Scud over CS and Speciale Chris Harris | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Scud over CS and Speciale Chris Harris

Discussion in '360/430' started by smdzucladoc, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I see that corrosion too

but, according to my 200+ bushing dissembly experience, that corrosion isn't happening on every bushing. I'd say, 30% of them. and those are with cars that do outings in the rain/snow. I have a 360 that never goes into the rain and the insert (I called it the metal part) is like new inside!

I am no pro, so I think I might benefit from your expertise, can we just clean corrosions and keep using them?

2. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I’m happy to be talking with someone with experience and not just “keyboard knowledge!”

By cleaning you introduce two major issues:

1. You’d reduce the diameter and as a result you’d induce slop. That would either make the suspension terrible, such as my current situation with worn Sphericals. The slop will also wear out the “bushing” much faster.

2. You might affect the circularity and cylindricity, which would also affect suspension in negative ways as well.

3. Lastly, one lesson I learned when I used to restore beetles and build rock crawlers.. when you remove rust or caked on dirt, grease, etc. sometimes you expose issues that were covered up. For example I cleaned 50 years worth of dirt and grease off a beetle suspension and when I reassembled it things were a bit off and I had a few leaks that the grease caked on was preventing. Counter intuitive but it’s happened to me often. Removing rust brings out pits. Those pits will now rust again and grow deeper and weaken the part more.

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

make sense.

I understand that the polyurethane will last longer than OEM, but isn't it going to introduce some squeeking noise

I installed some polyurethane bushing onto my 300zx and it squeaks sometimes

Sky Hye likes this.
  4. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Correct. Poly will squeak. There’s a special grease used. That’s why I use a Teflon sleeve in my bushings so that there’s no Poly to metal contact. No noise or wear.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So do you use a grease or teflon sleeve or both? I hear the grease is a nightmare after a few track sessions picking up dirt.

Sky Hye likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Damn. I’m a bit late to this thread and video. Chris Harris made my day with two bold statements:

“I’ll take the SCUD over the CS, Speciale, and Pista”

“The world has gone bonkers. We need another Lotus Elise moment... a bit of power, get back to what driving’s all about”

Been sayin’ this for years. Here’s a shameless plug of my “Lotus Elise moment”

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    That's the issue I'm encountering currently while Developing high quality Spherical bushings. I think the issue is because Poly grease is so thick, it retains whatever sticks to it. Aside from Diffrential oil for Rock Crawlers, its the next worst lubricant I've dealt with. My parts have a tight fit, which helps prevent most debris. Aside from that, I dont use excessive grease. I wonder if there's a boot i can design for track users.

8. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That car already exists and its Italian. I love my Alfa 4C.

LightGuy and LARRYH like this.
  9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    so true it could have almost been the new Dino ...almost.....

10. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Interesting. What would you propose? A different badge?

11. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm totally with him on the "singular tone" of the Speciale's engine and on the speed/gearbox deficiencies of the CS. And to me the Speciale looks like a 458 with plastic surgery gone wrong while the CS is beautiful but the front end is a tad Hot Wheel-ish.

Scud is the one. There is also something very special about the side profile of a Rosso Corsa Scuderia Coupe.

12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'll take NA, manual, no driver's aid, and 700 less lbs thank you.

LARRYH and plastique999 like this.
  14. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You are describing a VW bug. There are still some kicking around. You should get one.

Sky Hye likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I do need a classic in my life.

LARRYH and Sky Hye like this.
  16. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    62 and below beetles were the most fun I had in a car. So quirky too.

LARRYH and ShineKen like this.
  17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Lotus was and will always will be my first love.
    True driver’s car

Sent from my 16M

ShineKen likes this.
  18. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Now I’m curious. I know u used to race them

plastique999 likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ahh, but where to acquire one?

tifosi101 likes this.
  20. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    Interesting debate.

Personally love the rawness, drive and sound of the CS. It’s the more visceral, Wild, seat of your pants experience. And yes, driven them all, except the Pista.

All personal opinion at the end of the day regardless.

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's great to see them all together like that. What a collection!

I noted the lack of confidence in the 430 Scuderia's brakes which made me raise an eyebrow. They should actually be around 20% better so I'm sure something wasn't right. This feeling of lack of stopping power can be caused by numerous issues not to mention poor running in of new ccm pads or not enough high speed stops to remove glazing. Maybe too much driving around at low speeds. I've also heard of quite a few different Scuderias which suffered from poor braking and they had to have replacement ccm master cylinders. Maybe a faulty batch? One of my friends experienced exactly same issues. In any case the braking performance should be more than excellent on the Scuderia if its performing as it should. I also found the RS19 and RS29 pagid compounds work really well on those stoppers. Not to mention using good fluid like Castrol SRF. He may also be feeling weight differential between the two sample cars too, again varying specs can make a huge difference here. And then further from that the condition of the tires too. Endless variables make comparing so damn difficult!

The performance is definitely quite a bit quicker but not as much as some on here think. I would again estimate around 20% differential which makes its presence felt more above 100mph so again in give or take driving with friends in convoy you may not appreciate diffence quite so much. Obviously you could argue both ways that it's a big difference or not such important however it's performance is totally eclipsed by modern post 2012 Turbocharged era cars anyway by significantly more than 20%. Is that important? Not really. They are still plenty quick enough out on the road. If your jumping in and out of different much higher performance cars you concentrate on the experience too, not just outright grunt on straights.

I felt a very good point came out too with regards to overall lasting impression of driving both cars. That is the Scud feels more like a polished road car that's been made to feel sportier. The CS feels more akin to an old challenge race car with stiffer setup, noise, angrier, snarlier and much less polished overall. Drive a real challenge race car and you'll appreciate it's actually on a whole different level again but it's certainly up there as an road car experience.

tifosi101 likes this.
  23. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Lost all credibility when he complained of the brakes in a scuderia. That’s much improved over the CS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1scud likes this.
  24. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    AFAIK, they are the exact same brakes as are most of the suspension components.

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    “just a bit quicker...”