FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 20 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144514/ferrari-will-not-appeal-verstappen-overtake-decision

Ferrari will not appeal the outcome of the Formula 1 stewards' investigation into Max Verstappen's Austrian Grand Prix-winning move, despite believing the "wrong decision" was made.

Red Bull driver Verstappen made contact with Ferrari's Charles Leclerc while overtaking him for the lead at Turn 3 on the 69th lap of the 71-lap event, and went on to take the chequered flag in first place.

Leclerc felt his rival had broken the rules in forcing him off the track, and Verstappen's win remained provisional for several hours as stewards investigated the incident.

They ultimately reached a "no further action" verdict, ruling that neither driver was predominantly to blame for the clash.

Speaking as the verdict was being announced, Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said the Italian outfit did not agree with the ruling, but also stated that it was looking to move on from the situation "to support the sport".

daytona355, 635CSI and werewolf like this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Check out the wheelbase vs Ferrari and Merc. It has much better traction coming out of slow corners...when you don’t have as many long straits, they can negate the advantages of the other two contenders.

I think it’s more a case of Honda is paired with a credible chassis, but I don’t expect them to contend as aptly at silverstone, Monza, Spa, etc. Should do alright at Hungary and Singapore

Mark(study) likes this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Brilliant defending by LEC on the previous lap. Couldn't believe he came out ahead.

I really do feel though that he missed a perfect opportunity to set the tone for future battles with VER when he got passed by not tagging him and trying to spin him out instead of moving over. By moving over, yes he avoided damage but he also gave him the race (a race LEC would never win after being passed) and put in VER's mind that he will yield in similar situations in the future.

Maybe it's because he's a fair driver and instinctively wants to protect the car and finish the race but the championship is over and the race was lost so he really had nothing to lose in defending a move that called for that kind of defense. VER was ready to make contact and he should have replied in kind.

Oengus, crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes I do think RBR would've won with the Renault also.

But how many retirements would they have had...

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Nico Rosberg was pretty good at this during his championship year. Perhaps you should ask him?

ATBNM3 likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Even before complex rules were written regarding track behaviour (at the request of the drivers themselves) and stewards were introduced, making deliberate contact with another car was always a no-no.
    In an open-Wheel series, the consequences were considered too high to accept the risk.
    Now it has become too common (for my taste anyway), because racing has become so safe and the drivers well protected.
    The drivers have less restrain because there is hardly any physical outcome from hiting another car, bar a puncture maybe, or a bent track rod or else.
    Stirling Moss is maybe right when he claims that motor racing isn't dangerous enough today.

lagunacc and csmjr91090 like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

LOL, Max didn't hinder Charles. He was passing him. Had he better car. If anything Charles was hindering Max. And the incident was reported to the Stewards.

8. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    That's a very good point. It echos what Niki Lauda said as well years ago. Paraphrasing, you were rivals and competitors on track but that never made you consider taking someone out or racing them dirty, because back then there was a real possibility of severely hurting or killing another driver.

The rules are quite clear that contact which affects another car and forces them off track is not allowed, especially to gain a position. But as of late, that rule seems subject to interpretation, i.e. which driver or team is involved. I'll let the drivers decide if the rule should be changed or relaxed or how much contact is permissible to them, but until then, the FIA has to apply the rules consistently to be taken seriously.

william and werewolf like this.
  9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I haven't bothered to read thru all the comments today, but these are my thoughts.

How can a racer be in the lead and get penalized for making a move from the front, ie Vettel??

Then a guy attacks from behind, brakes late pushes the lead car off and makes contact with no penalty?? Verstappen.

The sport is a joke, no consistent penalties applied and they are all subjective to "spin the wheel" and guess the next stewards game.

For sure, at a point MadMax would pass, but he didn't do it fairly in this instance in my view.

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thank you, for actually reading the rules !!

"Deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track" is "strictly prohibited."

"Pushing or other contact resulting in a lasting advantage is strictly prohibited."

I must have missed the qualifiers LOL
    - the rules don't apply if you're "racing"
    - the rules don't apply if you have control of the car
    - the rules don't apply if the car dis-advantaged is red

have i missed any?

daytona355 and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    There are apparently former drivers who say it's OK to be "physical" on the track now.
    Like Martin Brundle, or Mario Andretti, etc... according to their comments on the air.

It wasn't OK in Lauda's time, when cars could ignite at any moment after contact.
    Like in other walks of life, there is less respect for other individuals in motor racing nowadays.

kes7u and csmjr91090 like this.
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    #487 pilotoCS, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    On the other side of the coin . . .

Charles was a sitting duck and he knew it. He tried valiantly to defend his position, but he knew he was toast. The incident in question involved nudging by both parties. Both came out in one piece and they proceeded with the faster car in front as it should be in racing.

Bottom line - a racing incident. A fair ruling by the stewards.

Now, if we may flash back to Montreal, there was no contact, but there was a penalty. Vettel left the track in the lead and rejoined in the lead with no contact. So if you want to talk about unfair and inconsistent, there's your talking point.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    The older F1 drivers long for the "good old days", when men were men ... and one or two of them died every season.

william likes this.
  14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Not even close to being appropriate to this discussion.

Bas and stever like this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Does not matter. Toro is the test bed. Most teams do not have that luxury. The Renault seems a touch better this year....maybe???

william likes this.
  16. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    And sex was safe

lagunacc, ATBNM3 and werewolf like this.
  17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    No I don’t believe Max would have had a penalty even if it was “more” than it was. It’s not genius, it’s simply breaking rules. It fit the script so they didn’t apply the rules. It’s that simple. LeClerc is a class act and is genuinely brilliant. He will be a Ferrari World Champion.

lagunacc likes this.
  18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I think if you have rules like this, they need to be applied with consistency. I am ok with Max’s pass, but if the rule is applied correctly, he suffers a 5 second penalty and doesn’t win.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jcurry, csmjr91090, werewolf and 2 others like this.
  19. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I only got to see a part of the race today. Ferrari's pit crew looked like a cub bear picking fleas off his ass with boxing gloves on.

Oengus, perrinnation and william like this.
  20. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You just described an Adrian Newey chassis as 'credible' ?? :)

ricksb likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But how far can we tolerate this behaviour ?
    Also, how can the rules be applied with consistency if we have different sets of stewards at each race?

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Even Newey designed bad cars in his career.

23. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Of course...but I don't think the RB15 is one of them.

24. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Evidently, revenge for 7 years earlier (watch from ~24 seconds to ~ 1 minute, 15 seconds)

cmos, Thecadster and ATBNM3 like this.
  25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #500 werewolf, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    right ... newer rules aren't intended to have anything to do with safety :rolleyes:

Perhaps you agree with Stirling Moss (quoted/paraphrased above), that racing today needs to be more dangerous ... is that closer "to being appropriate to this discussion"?