Urgent help needed please | FerrariChat

Urgent help needed please

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by belfry, Jul 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login 1992 Mondial T rhd

I have been trying to trace intermittent heater blower issues. I have found some dangerous shorting happening behind the passenger foot plate.

I intend to fix (bridge) this damaged section, however, It would be very useful to know what this brown wire serves?

Many thanks in advance

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's not shorting. It's (I^2)*R heating in either in the swagging of those brown-black wires to their respective connectors or between the connectors. That brown-black wire probably serves the AC system (including the cabin blower), and the current is quite high (like ~15A steady state and even higher at blower start-up) so even a very small unwanted resistance like 50~100 milliOhms results many Watts of power being dissipated in a very small volume which heats things up a lot.

2NA likes this.
  3. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thank you. I’ve sorted out the wiring now and finally the air on, heater blower and fan speed issues are fixed!

4. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Looks like some Testarossa wiring I have encountered :-0

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Sorry but this is one of my pet peeves and shows that people really need to be better educated in basic electronics. A short is NOT a generic term for electrical issues, using this term can cause confusion when trying to explain a problem...a short circuit is 2 conductors that are unintentionally connecting and causing a signal to be passed along a different path.

What YOU have looks like an overcurrent situation....and if you did not fix the actual component that is causing that condition, then you are going to have bigger problems, and you have not fixed the issue at all, all you did was splice a connection. My guess is that your blower motor is on it's way out, causing excess current to be pulled from you electrical system and if you keep using it as is, you could be causing more (expensive) problems. You need to figure out the root cause of your issue and actually fix it or you are asking for trouble.

tomberlin and BOKE like this.
  6. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thanks for the advice. What would my next steps be? How would I go about checking?

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Try to find a wiring diagram online...you can trace the offending wire also, but that would be a difficult endeavor.

BOKE likes this.