New Ford GT | Page 89 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Who sets the price of the car?

Its called the FREE MARKET.

The only thing the Ferrari deal restricts is that in a certain time (usually a year) you cannot make a profit flipping the car. You can still sell it to the dealer (and they can make the profit if there is any).

The reason for this is to prevent flippers who are only interested in profit as a motive to buy it while people who really want the car wait longer and justifies dealers not marking up brand new cars to true market value.

Why would the owner sell the car back at MSRP? Easy. I did it twice. I did it to get a new car. Could I have made another 10 grand or so selling it in the open market? Maybe. But no new car from Ferrari.

And Ferrari just has the first right. That doesn't mean they will buy the car back. If its not really hot they will say "you're on your own". All they want is to be asked first.

But in Ford's case, this makes no sense. They put everyone through a vast screening process and rejected a lot of people who wanted one.

What they do with the car should be their choice. If they think they are an intentional flipper then don't sell it to them.

Once again we complain about Ferrari's policies -- then give a pass to Ford who actually SUE their customers for the audacity of selling their cars? I don't think so.

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    OK.
    My question then..is….

I buy an F8 for $330K (MSRP). A year later I want to sell it and F8's equipped like mine are trading for $390K. I go to the dealer and say I'll sell it to you for $370K (so they can make some money on the same car for the 2nd time). They say no, we'll give you MSRP. I offered them the car first, they turned it down. What does this do to me on future new Ferrari purchases?

3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    and not street legal to boot!

I still want one.

ghibliman likes this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

$800,000 more for an additional 53hp?

6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    NO ... you're forgetting that cool air scoop :)

Seriously ... it also looks like Ford is enhancing/improving all the cooling systems, for that extra 53hp. They must REALLY be pushing that V6 to its limits ...

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Right to first refusal involves three parties. Owner, potential buyer, and option holder (i.e. dealer). If a potential buyer wants to pay $1 million for that $330k MSRP car, the owner has to first give the option holder (dealer in this case) the option to buy it at $1 million rather than to the potential buyer. Dealer then decides what they want. If they decline, the potential buyer will get it. If dealer wants it, potential buyer loses.

Btw, this Ford GT is a gimmick. Just run a damn factory car in IMSA next season under privateer team.

TheMayor likes this.
  8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's par for the course in the exotic industry. Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren... they all sell $1M+ bodykit cars, so nothing terribly odd about this.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Who says they'd allow you to? The FGT IMSA cars are more or less a factory effort aren't they?

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    This season is the last factory team. Customers next season. Whoever will get invited to buy this car should be in good enough standing to run a customer team. Kinda like Ferrari customer teams and those team owners getting LE cars.

11. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1.2M for a 700hp car, today ... no matter who's selling it!

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Doesn't toyota have 700hp minivan. :) Scary when 700 hp is not mind boggling.

I get an adrenalin rush when I floor my BBi at 4000rpm in 3rd or 4th gear. It's only 340 hp.

I'm debating on two 500 hp cars: '05/06 GT or '13 vette convert w/ 427 (LS7). Both have way more power than I can ever exploit fully, not that I won't try once in awhile.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Exactly. I’m glad you don’t have short man syndrome.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Neither would I, but no cars in this price range are priced on value. It's just about having something unique.

I would point out though that hp becomes pretty irrelevant to the non-pro after a certain point. I think they said with BoP, they were running 480hp in the NFGT at LeMans last this month.So would be 60% more HP and more aero than the cars at LeMans.

Do you really need more than 700 hp in this kind of car?

15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #2216 werewolf, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    In the nineties, i drove a Mustang Cobra with about 240hp. Loved it! Who could ever need more?
    Until i owned a Porsche Turbo S ... about 450hp. Crazy speed! My search for performance was over!
    Until i drove and owned 600 hp on the street ... surely, that's the pinnacle of a lifetime. Isn't it?
    But then ... wow ... LaFerrari with 900+ hp ...
    My favorite "fun" car now, on the street? Lamborghini Huracan (4wd) "massaged" by Underground Racing ... about 1200hp (with pump gas).

The conclusion is simple: power is relative, there's no absolute "limit" to what you "need". More is always better :)

of2worlds, GuyIncognito and jm2 like this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Or.............there's no such thing as 'too much horsepower' or having too many cubic inches.

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Agreed!

It occurs to me that just about every owner of a Fiat Abarth firmly believes that they have all the power, all the performance they would EVER want or need. Nothing against them, or the car ... which i like quite a lot, by the way ... but i wouldn't pay seven (or even six) figures for that level of performance nowadays, either.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Even the 12C was too powerful to be fun unless you're willing to risk getting a ticket going 50+ over the limit. Once it began getting difficult to apply throttle for more than a couple seconds, it just got boring.

Only takes one ticket going 120 in a 45 before you get a reckless driving.

19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Don't need to use full-throttle all the time ;) Want to accelerate at a rate equal to any 400hp car? The 1200hp car can certainly do that ... any day, all day. But there's plenty more available, when requested. No loss at all, in the "fun factor", compared to a lower hp car!

But, yes, we'll just disagree.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Question, do you drive it with or without nannies "ON"?

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    New toys for the rich.

Nothing wrong with that but you would have thought Budweiser Ford would stay out of the Wine Tasting Club.

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Why? The customer signed a contract and made an agreement

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure you can though because HP = torque x revs. If you want to accelerate like a 400 hp car, you won't be able to rev it very quickly.

I mean, sure, you can match any acceleration curve, but if you have to feather the throttle very gently it's not terribly fun or exciting.

24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Yes, HP = (Torque)x(RPM).

Less throttle means less torque, at any RPM ... thereby matching the lower HP of the lower performance car, at any RPM.

Trust me, fast cars can be driven at part throttle ... they do it all the time. Put a small block under the accelerator pedal, if it scares you.

But this is getting silly. We're on a webpage for high-performance cars ... arguably, the highest performance cars. Not very many enthusiasts would argue that more power is a bad thing. I'm happy that Ford found 50 more HP for the new(er) Ford GT. I just don't think it's worth 3x the (already non-competitive) price.

paulchua likes this.