyat to move to Red Bull again, and he reckons the Russian would shine.

"Dany Kvyat is a Red Bull driver," added Tost. "He is currently on loan to Toro Rosso. We'll see how all this pans out in the future.

"I would be happy if Dany could return to a top team, thus Red Bull.

"Why? Because I think he has the speed. If all the circumstances there are right, he can perform very well."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kvyat originally spent one year at Toro Rosso in 2014 before getting a rapid promotion to Red Bull the following season following Sebastian Vettel's move to Ferrari.

After Kvyat made a poor start to the 2016 campaign, Red Bull sent him back to Toro Rosso in a swap with Verstappen ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix - which Verstappen won on his debut with the squad.

Kvyat continued to struggle for form and lost his Toro Rosso seat in late 2017, before getting a surprise recall this year after a season in a development role with Ferrari.

Tost added that he had not expected Gasly to have such a tough time at Red Bull given his experience of working with him at Toro Rosso.

"I'm a bit surprised myself because I think Pierre Gasly is a lot better and faster than he seems to be at the moment," Tost said. "But I don't know the exact circumstances."

Asked about the bad press that Gasly was getting, Tost said: "That's Formula 1! This is a high performance area. If you don't deliver the expected performance, you will be criticised. You have to be able to deal with that."

Earlier this year, Tost had suggested that Gasly's speed was being hurt by a lack of confidence with the rear end of the Red Bull.

Speaking to Autosport in late April, Tost said: "He can't cope with the car like that. The car is unpredictable for him, light on the rear axle, and that's something he doesn't like.

"He likes a stable rear axle. It's not because he lacks talent, but because he lacks experience.

"And two factors come together. First, Verstappen with his own level of natural speed. Second, that the car concept doesn't suit Gasly 100%.

"These two factors are enough to lose two or three hundredths of a second in every corner. If that's 15 corners, that's three or four tenths of a second."

Bas likes this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Maybe RIC would go back.....:eek::D

Bas and DF1 like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What about the other 6 to 8 tenths however:D

daytona355 likes this.
  17. DF1

It’s the tires LOL

Bas likes this.
  18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Pure lack of talent exposed by Maxine, gasly doesn’t have good days, he only has bad ones, hence, it’s not down to suitability to a circuit or setup, it’s across the board, regardless of what is tried to accommodate him. It’s a shame, as I thought he looked like he would be a good driver, but getting into a top team exposes some as the also rans they really were

Please note that the views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect nor imply that they are those of FChat or its affiliates. They are personal reflections only

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #44 Bas, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Yes I thought he was better than he's showing. French GP he was 1.48 seconds a lap slower than Max. A lap!! And this is not the exception....His best GP was the Canadian GP where he finished ''only'' 34 seconds behind, despite starting well in front! (not counting the Monaco GP where Verstappen was badly held up by Lewis).

Because of the Safety car he ''only'' finished 12 seconds behind max in Barcelona, but would actually be a full minute if we count his time behind him before the SC and the time after.

The gap is enormous.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I said from last year that Max would wipe the floor with Gasly, who IMHO never showed the same type of Brilliance that Max and Vettel showed at Toro Rosso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daytona355, stavura and Bas like this.
  21. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is a bad sign that the commentators recognized his ~1s/lap lack of pace compared to Max and (correctly) called out that he’d be lapped by race end. In the same equipment, barring mechanical issues, that’s embarrassing.

I think Albon will get the call - maybe for the last 1/3 of the season

daytona355 and pilotoCS like this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Red Bull have only themselves to blame. Neither Kvyat, nor probably Albon are Superior to Gasly, I think.
    In the past, Red Bull has sacked from Toro Rosso drivers like Buemi or Vergne who went on to do good in other series.

Senna1994 likes this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wonder how many times the winning driver has lapped his teammate, notwithstanding car/race issues for the lapped driver.

Albon is doing great so far, but not much experience. Big jump up to get the big boy seat suddenly...Kvyat has the experience. Who knows?
    Would like either. Can see Kvyat happening, pending performance for the remainder of the season, then Albon? Evaluate Albon against Gasly.

stavura and zygomatic like this.
  24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yeah anything would be better than Ghastly at this point.

25. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    they made a mistake letting Sainz go.

BUT.......it was a gamble. Sainz was out of contract and easily had a few good races last season. I would have stuck with Sainz considering Gaily had a single season in F1 but there might be more too it than we know.

Red Bull should run Gasily till the end of the season and evaluate by than. Maybe they should call up and old Red Bull drier or go for a wild card like Ocon or Hulkenburg