The BORA | Page 25 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    The car in the picture just had the clearest view of the rear bumper - I don't know the serial number. The pictures I have of 766 are confusing: two are of the car owned (at least at one point) by Rick Russo in your neighborhood. That one looks like a stock 'US 74 but with 17" BBS wheels. Another car in a dealer ad was claimed to be 766 also, but it had a Euro bumper conversion and the original style flat hubcaps. It was also darker, but could have been the indoor lighting. The car above seems to be a completely stock '74, though like Rick's, it has a light interior.

Regarding cooling, I have only a vented one to look at, but I see that the area behind the radiator on the bottom of the car is also open. That would have provided an air exit on the non-vented cars.

2. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Well, here's a thing. I just found the car in the picture and it was sold in Florida and claimed to be 766. Maybe Rick's car with the original wheels reinstated?

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I purchased #766 from Rick in 2007. That car was very nice with its original paint and interior, but with an aftermarket set of 17" inch wheels and cam covers that had been painted with red wrinkle finish. In my opinion those modifications were totally wrong for such an original car. Luckily he still had the original wheels, which I put back on, and then repainted the cam covers the proper color.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Correct. Unfortunately that very small opening is NOT enough to expel the heat produced.
    Thus the remedy described in my earlier post.

Regards.

5. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Elliott.
    Earlier on in the forum you questioned where the air exits after it is drawn through the radiator
    On my car the air exits through the 2 rectangular openings towards the front of the car. See the attached Onedrive link
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlWCXynebGrOrhOfkp2FJh8awFh1
    The square opening was concealed with a an air scoop which i subsequently removed to allow more air to escape.
    As most of you will know the over heating issue is still work in progress. Just waiting for the warmer months to see the results.
    Incidentally the heads have now been re-torqued the cooling system checked for any combustible air entering and the carburettors adjusted.
    There was a blockage found in the return line from the top of the radiator to the tank which has me puzzled as that line was definitely clear when the car was reassembled.

6. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Ivan i have to congratulate you for the effort in documenting the authenticity give for the Bora. Its a masterpiece which i enjoyed reading..
    I would love to get my hand on some of the missing decals for my car.that you have shown.
    Greg

7. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005

Fascinating. Totally different arrangement to mine.

Also---you can pick up most of those decals from MIE.

Regards.

8. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    PS---
    Two decals MIE does not have are the ones found inside the gas tank cap lid and the one inside the expansion tank little door
    Anybody know where to find these?

Thanks.

9. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel

10. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Thanks for the pictures. They show something I have never seen before. Well, having looked at your picture of the square opening I see that the radiator did duct into the wheel well as someone previously told me. I'm wondering which cars had that ducting? Did all the cars before the deck lid venting have the same outlets for radiator air or was it only some of the cars and other cars without the deck lid venting had a different solution? It is so fascinating to see the evolution of changes in the Bora as it seems that, in the case of the Bora, some things were not fully thought out and customer feedback caused changes as production progressed.

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Try Steve Claassen, Tropical Sportscar, 954-821-1733, [email protected]

Ivan

12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Brilliant.
    Thanks, Ivan.

Regards.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't know who put those on, perhaps Gary Simeon or maybe the previous owner who also had nitrous installed?
    The idea for those came from Ted Bonney, you can find it mentioned in one of the old MIE periodicals. Who knows if it helps?
    A proper 2" thick upgraded radiator and a much better set of fans probably do a lot more. Has 1044 had the original radiator upgraded?

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Kudos,
    An authenticity guide like you offer Ivan, would be a very welcome resource!

I have definitely seen a photo of a Bora with those fins before, but without knowing the chassis number of the photo I saw, I couldn't say it wasn't a photo of your exact Bora. I'll see if I can relocate the photo.
    Having said that, the "box out" in the tunnel that accommodates the width of the fins make it at least *appear* original.
    - Art

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    You make a good point. The tunnel seems to have been purposely made to accommodate the fins; or were the fins added by a prior owner taking advantage of an existing space? Does the tunnel of your Bora not have this indentation? It would have been a lot of work to retrofit this floor indentation after the car was built.

