My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Congratulations! Beautiful, beautiful car. Welcome to the madness :)

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #27 Napoli, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Been there. Don’t remember exact number, but it was just south of $4,000 for the 488. Add the windshield damage clause to your insurance policy and breathe easy.

I explored having the windshield film applied to my 488, but, ultimately, I declined. According to several film guys I spoke with, the size and curvature of the windshield make for a challenging job, which often results in a less than perfect outcome. This was a while back. Maybe things have changed since.

Great spec, BTW. I’m a grigio man myself. :cool:

sampelligrino and of2worlds like this.
  3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  4. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Love the color combo
    I am quite partial to the silver/grey colors
    They scream less visually while bringing out the fine details of the body shape
    Well done
    Anyone who complains about the 488 ( not the fastest...not the loudest...not the best looking...yada...yada...yada)
    Just don’t get it and never will. It is the classiest...
    Ignore the naysayers and enjoy the miles of smiles!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Gorgeous new rig man. I love the color too , not red. Safe travels and all the best, Kirk

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Congrats. How exciting. Enjoy. Beautiful color combo.

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #32 sampelligrino, Jul 11, 2019
    Thanks guys, appreciate all the kind words and great to see the other grigio 488s. I saw this color in person on a 488 GTB on consignment at FSV last year and had to have it, coming from GT silver for my 911s. Loved the way it accentuates the lines on the 488 without being too light or too dark

Argento and bianco avus were my fall back choices but never considered that route :) Ultimately though I am realizing you just can't go wrong

Appreciate the tip, that pushed me over the edge to go decline the Clearplex windshield film. I've heard of some similar issues, and even some potential distortion since I'll also have the windshield tinted on the inside. Will be sure to check with State Farm on the windshield clause

Can't wait to get behind the wheel for the first time but surprisingly this part of the wait hasn't been so bad. I'm just jazzed to see it all come together in person after seeing some Pista stripes come from the factory wrong (lol) and wondering how accurate or inaccurate the configurator renderings would be. Even got the Michelin PSS I requested :)

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Funny side note and a warning to anyone else keen on sharing the “delivery” or viewing experience with a family member or friend:

Walk up to the dealer’s doors and there she is front and center in her full glory. I am just soaking the moment in when my father casually and quietly brushes past me, opens the driver’s side door, sits in it, and starts the car for the very first time. Lmao I had a good laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C50, of2worlds and MANDALAY like this.
  9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    beautiful colour inside out! Congratulations on a magnificent car!

10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Welcome to the 488 club, congratulations!! Your choice of caliper color really works!!

11. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Congratulations Sam! Was fun following along with the spec process and now terrific to see it all together.

My wife and I did the reverse drive years ago when we bought the Scuderia in Southern California and drove it back north, it's still a wonderful memory for us. I know you'll have a great time with your dad.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!! You finally got your car.

Looks like as stated before you are on my train of thought with the std wheels and aluminium calipers . Love them !!! I guess in our opinion it looks better.

Love the colour combination of the inside , done really well. Would have looked meh if the dash was black.

Unfortunately though your cars have that hideous thing on the roof.

I think maybe you should enquire if you can get those bumper indicators smoke black lens ?

Great spec , GREAT CAR , ENJOY . And well done having the dad there with you. Wish I had mine.

sampelligrino and of2worlds like this.
  13. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Beautiful. Titanio! And the herringbone homage to the 308! Gorgeous!

14. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    wow, what a color combo! that car is beautiful! like a liquid metal, really nice!

enjoy many miles in good health :)

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #40 sampelligrino, Jul 11, 2019

Cheers gents, thanks again for the kind words. Glad you guys enjoy and very happy to share with you all

Grazie! And that's the plan :) We did Porsche euro delivery last year and will do it again next year with another 911 as well, very grateful we share these experiences together

A big thanks for all your help my friend, your input was very appreciated. Most especially on the little things that I would have never picked up on as a first timer, like the standard mirror and the standard headliner. Once I get the car back I'll have fun paying much more attention to these little details, I admit I blacked out during the delivery lmao. Barely realized I had the Cavallino stitched in headrest, the leather headliner/rear shelf, the electrochromatic mirrors, never tried the lifter, etc

It also worked out really nice timing wise, as the following day my dad had to leave for a business trip to Asia for a couple weeks and I refused to see the car until we could both do it together. Booked a flight last minute to squeeze in the visit the day before, once I got the green light. Great privilege and memory for us, followed by Italian for dinner of course

You were spot on that it really is a special feeling and moment to finally see your car that you specced. Through the entire process from start to finish, cost be damned

Re the bumper indicators, it's all good I am a big OEM guy and will likely leave the car as the exact way it left the factory :) Really pleased with the car as it is, no tinkering for me! Well except for the titanium bolts, and non OEM battery lol

of2worlds, Bundy and MANDALAY like this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Really glad your happy. Now enjoy her. Well done , a memory to last a life time :)

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Looks real nice Sam, congratulations. That's one of the best colors for the 488 too.

I'll be interested to hear what your experiences are with the different battery, once you've had the car for a few months.

Watch the front end on the 488 also, it's easy to scrape the part that's just aft of the front lip area. I believe you ordered the lift with the car; if so, anytime you think you "might need it", use it. On my 488, I scrapped up the front area on the car in several areas where the 458 cleared no problem. There are a couple of areas back under there on the 488 which aren't real forgiving when it comes to dips and bumps.

Anyway, enjoy the car in good health :)

Ray

ca_scud and sampelligrino like this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #43 Shadowfax, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Congrats sampelligrino, very nice combo combo and spec! Love the GT. Like yourself it was 488 for me too. Enjoy it - 488 is an absolutely sensational car!

Agree with everything Ray says about the lift. If in any form of doubt use it. The rear splitter is also so very easily scraped on driveway exit too - always depart at the 45% - as is the under front area a bit back as Ray has pointed out. There was a time when I thought I didn't need it and scraped it just back from the front on the most lowest speed hump you could ever imagine. So wish I'd used the lift! - but lesson quickly learned. So yeah use the lift if you see anything that remotely looks like being an issue.

19. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sam - That's a beautiful rig. Congratulations and safe travels.

20. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Beautiful car Sam. I would suggest the windshield wrap. My guy here in Portland has customers from La Jolla ship their cars up to him for wrapping.

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks guys, and appreciate the tips on the lifter. I wasn't planning on using it much, as the 488 looks like a lifted pick up truck compared to my 911 GT3 but you guys may have spared me that first nasty scrape with those tips

Ray I will let you know about the aftermarket lead acid, and I sure pray / hope I have nothing notable to report lol....

Thanks my friend, care to elaborate why re windshield wrap? Did you do Clearplex or the new Exoshield? I'm still leaning towards avoiding it and bearing the risk with car insurance replacement, as I will be for sure ceramic tinting the windshield and windows to reduce heat and protect the leather dash. Combined with a windshield film I've heard you can get some distortion

Thanks Joe!!

22. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Sam, a friend of mine wrapped his entire 488 spyder except for the windshield. He went on a road trip to Central Oregon last summer and got a chip in the glass which makes him a believer (and me) of doing the windshield. I must confess I do not know what the product is. My first 488 I had the front third and windshield wrapped locally. My new to me 488 had the windshield done in Newport Beach by the dealer. I am going to have the entire car done here next month.

23. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Sam, I saw your car this morning in person. As soon as I saw the wheels and brake calipers, I knew it was your car.

Great color combination, looks even better in person.

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I am going to pass for now with my detailer that I'm using in NorCal, but I may revisit this once I have the car in LA. My guy down here does the new Exoshield film and I'm still researching/weighing the pros and cons. Let me know how your experience goes and how you like it!

Thanks man, glad you liked the car and spec. Jealous you got to see her as I didn't even want to leave the dealership / say goodbye lol. I told Jason the GM to guard her with his life, she'll be there until next Wednesday getting transported to Fremont for the PPF

ca_scud and of2worlds like this.
  25. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    So happy for you Sam!!! It looks great!!! Congratulations!!! Now only a few more weeks until you will be driving it. Once you take delivery do not hesitate to reach out if have any questions on how everything works. :)

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.