Chicago and Great Lakes region events 2019 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Chicago and Great Lakes region events 2019

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by F1tommy, Dec 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Thought supercar Saturday wasn’t a thing anymore?

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    A few good cars listed for the Historical races at Road America including 11 F1 cars and several nice Porsche, Ferrari, Ford GT and Lola prototypes. Things show up not listed , so this is not a complete list. Not nearly as good as when JM ran it. They are more into large amounts of entries rather than quality, but some quality cars show up anyway since they love Road America.

https://www.roadamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/WIC_BATCH_7-1_BY_GROUP.pdf

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    This is going to sound incredibly dour, but it’s meant more as a commentary on the state of vintage cars as a whole. Joe was an enthusiast, Redmann et al are business people. The Como Inn was always a spur of the moment car gathering because Joe wanted car people to have a place to gather. His house in Lamont became a standard Father’s Day stop. I can’t believe he ever made any money in his car shop but he still wanted the Knaus dealership when Karl decided to get out of Ferrari’s. I’ve always felt Joe got screwed by RA on the historic races deal. Likewise, I think the number of people who can afford to be vintage drivers has declined over the years. Dr. Js Devin went from an old race car to a 1/4 million dollar collectible as one example. Add to that, how many people are coming into the sport/hobby in general? My dad and I raced an f production fiat in the early 90s and they had to run e,f, g, and h together to get even close to a full field. That said, sadly it won’t be to Elkhart Lake this year due to a family commitment

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    interesting post, but keep in mind that people that wanted Model A cars and 57 chevies is dying off, Its a cycle that I feel will eventually happen with all cars. GT4 anyone?

7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I absolutely agree with you about street cars. We are seeing the 60s cars sunset and the rise of the 80s and JDM cars in my opinion. However, race cars and vintage racing pose a different problem. When Joe started the historic races in 83, people were racing 20-30 year old cars (as a general rule) and other than the F1 and Can-Am cars, most people who had better than average driving abilities, could drive them quickly and safely. I’m not sure the same can be said today. Maybe I’m being a pessimist, but how many people can actually drive a mid 90s IMSA or NASCAR race car? I think even C4and C5 GT-1 vettes are probably too powerful for most drivers today. An 86c March? Maybe 5,000 people in the world are actually competent? My hope is that amateur racing continues, and when our daughter is out of college (seven years from now) I will be able to go racing again. We shall see.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Probably true about the race cars. But all racing cars cost bux when they are running and when they are not. And I’m sure that’s gonna limit people getting into the vintage side. And besides it’s a lot of work to go racing. I’wiinder what will happen. Prices eventually go down on sone vintage race cars? I’d love to still be racing. Starting In Early 90s I started in superbike road racing was taking home under $400 a week. Was broke every weekend. Raced SCCA in a Bilstien cup 1980
    VW rabbit for 2 yrs. Epic battles I might add. Was a Autobahn member for 10 yrs driving anything I could get my hands on and that people would ask me to drive. Spent big bux. Yeah it would be great to go back. Vintage 360 challenge ooo yea

JP365 likes this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Actually looks like good weather today from forecast. I’m heading to supercar event. Barrington

10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Moving slowly this morning, but I’ll be there

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Cool. I should b there around 9

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Today was my first time at Supercar Saturdays. Lots o cars and people was really fun. But damn was it hot

13. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Dang, was in wauconda at 10am and was going to head down there but saw it was another 30 mins out. Looks like a good turnout

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think so. I had a Maserati cap on today.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    did JP introduce us by his car? Cause if we did I guess I didn't understand who you were.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Yes that was me. I thought you said you had the Dino, and since I only saw one Dino I figured it had to be you.

That show is pretty big for new "supercars", although I like the older cars better as they are rarer and I think better looking.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    cool, well sorry I didn't get to talk to you more my son was distracted with the LEGO VW lol
    But nice to meet you

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m heading to rise and drive this morning

20. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I’ll be there around 10. Going for a run first.

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  22. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    There were 2 308 Dino cars at Rise and Drive this morning

A red one and and antique white one

Also a yellow Portofino

There was also a black F car from the Colombo era

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yup look at my Avatar

24. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    And I’m the black 365 gt 2+2. My avatar is the dent in my back bumper. Sorry I didn’t introduce myself. Next time.

absostone likes this.