Classiche Annual Inspection | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Classiche Annual Inspection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WCH, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Rossocorsa1 and pilotoCS like this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for posting. I’ve never seen a white or yellow book before.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I could be mistaken, but I don’t think Ferrari gives out any of these books.
    I believe car owners must buy them from Ferrari and being a for-profit company, I wouldn’t be surprised if you offer enough money, they’ll produce and sell you a book in any color you want.

turbo-joe and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You are partially correct. Yes, Classiche Certification isn’t free. There is both an inspection/application fee, then the fee for certification/red book. The inspection and application fee is paid to the dealer. The fee for certification and the red book to Ferrari is only paid if your car successfully qualifies.

You’re wrong that they will just sell you a book or will produce it in any color.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    And that “successful qualification” can also be achieved with enough money, right ?

Just out of curiosity, can you be certain I’m wrong ? Have you tried ?

Besides, aren’t the aforementioned inspection/application/certification/color book/etc fees the accumulative purchase price of it anyway ?

And what’s few more stacks of high note Euros/$$s/?? to have it in color one prefers, perhaps color matched to the car it's purchased for ? Wouldn't that be cool ?

Perhaps my observations of life and human behavior in general is off, but last I checked, just about any/every individual, business, company or corporation is usually willing to do/produce just about anything if enough funding is being made available.
    Why would any car manufacturer be different ?

turbo-joe and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

- Yes, “successful qualification” can be achieved with enough money, assuming the owner invests the needed money into the car to have the correct specifications for certification accomplished, which is required for a car to achieve Classiche accreditation.

- If your car is awarded certification, you pay one fee to the dealer. In my case, the dealer explained upfront to me what the inspection and application fee would be (which included labor and time for removing certain body panels, photography, application submission, etc.). They also explained what the additional amount would be if the car was awarded certification for the red book. In the event my car did not qualify, I would pay the inspection and application fee fee but not the fee for the red book. Obviously, I would also be given a list of needed corrections required for certification if that was needed. My car did not need anything done to it so I paid one full price once the Classiche committee granted certification.

- I suppose the fringe cynic would dream up absurd “everything has a price” scenarios. Fine, if it makes you happy, I’ll grant you, if someone with endless financial resources committed to Ferrari an infusion of funds at any price of their asking for a certification book in another color, maybe they’d listen. I suppose Apple may also consider altering their corporate production and policies if the price was right. Who knows.

If Ferrari makes a different color book for one of their most elite clients, more power to them, although I’m unaware of them doing so. Again, big deal. I was obviously referring to their standard policies and procedures regarding how Classiche Certification operates. The truth is, for those that hate the whole concept no logical explanation matters.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #209 miurasv, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Nobody who subjects and pays to have their original (20+ year old) specification Ferrari to a Classiche Attestation is going to request that the book be in a different colour other than Red, as this would naturally raise questions about the car not being to original specification, and as it last left the factory, as only the well publicised Red Book certifies this. In short, having the book in a different colour would defeat the object of the attestation. Why on earth would Ferrari, for any money, agree to this? It would be demeaning to the Red Book attestation/programme.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Totally agree. I have two and I certainly wouldn’t want them any other color than red. Understand, this has nothing to do with colors of books, etc. There is simply a group that hates the whole Classiche Certification idea altogether. That’s all it is.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Do you realize you just insulted the majority of people here? Based on my interactions with vintage Ferrari owners over the years, most understand Ferrari Spa has always been interested in the dollar first and foremost. Nothing wrong with that, but it pays to be realistic when dealing with Ferrari.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ???
    Interesting outlook of those merely offering different viewpoints on a subject.
    Reminiscent of some political or religious secularisms.

Lowell, lgs and Admiral Goodwrench like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    As you said, just offering different view points. Everyone’s entitled to their own.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I know many vintage owners who’s cars are Classiche Certified. It’s just a nice addition to a cars provenance.

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're the one banging the drum. You like Classiche. We all get it. But, keep in mind, there are many who don't agree with you. It's a big wide world.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I simply pointed out a well known fact that many vintage Ferrari’s are Classiche Certified. Nothing wrong with that. I have no issues with anyone expressing their views on the topic. This is an open forum. Nobody requires you to bang your drum in opposition on this thread. Feel free to state your thoughts and I’ll do the same. If you’re so repulsed than by all means, move on.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're the one saying things like, "...fringe cynics." My suggestion is if you want to convince more people your way is the right way, you might back it off a bit.

Lowell likes this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I certainly believe that to be the case, which is perfectly fine. For the sake of clarity, “fringe”, meaning a small group, and “cynics”, meaning those who have a negative and/or condescending view of something. I don’t see why that’s insulting.

Though it has its shortcomings, Classiche Certification is well recognized, very successful and is affixed to many great Ferrari’s, and growing. Therefore, is it insulting to the multitude of very reputable owners who have their cars certified, many of which are highly regarded collectors? Nobody’s required to apply for it, and you’re certainly not required to like it. You’ve beat your drum throughout this thread plenty. You might want to back off a bit.

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    You demonstrate an amazing lack of self-awareness. You are EXACTLY what you bemoan in this post. I advised you many months ago to back off on the name-calling/invectives which you have ignored.

BMWairhead, Lowell and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #221 Rossocorsa1, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    What name calling? There has be none on my end. You saying I lack self awareness, which I could take as insulting, but I’m just here expressing my thoughts on the threads topic. You hate Classiche, which is no secret. You have every right to your opinion. I don’t begrudge you for that.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dude, if you only knew. Oh well.

Lowell likes this.
  22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Reading comprehension?? See post 213. Or is your M.O. being deliberately obtuse?

Lowell likes this.
  23. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Ferrari Classiche is a complete cluster f! I can’t believe no one talks about this. I prefer not to get into details but in many cases it’s a subjective process that has no consistency in their actions/requirements. Sure getting a red book for your 20-25 yr old car is a breeze normally but try to get it done for the 50+ old car. You’ll be asked for some off the wall tasks to complete all designed to line their pockets. It’s a money grab for a large degree and with not much caring about preservation. I heard this for years and only recently experienced it personally.

Rosey, bernardo66, amerikalei and 5 others like this.
  24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    There’s no need to further ridi
    Always good to hear from a fellow downdraft owner. I respect the fact that you don’t want get into details but it would be great to learn more about your (or from others) experiences and what exactly happened that made the process so challenging, particularly given that you reference having a much older car. My cars are 30 and 20 years old respectively, and the process was rather smooth, so that’s my frame of reference. If others can share what happened in their actual application process, such as dealer, requirements asked, did you comply to those requirements, was your car ultimately certified, etc., I think it would be for everyone’s benefit that’s interested in Classiche.