I’ll be curious to learn if you come up with another Bora with these fins.

Ivan

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Still has the original Bosch fans. This is something I should upgrade, especially since the fans are not visible.

Ivan

boralogist likes this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Next time I'm out at my remote garage Ill check to see if I have the same "box out".

I beleive Ted Bonney's car had copper fins soldered on both tubes for the full length. His was a much earlier car. But maybe Gary Simeon did this while he owned it?
    MIE should have a copy of that periodical. I don't remeber if it's in one of their gloss magazines or one of the Tech Tip-Market updates they also published.

18. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Gentlemen---

Although, after 30 years of relentless work, I have achieved satisfactory drivability at 100 degree F ambient temperatures in city traffic with AC on----
    I have decided to implement the cooling fin modification you have discovered, as well!

However, instead of soldering fins etc on, I am leaning towards replacing the entire 'hot' line with a custom, all copper, finned pipe!

All comments very welcome!

Thanks.

19. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi all. I own 990 and the underside of my rear hatch is painted black. Just finished the paint and body.(it was resprayed in the 90s a very cheep red, of course!) It came out fantastic. I’ve changed the color from Argento to black after seeing a photo showing how much the chrome and stainless popped against the dark color. My car has the oval cutouts in the front valance. I have changed to the euro bumpers and have purchased the oem ansa duel tip exhausts. Does any one know what type of muffler system was on the euro cars? I would like a throaty sound but not obnoxious. I really appreciate all the info on this board regarding these fantastic, unique automobiles. Thanks. Jim.

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Really like your work---agree with the color also!
    Euro side lights a very sensitive touch---sadly ignored by most!

You can pick up the Euro exhaust from MIE---welding and adjusting the gorgeous ANSA tips will not be easy---
    But I personally guarantee that it is worth the hassle!

Once finished you will swear you fitted a larger engine!

BTW---make sure to ditch the rear silencer boxes---utterly useless and very heavy junk!

Also given your commitment to doing things right please make sure you also get the Euro headers---also from MIE, among others!

You will love her sound!

Enjoy!

Regards.

21. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I'll be darned. My 1975 Bora #932 has the same cavity 'indentation' in the tunnel underneath in which those fins are placed. My Bora does not have those cooling fins.

- Art

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I suspect that they all do and that it has zip to do with cooling fins. For those cars with no hood vents, ALL of that hot radiator air will be flowing under the car and any "cooling fins" will be bathing in it. I suppose it's less of an issue at high speeds but in slower, hotter city traffic I bet it is.

23. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Am I correct the conversion involves changing
    - The exhaust components rear of the exhaust headers (which I've already done and are direct replacements for the US/Air Pump headers).*
    - The rear bumper
    - The sheetmetal below the US rear bumper
    ...?

*Does MIE's exhaust kit include the components for the entire conversion, including Euro resonators from the headers back to the tips and such?

Cheers,
    - Art

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Art,

This is not a very easy or satisfactory conversion for your car, one with the large rubber bumpers.
    I had a friend who did this to his and it looked like hell IMHO because he didn't do the entire bumper conversion in the rear. It was a cobbled together look with the tips coming out of the original rear valence. The muffler had to be modified so that tips aligned.

The rear bumper conversion is not a simple job. It involves a different transaxle mount in the rear. Look into that if you want to do this otherwise ... you could just eliminate the two rear canisters and possibly put a set of nice SS tips on the rest of the remaining muffler you have now. There's nothing wrong with it. When those rear canisters ARE eliminated the car becomes louder and some people don't care for that change. Some really like it. If you have already put the better headers on then you're 95% of the way to a free flowing exhaust anyway. Those thermal reactors and the stunted distributor advance is the other thing that needs to be addressed. When I checked my valve timing while doing all of this it was already set to European specs. The other emissions issues were not.

71Satisfaction likes this.