FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 25 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Please do not adjust your TV sets..apologies for the strange happenings in Austria.

Normal service will resume at Silverstone ;)

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    So it will be Ham, Bottas and Seb.

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yep unfortunately, unless Leclerc /Max can mix it up again.

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Silverstone - This "should" be a strong circuit for the SF team, I thinkl they will get 2nd and 3rd on the grid with LH on pole. Will be interesting to see the quali time for this year!

Go a feeling CL may just edge out SV and LH hopefully

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    SAdly I think this track has mercedes written all over it. Too many long, flowing high speed corners that'll suit the high downforce Mercedes perfectly.

Unless it's really hot I can't see Ferrari doing much.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Corner speed is more important than top speed at Silverstone.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The Ferrari is not bad at fast corners, so at least it's going to be OKish at the 2nd and 3rd sectors. Also they're bringing new floor. But we'll need heat and some luck to win. If Bottas is in one of his off days, I'd settle for a 2nd.

One thing is certain: we won't get any mercy from the stewards.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hopefully (in a nice way) I hope you are both wrong:) Weather will be a big factor though.

Their tyre selection for the race is ambitious with a full compliment of red tyres so it looks like they may follow last years strategy.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    That’s mostly an issue of consistency on the part of officials, and admittedly, the optics are bad bc Ferrari were on the losing end of 2 decisions in a short time frame while being on both sides of the incident.
    Officials have to get on the same page and make decisions based in the spirit of what the rules purpose is, not trying to get it right by the letter of the rule.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very much hope I'm very wrong, of course....:)

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Gosh, I hope not.
    Normal is good for Merc and no one else.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I wouldn’t call Seb a lock for anything this year.

Hocakes likes this.
  13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Honda
    Well, at least the Honda is not blowing up!

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Hamilton is always in great shape at Silverstone so I agree with pole. Mercedes struggles with hot temperature so a lot will be determined by track temp. I expect Mercedes to be on point in typical weather conditions but wouldn't mind hotter temps and a more competitive race.

Don't forget that Silverstone is 100 m above sea level so cooling less of an issue than at 700 m last week.

william likes this.
  15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They don’t know their arse from their elbow....FIA are sad people.

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  18. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
  19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Kimi looks like he’s never seen a woman before.
    Strange pic .
    I met Giovinazzi last month and he was so normal, down to earth, comfortable in his own self.

Bas likes this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "Leave me alone. I know what I am doing".

Bas likes this.
  21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes are direct with their issues and sharing with the fans - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144571/mercedes-reveals-how-car-design-caused-cooling-woe

Mercedes has revealed the cooling problems that made its Austrian Grand Prix "painful" were a legacy of the fundamental design of its Formula 1 car being too "optimistic".

Valtteri Bottas finished third while championship leader Lewis Hamilton finished off the podium for the first time this season in fifth, as Mercedes 100% winning start to the season ended in extremely hot conditions at the Red Bull Ring.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff referred to the car's cooling as its "Achilles' heel" after the race and said that the team was "carrying the problem" since the start of 2019.

In Mercedes' regular post-race Pure Pitwall video, trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin has outlined how the pursuit of aggressive packaging has led to the W09 having a cooling system that has "underdelivered" in the hottest temperatures.

"Fundamentally the car doesn't have big enough radiators," said Shovlin.

"And that's something that we were a bit optimistic with how much we could get out of the cooling system.

"It's underdelivered to what we hoped we could achieve, and it's meant that we are carrying this issue where in the very hot races we will be struggling to keep everything cool enough - principally to keep the power unit cool enough that we don't do any damage to it."

Teams deploy various bodywork alterations in warmer temperatures to try to keep cooling under control.

You can increase the amount of cooling you get out of the car by opening up the bodywork exits," explained Shovlin.

"In Austria it was 35 degrees, that actually put us at the upper end of what we could achieve just by opening the car up.

"So, we were on limit. When you get to that point you are really limited in your options."

Bottas and Hamilton were hamstrung during the race and defeated by both Ferraris and the Honda-powered Red Bull of Max Verstappen.

They were unable to attack as the grand prix developed because of the extent they were trying to manage temperatures.

Shovlin said they were lifting-and-coasting for "around 400 metres per lap" - almost 10% of the Red Bull Ring layout.

"That is why [Bottas and Hamilton] they were so compromised on performance," Shovlin added.

"You can also turn the engine down a bit, then it will generate less heat, but you've got less power and you are slower on the straights.

"So, it was definitely a significant limitation in Austria."

After the race, Wolff said Mercedes was pushing to resolve the problem as soon as possible - indicating that despite the cause being linked to a fundamental element of the car's design, it does not have to be a permanent feature.

Shovlin added: "We are working on systems - we were working on them before Austria - to try and improve this problem and we should be in a better position.

"But, it all really goes down to the fundamental design of the car, where in the push for very, very tight packaging, we have ended up being undercooled overall."

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

- Pitwall Mercedes post Austria debrief

william likes this.
  23. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think it is more like, "St. Pauli Girls give me a sweater instead of beer? C'mon, where's the beer!"

24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's what I like at Mercedes; the way they analyse problems and work to solve them.
    They are good at damage limitation when there is a spanner thrown in the work.
    They react with calm and methodically.
    That's far from the headless chicken scene so often seen in some other team I won't name.

DF1 likes this.