car design thread | Page 345 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    #8601 330 4HL, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    “Today, on our Centenary, we demonstrate our vision of the future of our Marque"

Bentley's new motto: "nothing succeeds like excess"
    - more shiny bits please ; we need more copper, brass, and crystal!!

jm2 likes this.
  2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "...and people are still buying those Lexus thingies, so let make our grille even BIGGER!"
    To hell with aero, put in a bigger battery!
    “Today, on our Centenary, we demonstrate our vision of the future of our Marque" (just as soon as we can find it.......) :confused:

jm2 likes this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Had a conversation with a Toyota/Lexus designer yesterday. Of course the 'spindle' grille came up. They are all in on that thing. They are touting their Japaneseness to the max. :(

ModernLou, JCR and anunakki like this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Bad taste prevails and not just in automobiles. Every time I see a millennial covered in tattoos I think I could become a billionaire if only I could figure out a method to remove tattoos painlessly when they discover their mistake in a few years:)

JCR and ChadR like this.
  5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    video by Gooding:

Hadn't really associated the two before, but it's not difficult to see where the 1966 Duetto Spider origins lay - 1953 Alfa Romeo "Superflow"

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

That last restoration really makes the car look super perfect. It sat for so many years in the Rosso Bianco Auto Museum before being brought to the USA. I think the body was modified 5 times. My favorite was the white closed fender wingless version from 1958, very close to the Duetto only better. This one is the strangest.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

colombo2cam and energy88 like this.
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have you had your "spindle immunity" shot yet? :D So effective, you don't even notice them anymore!

ModernLou, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Wow, what a collection of abominations.
    You managed to capture the 'best of the best' :eek:

Used to work with a guy who was fond of saying: "That lacerates my eyeballs".
    My line was: "It's come to this"
    Unfortunately ,in this case, both apply.

It would all be hilarious, if it weren't so............what's the word? Serious?

As a tool, the computer has given designers the freedom & power to create these. I can't imagine someone sitting down and actually sketching these.

of2worlds and anunakki like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    They are NOT out of ideas just yet. This path still appears open to the theme all things SPINDLE. :p

jm2 likes this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Don't give them any ideas!!

energy88 likes this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The color green is making a comeback.

Cars are literally turning green, say GM design head
    Bo SeoReporter
    Jul 12, 2019 — 12.20am

Sharon Gauci is the winner of the inaugural Women in Design award. Dominic Lorrimer

Green remains, on absolute terms, an unusual choice for motorists. Insurance group Youi found that 2.7 per cent of policyholders in 2017 had a green car.

But Ms Gauci said the colour's ascendancy was reflected not just in the number of green cars sold but in the undertones of adjacent colours. "Blue is becoming more teal," she said.

The Australian designer said the trend, which was also reflected in kitchenware and furniture, might reflect people's desire to reconnect with the natural world.

"With every day being so busy, there might be a yearning for comfort, for peacefulness, nature," she said.

make their products more environmentally sustainable – or "green". GM chief executive Mary Barra has repeatedly committed the company to an "all-electric future".

Ms Gauci said the business was at an "intersection of major changes" as its environmental turn coincided with the rise of technologies such as self-driving cars.

"In my 26 years, this is the most exciting time to be a designer. What we're doing is paving the way for the future of mobility," she said.

The Melbourne native, who now lives in Detroit, is back in Australia to accept the inaugural Women in Design Award at the annual Good Design Awards.

Other prizewinners included the designers of the Inventia Rastrum 3D bioprinter and a vision-based underwater robotic system called Rangerbot.

RELATED
    Tesla delivers record number of electric cars in quarter
    Ms Gauci received her bachelor's degree in design at Swinburne University, before embarking on a career that has spanned roles at Ford, BMW, and Holden.

She credited her style to an eclectic range of influences that she encountered as a young woman in Melbourne and during travels abroad. But she added this diversity in design was disappearing around the world.

"You used to have makers who were creating their own things, T-shirts that were being printed by local designers ... now on Chapel Street [in Melbourne], it's chain brand stores," she said.

Describing formative experiences in Japan and Europe, she said her purpose for travel had been to see "different points of view", but it was now harder to spot the same diversity in design.

Her solution to the problem this posed to the creative process was to revert to an older model of working with the hands.

"I send my designers out from behind the computers to touch, smell, and see what inspires them ... Using hands is a journey of discovery. You might have an intention but, in the process of making something, you discover something else," she said.

When it all came together, the impact of design on people could be profound.

She recalled seeing an Audi TT after its launch in 1998, and knowing that she had to have one. "It was product design on wheels," she said.

13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Good! We could use some more colors. I'm looking for something new this time around and waiting on the 2020 models to see what happens.

For 2019, Lexus came out with a new green for the ES 350. Said to be inspired by the greens in the ocean. Haven't seen one in the wild yet, so don't know if it is really special. Looks a bit metallic.

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I must have been ahead of the curve.........I had one 10 yrs ago. Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and energy88 like this.
  15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The picture at the end of the article where the car was racing the train reminded me of Loewy's contribution to design of railroad locomotives for nearly all the manufacturers- the S1 and T1 steam locomotives, the GG1 electric locomotive, and various diesel locomotives including the "shark nose."

Image Unavailable, Please Login S1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login T1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login GG1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Shark Nose
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Switcher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Switcher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Streamliner

16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    These were all done 'in house' at GM Styling at the time.
    Electromotive Division

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  19. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Just finished watching Autoline After hours.
    Personally I think these guys (and most of the current conventional wisdom on this) are completely out to lunch.
    Ride share (ubiquitous transportation) vs style: personally, if I'm hiring a car to take me somewhere, I want to arrive in style not in some million mile ****-box.
    I want NOW not yesterday.
    Style will be more important not less important!
    Give me a Tesla not a Checker Marathon -

jm2 likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm afraid you might be in the minority. Design across the board is at an all time low.

JCR likes this.
  21. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I know I’m not the first to see the similarities between the locomotives and the 999
    (Apologies for the 2-wheeled content)

colombo2cam, Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Boomhauer, energy88 and jm2 like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan