Immobilizer Gone Forever | FerrariChat

Immobilizer Gone Forever

Discussion in '360/430' started by albkid, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Working with 360Trev, I have have removed the two Immobilizer modules from a 2003 F1 Modena. It is a joy not to be burdened by the necessity to press the key fob if I fail to start the car within the 120 second rule imposed by this system.

To have the ECUs re-flashed required removal of both ECUs. The driver side was straightforward; the passenger side was quite difficult because of the various hoses that blocked access to the 10 mm bolts securing this ECU to the chassis.

Both ECUs were shipped to Trevor's USA affiliate. The turnaround time was less than 48 hours.

Before reinstalling the ECUs, I opened the fuse/relay compartment from behind the driver's seat and removed both immobilizer modules. I also performed the starter relay bypass modification. This procedure is well documented on FerrariChat. To accomplish this required cutting two wires from one of the immobilizer connectors and joining them together.

After reconnecting the battery, the vehicle started up without any difficulty whatsoever.

Although I am obliged to use the key to lock/unlock the vehicle, I will address a new remote locking system at some time in the future.

My thanks to Trevor for the invaluable service he has rendered to the Ferrari community in decoding the Bosch mapping of the ECUs. I am grateful for his efforts as I am no longer tethered to equipment that could fail at any time and for which there may be no spare parts available. For example, Ricambi does not show replacement ECUs for a 2003 F1 Modena. This is undoubtedly a sign that replacement electronics is becoming serious issue.

becir1, brookliner7, 360trev and 3 others like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Imagine what 458 ownership will be like in 15 yrs?

3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I cant wait to do this also

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RANDY6005 and 360trev like this.
  4. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    What is the cost of the flashing ecu"s ?

360trev likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This has raised the value of 360s

360trev and bergxu like this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I will definitely be deleting my immobilizer and putting in an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system...still a few projects ahead of it.

360trev likes this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It was an absolute pleasure to help with this. The idea that our members won't have cars with dated alarm immobilizer system failing and making the car unreliable is music to my ears.

My own personal 360 suffered from this issue and the problems it caused where terribly difficult to understand and rectify even for experienced techs. The system is an abomination and getting more unreliable with age, the fact we now have the opportunity and option of removing will no doubt prevent cars in the future from being written off due to lack of available parts necessary to cure the faults.

I'm currently fixing a solution for 612 owners too and already it also works on F430s and 575Ms too. If you need help with this system and have a different model let me know, e.g. F355 or 456, F599, etc. and I'll look into it for you..

Trev

one4torque, RANDY6005 and brookliner7 like this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I do have one concern...it seems that when reading codes with my Foxwell scanner, it will only read the right bank ECU after activating the immo...will the delete affect that at all?

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I have a Foxwell NT520 and don't have any problem with reading either bank but I haven't tried it with immobilizer active as my immobilizer is removed entirely from the car.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Can you exorcise the immobilizer from a 550 with 5.2 motronics?

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sure can.

GaryR likes this.
  12. seaflea

seaflea Rookie

Sep 13, 2011